...life can be translucent

Menu

Hilary's Book Arrived Today

LloydWilliams

visitor
Reaction score
Hilary,

1. your book is visually beautiful. I love the pen and ink illustrations. The layout is easy to read and use. The Gua in the upper right corner makes finding the right page easy.

2. your translation is clear and easy to understand.

3. looking forward to using it.

Thanks.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks! I insisted on the gua in the corner of the page, as I know how much easier that makes things. Couldn't get the reference chart printed on a cover, though, despite asking ever so nicely...

jilt

visitor
Reaction score
I have the book some time now, and I love the interpretation, it is as clear as water.
I worked through quite some interpretations, but Hilary's book stands out as a sincere and bright work.
I think the Wilhelm in soul and sphere is the basic interpretation for western languages, but when the Wilhelm isn't clear (and sometimes it isn't) then you need Hilary's work.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you. :bows:

I think the Wilhelm is pretty much the King James version - or what the King James would be if it had been translated into all European languages.

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using Hilary's book for quite some time now, and it is the most reliable one I have. I feel with every interpretation that it is based on experience. When you actually use it, you feel that you can rely on what it says. No theory, but lots of common sense. I love it.

yamabushi

visitor
Reaction score
today I also get a Hillary book, it is really beautifully, and so much text in so little volume...

tamara0815

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you Hilary! I was looking in your product section and couldnt find it. I will buy it on amazon.

beyond_the_veil

visitor
Reaction score
Hilary, I was just wondering if you had plans to produce the book in hardcover and possibly in a 8.5 X5 inch format. I would like to have your book in a more durable and portable format. I have found that your book seems to bear more accurate insight to my situations and, to be quite honest, though I read Wilhelms and Huangs first, it's usually in a hurried fashion so I can get to yours...hehehe.

bamboo

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Now that there is Hilary's book, the other ones can go in the trash, IMO. (alright, not my jack balkin, cause that one is worth money), but HIlary's is by far the best ...with apologies to brad because I havent gotten around to ordering his yet. if LiSe were to publish hers, then between the three of them, I think a shelf would be as complete as it's ever going to get.

I LOVE hilary's book, it is authentically Yi with all of H's insight, depth and experience.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, the above should say 'The following user says thank you to Bamboo for this kind post' - you know what I mean!

As for hardcover (or Kindle) versions - that's for the publisher to plan, not me. I don't expect it will sell well enough to pay for a hardback version, but you never know your luck.

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
I just got my copy!

Are you going to write another book?

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, that was quick! Straight from 'got the book' to 'next?' ;)

One day, no doubt. Brad said something wise about the first version being the one you have to do so you can get to the next one. Sounds about right...

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
hehehe, yeah I was being cheeky. But its from reading your blog and your posts in reading circle I know that your knowledge has deepened and broadened further that's all.

Also pulling together a kind of collection of the creativity the occurs within the clarity community would make a book, much like how and what your blog pieces are but expanded I guess. Also I think you deserve a more serious looking book with a hard cover and all. They made it look kind of like a coffee table book, I'm not knocking it but it doesn't give the impression of its true value with the design they gave it. But the illustrations are nice, and its very cool that you have LiSe's characters for each gua.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
hehehe, yeah I was being cheeky. But its from reading your blog and your posts in reading circle I know that your knowledge has deepened and broadened further that's all.

Also pulling together a kind of collection of the creativity the occurs within the clarity community would make a book, much like how and what your blog pieces are but expanded I guess. Also I think you deserve a more serious looking book with a hard cover and all. They made it look kind of like a coffee table book, I'm not knocking it but it doesn't give the impression of its true value with the design they gave it. But the illustrations are nice, and its very cool that you have LiSe's characters for each gua.

Isn't it? Though I do wish they could have made them big enough to see.

The book I'd like to be able to write probably has a kind of essay about each hexagram, showing how all the different layers come together in a single pattern, and then also individual usable commentary on each hexagram and line. And since I wrote the book, I've been looking much more at the Tuanzhuan, and now I think that should be included. And the hexagram-related texts from the Dazhuan, of course. And the Chinese text. And how about some hexagram-inspired photos?

...and so on... probably just as well I had a publisher imposing a page limit, on the whole :rolleyes:.

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
oh that sounds like an awesome book, but yes a huge undertaking. It makes me think of hex 60 and how that can be a blessing. Anyway I'm really enjoy having it here in my hands, and today another book arrived, miranda July's 'it chooses you' and this is a paragraph on procrastination that I love and relate to (she is referring to surfing the internet instead of finishing writing a screenplay:

The funny thing about my procrastination was that I was almost done with the screenplay. I was like a person who had fought dragons and lost limbs and crawled through swamps and now, finally, the castle was visible. I could see tiny children waving flags on the balcony; all I had to do was walk across a field to get to them. But all of a sudden I was very, very sleepy. And the children couldn't believe their eyes as I folded down to my knees and fell to the ground face-first, with my eyes open. Motionless, I watched ants hurry in and out of a hole and I knew that standing up again would be a thousand times harder than the dragon or the swamp and so I did not even try. I just clicked on one thing after another after another.

beyond_the_veil

visitor
Reaction score
As I have mentioned before, I would love to see your book in a portable hardcover and having the ten wings in it.

soshin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I have the book some time now, and I love the interpretation, it is as clear as water.
I worked through quite some interpretations, but Hilary's book stands out as a sincere and bright work.
I think the Wilhelm in soul and sphere is the basic interpretation for western languages, but when the Wilhelm isn't clear (and sometimes it isn't) then you need Hilary's work.

Couldn't have said it nearly as well, but yes - it is true.
A breakthrough book and an early masterpiece.
:bows:

stuart

visitor
Reaction score
I was in Glastonbury the other week, I saw Hilary's book for sale. Had a browse, an exceptional book a must for anyone's collection.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).