Menu

Grace/Beauty to Biting Through

yxeli

visitor
Reaction score
This morning, I asked the oracle ''where will this relationship take us?''

I received Hex 22, 'Grace/Beauty' which had two changing lines;

Graceful and moist.
Constant perseverance brings good fortune.

This represents a very charming life situation. One is under the spell of grace and he mellow mood induced by wine. This grace can adorn, but it can also swamp us. Hence the warning not to sink into convivial indolence but to remain constant in perseverance. Good fortune depends on this.

Six in the fourth place means:
Grace or simplicity?
A white horse comes as if on wings.
He is not a robber,
he will woo at the right time.

An individual is in a situation in which doubts arises to which is better – to pursue the grace of external brilliance, or to return to simplicity. To doubt itself implies the answer. Confirmation comes from the outside; it comes like a white winged horse. The white color indicates simplicity. At first it may be disappointing to renounce comforts that might have been obtained, yet one finds peace of mind in a true relationship with the friend who courts him. The winged horse is the symbol of the thoughts that transcend all limits of space and time.

This translation seemed obvious to me, the relationship is in transience and there are one of two ways to be taken, and the simple way will be chosen?:confused:

It then moved to Hexagram 21, 'Biting through'. I searched through the archive and saw that this combination was discussed previously,

But as soon as someone at the market calls out 'Finest silk!' Biting Through starts to blend into its pair: Hexagram 22, Beauty. The sequence leading from 21 to 22 says that 'beings cannot be united carelessly,' and indeed the moving lines of Hexagram 22 do describe marital and courtship ceremonies. After you have bitten through to the essence, you need to find ways to express it; inner work is matched by the task of finding a true face for the world.

Am I right to understand the i ching is telling me that the relationship will move toward courtship, and what must be taken into account is the boundaries (laws) that must be laid? 'Biting through' seems to me, a quite harsh 'judgement' kind of hexagram.

Thanks for your insight and reading. :bows:

Last edited:

icastes

visitor
Reaction score
22 is the story of a wedding. The groom enters, etc., but the bride's parents, who arranged this marriage, have misrepresented themselves and the bride. There are gifts, but they were not what was expected. Despite the deception. it appears that the ceremony and the future for the couple turns out all right. The Yijing is very cautious and ambivalent about marriage. That is why it is somewhat auspicious to go somewhere. It also must be remembered that in the Yi marriage and love are not the same. Marriage is an institution and it is not a vehicle of love. With 22, there is a chance of success for love, but in this situation it is wrong to set one's sights too high as disappointment is very likely. As for marriage, 22 says investigate truly what is going on. Decide for marriage only after everything is in the open. If there is only one moving line, the fourth, the subsequent hexagram is not 21, but 30, the clinging, fire, etc.. It is a hexagram that is auspicious for those who are honest and virtuous, but for the perverse or dishonest failure is sure. Thus, for love, it indicates that both sides are passionate, but rash or impulsive acts will lead to failure. For marriage, it shows a good match, but you need a go-between to make it work. The point is very simple: the 4th line moving indicates a lot of merriment and celebration because the wife-grabbers are around. The ritual is about the ceremonial theft of the woman the man wants. It is done in public and people all participate in the spectacle. So, this affair of yours probably will go into a merry and fun period, but don't just assume that this period is something that will translate into a solid marriage or even a long-lasting love. It can be, if you and the man stick to the right path, and then you can reap the benefits of the fire (the passion).

yxeli

visitor
Reaction score
:duh:

Silly me- there were actually 2 moving lines, The second being line 3 (i have edited original post with this line )

Graceful and moist.
Constant perseverance brings good fortune.

This represents a very charming life situation. One is under the spell of grace and he mellow mood induced by wine. This grace can adorn, but it can also swamp us. Hence the warning not to sink into convivial indolence but to remain constant in perseverance. Good fortune depends on this.

This is very true, he is the most charming creature i have ever known! :) I dont know if this helps or hinders what you have written, we are certainly at the beginning (or end) of something, it has gone on for quite some time but 'commitment' ( marriage in the broadest sense of the term) has not happened.

Thank you Icastes for giving me your wisdom on this- someone with your depth of knowledge regarding the oracle is very much appreciated :)

Last edited:

icastes

visitor
Reaction score
Ah, two lines. But that makes things even more problematical. If it love you seek, there some one or some thing that is an obstacle in the way, something you might have to bite through to get rid of. If marriage is your end, again, obstacles. However, to make it work means that you have to be very positive in your actions and you must be persevering. You might then have a good chance to be successful. Yet, realize that there are very great difficulties.

yxeli

visitor
Reaction score
yes, it is very difficult in one sense, but both of us have been persevering for a long time with this, we have a constant shared sense of renewal and understanding.

I have asked the i ching 'what can i expect from him?'

I received Hex 26 The Taming power of the great, with both yin lines changing

''Six in the fourth place means:
The headboard of a young bull.
Great good fortune.

The line and the one following it are the two that tame the forward-pushing lower lines. Before a bull’s horns grow out, a headboard is fastened to hits forehead, so that later when the horns appear they cannot do harm. A good way to restrain wild force is to forestall it. By so doing one achieves an easy and a great success.

Six in the fifth pace means:
The tusk of the gelded boar.
Good fortune.

Here the restraining of the impetuous forward drive is achieved in an indirect way. A boar’s tusk is in itself dangerous, but if the boar’ nature is altered, the tusk is no longer a menace. Thus also where men are concerned, wild force should not be combated directly; instead, its roots should be eradicated.''

This then moves to Hexagram one- heaven- ' sublime success'' should i take this as favourable for union?

icastes

visitor
Reaction score
The boar's tusk here is not dangerous, but a great treasure. The tusk itself special, and the gelded pig brings a higher price in the marketplace. Also, a gelded boar is far less dangerous than one that is not castrated. 26 is accumulation and building up. Thus, the goods that go along with 26 are not realized now, but later. For love, there is a great possibility that there is a third-party who is opposed to you and the man, but it is all about not acting rashly and impulsively, but with perseverance. However, the question is whether he has that. The subsequent hexagram, one, is a good hexagram, but if anyone is selfish then the love will break off.

yxeli

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you Icastes, I understand alot better now. His restraint is needed to open communication with us again, his words/deeds can be quite forceful and i think he may regret alot of the things he may have said/done in the past.

As far as the third party is concerned, i have often wondered as to whether he relies too heavily on the opinion of certain third party individuals in the understanding of our relationship.

I have just consulted the Yi ; "Is there a third party holding this relationship from progressing?"

I received Hex.37 "Family''. I am particularly interested in the father making sure that all within the family may reach there own potential in their own way.

THE IMAGE

Wind comes forth from fire:
The image of THE FAMILY.
Thus the superior man has substance in his words
And duration in his way of life.

If indeed there is a third party, 'the substance of his words' seems to be affecting our relationship?

I received Line 3 changing:

Nine in the third place means:
Where tempers flare up in the family,
Too great severity brings remorse.
Good fortune nonetheless.
When woman and child dally and laugh,
It leads in the end to humiliation

In the family the proper mean between severity and indulgence outright to prevail. Too great severity toward one’s own flesh and blood leads to remorse. The wise thing is to build strong dikes within which complete freedom of movement is allowed each individual. But in doubtful instances too great severity, despite occasional mistakes, is preferable, because it preserves discipline in the family, whereas too great weakness leads to disgrace.

So there might be someone in his family holding him back by trying to make sure he has been disciplined?

It then moves to Hex 42, Increase;

INCREASE. It furthers one
To undertake something.
It furthers one to cross the great water.

Sacrifice on the part of those above for the increase of those below fills the people with a sense of joy and gratitude that is extremely valuable for the flowering of the commonwealth. When people are thus devoted to their leaders, undertakings are possible, and even difficult and dangerous enterprises will succeed. Therefore in such times of progress and successful development it is necessary to work and make the best use of the time. This time resembles that of the marriage of heaven and earth, when the earth partakes of the creative power of heaven, forming and bringing forth living beings. The time of INCREASE does not endure, therefore it must be utilized while it lasts.

THE IMAGE

Wind and thunder: the image of INCREASE.
Thus the superior man:
If he sees good, he imitates it;
If he has faults, he rids himself of them.

While observing how thunder and wind increase and strengthen each other, a man can note the way to self-increase and self-improvement. When he discovers good in others, he should imitate it and thus make everything on earth his own. If he perceives something bad in himself, let him rid himself of it. In this way he becomes free of evil. This ethical change represents the most important increase of personality.

Might the hexagram be actually saying that he must break free from the opinins of certain individuals and improve on himself?

Thank you!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).