...life can be translucent

Menu

R. L. Wing

gregcat

visitor
Reaction score
Does anyone know who R. L. Wing is or was? I can't find any biographical information on this writer of the I Ching Workbook. I even contacted the current publishers of this book who said they couldn't be bothered because they're busy working on some new software program, and why didn't I google the guy? (I have, I had, only amazon.com hits come up with nothing about the person.)

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
A good question. An R. L. Wing wrote "A Vine Of God's Own Planting: A History Of Houghton College From Its Beginnings Through 1972."

ISBN-13: 9780898272925
ISBN-10: 0898272920
Pages: 495 Publisher: Wesleyan Publishing House

Might be the same person.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I seem to remember this person being a Type F hominid, rather than a Type M.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
In "The Art of Strategy" by R.L. Wing, Rita Aero is credited only with 'design'. It purports to be a new translation, but no translator is identified.

jfas

visitor
Reaction score
I did not find the R.L. Wing workbook helpful. I actually found it fairly harmful in its interpretations when I was young and new to the I Ching. I would not recommend it.

vakos

visitor
Reaction score
I did not find the R.L. Wing workbook helpful. I actually found it fairly harmful in its interpretations when I was young and new to the I Ching. I would not recommend it.

Could you be a little more specific? I do find that some hexagram judgments in the book do not correspond with my experience, but what parts do you find harmful?

Thanks!

elias

visitor
Reaction score

Though I've never found Wing harmful, I don't often find her particularly insightful either. It was my first really accessible interpretation and it still holds some emotional value for me. To Wing's credit, she is one of the few authors to address static hexagrams. The book's advantage is in its record-keeping format,and I still use it for that purpose.

qafinaf

visitor
Reaction score
Aero Wing

Wing is clever pseudonym for someone named Aero.

m1acha3

visitor
Reaction score
Rita Aero is R. L. Wing

In "The Art of Strategy" by R.L. Wing, Rita Aero is credited only with 'design'. It purports to be a new translation, but no translator is identified.

Greetings. Rita Aero, who is listed as the originator of the design of The Illustrated I-Ching, is actually R.L. Wing. She may have selected that pseudonym, particularly Wing, as a means of suggesting or adding a certain perceived authenticity or cache to her wonderfully insightful books given that many individuals may think the name "Wing" suggests Chinese background. In the early 1980s, I spoke with her by phone having secured her contact information from Fred Cline, who worked at the Asian Art Library in San Francisco and is mentioned in the Acknowledgments of her book.

Last edited:

BuzzT13

visitor
Reaction score
I lost my 1978 version it had bio info on RL Wing. I have about three different books translating the I Ching and one is very complicated direct translation from a Chinese Mandarin speaking individual I still own a very thick paperback from sometime prior to purchasing RL Wing's I Ching Workbook. I never looked for bio information but I found this workbook to be an easier method to use than the accurate version. I hope you find what it ks you are looking for. Have you searched the Library of Congress?

BuzzT13

visitor
Reaction score
I do not understand harmful? I was in my early 20's when I explored the way. I am a genius though so maybe that is why I found it interesting. Harmful I do not wish to insult you but following the way is a lot like reading Dear Abby. It explains the circle of life pretty well. I used three pennies all heads/tails a straight line one penny not matching a broken line.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).