Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: coming to meet

Default coming to meet

Hello, I'm new here. Not sure if I'm doing it correctly. I just wanted to know what people can tell me about how they'd interpret 44 lines 2 and 3. My question was in reference to a potential boyfriend. I'd appreciate any advice. I can't find the interpetations for the lines anywhere. Thank you. Chloe.

Hello Chloe,

Sounds like initially all's well, or was well between you. Therefter things went awry/petered
    out - or will ...
    I think the picture described by the IC may aptly sum up the situation or what will ensue.
    Fear not, thereafter things may sort themselves out. Best not to keep your hopes up.
    If there's no fault on your part (Line 3), I suggest you let go. If things don't work out, it's not
    meant to be. Should the situation improve, it'll do so in its own time.
    "Everything comes gradually and at its appointed hour".

Do consult free online translations of the IC: Hilary's, LiSe, Legge, Wilhelm. I'd suggest
    becoming familiar with at least two or three versions whenever casting, thereby you'll gain
    a fairly clear picture and understanding of the message conveyed. In this instance, IMO
    Hex.44 represents mutual attraction and possibly the impression of yourself as a strong woman.

Hex. 44 Coupling
    The situation described by this hexagram is characterized by the magnetic attraction of primal
    Yin and Yang, a meeting driven by powerful instinctual forces, beyond the control of social
    or personal considerations.
    Coupling.
    Woman's vigor.
    No availing of grasping womanhood.

Line 2
    Enwrapping possess fish.
    Without fault.
    Not harvesting: hospitality.
    Comments: Enwrapping possesses fish.
    Righteously not extending hospitality indeed.

Line 3
    The sacrum without flesh.
    One's moving the camp moreover.
    Adversity.
    Without the great: faulty.
    Comments: One's moving the camp moreover.
    Moving, not yet hauling along indeed.

The Original I Ching Oracle: Ritsema & Sabbadini

http://www.sacred-texts.com/ich/index.htm (Legge)
    http://www.yijing.nl/ (LiSe)
    http://www2.unipr.it/~deyoung/I_Chin...lation.html#27 (Wilhelm)
    Last edited by themis; March 14th, 2011 at 03:44 PM.

Default thank you themis

Almost all of what you've written is very apt. Wasn't able though to get the last interpretations of the lines though.. Bit obscure to me. I'll hunt around and have a look at some other interpretations.
    In my impatience though, I did throw the coins again and ask the same question. It came to Hexagram 2 , line 5. Auspicious..but what? do I have to keep yellow nickers on?? ( I have no wish to sound vulgar, lol, but this is another interpretation I'm not quite sure about. Do you have any ideas about that one? It's quite amusing really.)

You're funny ... yellow knickers (Yellow = emblematic and imperial color of China, since the
    Yellow Emperor 2500 BC. 'Apron' = ceremonial garment.) Actually it's just a question of 'wait and see' at this stage. That's about the best way to understand the Sage's message. What's essential is to grasp the general picture, the gist of it. If you pay detailed attention to the text re. each line and expect the results indicated therein to materialise you may be somewhat disappointed or pleasantly surprised.

Having said that, there are instances where the text does literally reflect the actual circumstances and it's quite uncanny. What I mean is ... say ... line 53.5 ... here we have the case of a wife who's being neglected, we're led to believe that all will work out favourably, she'll have a child after three years (a lady who finds herself in this situation might give birth before/after three years and might not at all, but the relationship may resume). In actual fact the essence of the message is that she's been treated unfairly but there's no guarantee in every single case that thereafter they'll reconciliate, unless line 5 is followed by line 6.

In line 53.3 we have the case of a husband who's been disciplined, leaves on an expedition
    and does not return. However, even if 53.3 is not followed by an encouraging line such as
    53.4 or 53.6 doesn't imply in every instance that he will not return. He may well 'return' in the
    sense that he'll make amends, they'll continue life together, etc. The IC speaks to each and
    everyone according to their understanding.

About your latest casting, well that looks promising. However when one approaches the Oracle
    with the same question yet again, one may receive a contradictory response, unless you make
    it clear that you need clarification or additional insight to guide you in your next steps.

So best to wait and see ... and just Enjoy ! Be careful not to rush things, in view of the fact
    that the Sage has presented 'images' of the situation: 44.2 and next 44.3.
    You're the best judge of it all, this is just a suggestion ...

Alternatively, you could try using Jesed's method of questioning along the lines of:
    General analysis of the situation between X and I?
    My position in relation to X ?
    X's position in relaion to me ?
    What's the best thing for me to do ? (If responses are unfavourable.)

Hex. 2 Space
    The situation described by this hexagram is characterised by the dominance of Yin, the receptive
    and formative quality of being that allows all things to become what they are, available and
    nurturing like the surface of the earth supporting all creatures. In excess, this receptivity may
    become dull, inert immobility. The hexagram Space is the doubling of the corresponding trigram,
    and partakes of its attributes.
    Space.
    Spring. Growing. Harvesting. Trial belonging to the female horse.
    A jun zi possesses directed going.
    Beforehand delusion, afterwards acquiring.
    A lord Harvesting.
    Western South: acquiring partnering.
    Eastern North: losing partnering.
    Peaceful Trial, signifcant.

Line 5
    A yellow apron. Spring, significant.
    Comments: Pattern located in the center indeed.
    Last edited by themis; March 17th, 2011 at 12:55 PM.

well I had this line recently and i decided to take it literally and so i wore a pair of yellow undies (along with other clothes of course) to a bbq, and all went really well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chingching For This Useful Post:

deepstillwater (March 18th, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by chloe123 View Post
    Hello, I'm new here. Not sure if I'm doing it correctly. I just wanted to know what people can tell me about how they'd interpret 44 lines 2 and 3. My question was in reference to a potential boyfriend. I'd appreciate any advice. I can't find the interpetations for the lines anywhere. Thank you. Chloe.
    44 is by far the most misunderstood hexagram in the Yi (22 is second). This is mainly because people jump way too quickly to the wrong conclusion about the "woman power" thing and will twist every subsequent word in the text to fit this misunderstanding.
    It may help to think of this as being about the effort to resist dissipation, distraction or untimely action - an act of self-preservation.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bradford For This Useful Post:

chingching (March 18th, 2011)

unsubscribed_cm Guest

Yes 44 ladies is not some "you go girl" power up. This is a situation of bad influences. To be avoided at all costs. If you fall into the seduction of power you are enacting 44 in exactly the way the Yijing advises against.

sooo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bradford View Post
    44 is by far the most misunderstood hexagram in the Yi (22 is second). This is mainly because people jump way too quickly to the wrong conclusion about the "woman power" thing and will twist every subsequent word in the text to fit this misunderstanding.
    It may help to think of this as being about the effort to resist dissipation, distraction or untimely action - an act of self-preservation.
    Have to say, I've gone full circle on this one, and more than once. I usually wind up somewhere around the middle, between its potential harm and its potential good, and depends on the choices that one makes. I surely am not of the 'avoid at all costs' category, but I do sit up and take notice, especially where my own inner bitch is concerned.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sooo For This Useful Post:

anemos (March 18th, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by sooo View Post
    especially where my own inner bitch is concerned.
    The Mawangdui manuscript (before 168 BCE) has different Hexagram names for half of the Hexagrams.
    For 44 the word is another character pronounced Gou3, meaning "the bitch, a dog; term of contempt; to hound".

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bradford For This Useful Post:

anemos (March 18th, 2011)

sooo Guest

Default "You're not you when you're hungry"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sooo For This Useful Post:

rodaki (March 19th, 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast