Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Gender Association

Quote Originally Posted by heylise View Post
    It seems the right part was originally a picture of lightning. Meaning: spirit, electricity. The spirits of the ancestors also live in the earth, so the earth is filled with mysterious spirits which have power over good and bad fortune. And don't forget this huge power of fertility. How is it possible that a tiny seed grows into a huge tree? The earth has mighty powers.

Another interpretation is a picture of two hands, expanding something, which gives as meaning "to expand". Earth and expand: the wide space of the earth where all living creatures dwell.
    Hi LiSe,

Thanks for sharing your insight. There is so much going on in the roots of the tree that we don't even see . It would be easy to look at a tree and never mentally dig at the beauty below.

What you said about the earth having spirits, it makes me think about how energy companies are starting to drill horizontally into the earth for gas (not the most pleasant of thoughts). This drilling is called 'fracking' or 'hydraulic fracturing'. I guess they have been doing this for years, but now it is becoming larger and larger and it is currently in the works right where I live. There is a bunch of money in offering up your land to be drilled on, and all the land owner's see is dollar signs when making the agreement. You can imagine, the horizontal drilling naturally affects the flora and fauna of the area as well as the water supply. Not only are they drilling obtrusively into the earth, but they are pumping in chemicals to induce what they desire. It's really upsetting. Not to have a negative outlook, but I feel like the spirits of the earth are going to have to speak back to this.

About Harmen ordering Chinese books by phone, there is a lot of encouragement in that. Thanks .

Take care,
    AQ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to answeredquestions For This Useful Post:

charly (March 20th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by meng View Post
    I think neither is 100% this or that, but one is rather predisposed toward one or the other, and that predisposition is what brings out the glory of its opposite, the way night brings out the glory and visibility of the stars and planets. Even there, opposites within another paradigm can at times stand equally side by side, the way Venus and Jupiter appeared to have intercourse in the western sky last night.
    Hi Bruce,

Just so you know, I was wondering where you were at and at one point asked Hilary about your whereabouts. I was going to forward something to you that made me think of you. It was from the thread you had started a couple of years ago called Graphic Images of Yi or something like that. And guess what? That is all I remember about it! I was gathering up the photos from the thread and came across something but I don't remember what. When I remember I will let you know .

About what you said above, I read somewhere.. I think in Hua-Ching Ni's translation of Yijing.. that pure Yin and pure Yang don't exist. This made a lot of sense to me, like you said, nothing is 100% one thing. This applies to Qian and Kun just the same. In the reading, I think it was somewhere in the huge section of the book before the translation, it said that things are only considered Yin or Yang in comparision to something else. And even then, it is first off subject to change, and second off, not purely one or the other. I am female but possess qualities of Qian for sure. How much Yang/Qian might be something I need to experiment with. Truth is, the spirits of Heaven are inside of everything. And nothing, not even a block of wood can avoid being receptive to things.

Take care,
    AQ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to answeredquestions For This Useful Post:

Hi AQ,

I whimsically moved those Yi images over to Picasa and deleted them unthinkingly from Photobucket, which also removed them from that thread. However LiSe has left those images and short sayings on her server, which can be found here for future reference. Maybe it will jog your original thought or question.

I think you've put it very well, about neither being 100% one or the other. Whether one uses the yin/yang image with black having the seed of white and white having the seed of black, or our physiological ovotestes containing both ovarian and testicular tissue, or using the broad brush stroke of simply saying one can not exist without the other, the fact is that this world is a fabric of opposites.

Then there is what I find to be a particularly playful idea, that a single entity may function as predominantly yang in one activity, and in another activity function as predominantly yin, without there being a hint of contradiction or anomaly. And not only we humans but in regards to all matter, even thought, and all matters of cosmology. We tend to restrict parallel universes to contemporary quantum context, but in fact they are everywhere plain and obvious. We just don't often see it that way. "For the kingdom of Heaven (1) is spread upon all the Earth (2) and men do not see it." Gospel of Thomas

I also really like Wilhelm's comment in Kun 2.2: "The Receptive accommodates
    itself to the qualities of the Creative and makes them its own." Thus does the recipient of the creative become itself creative.

Brucester

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meng For This Useful Post:

answeredquestions (March 18th, 2012), charly (March 20th, 2012), iams girl (March 27th, 2012)

Thanks for the link. I was upset the images you posted were gone.

I think you've put it very well, about neither being 100% one or the other. Whether one uses the yin/yang image with black having the seed of white and white having the seed of black, or our physiological ovotestes containing both ovarian and testicular tissue, or using the broad brush stroke of simply saying one can not exist without the other, the fact is that this world is a fabric of opposites
    Taijitu touche

8. The Following User Says Thank You to answeredquestions For This Useful Post:

Default masculine should be feminine and the contrary

for me the masculine family members refer more to femininity and the feminine members to masculinity. The idea is pretty obvious: the majority of the lines of certain type gives the characteristic of that trigram. Of course this don't mean the actual use is wrong, just a different point of view, maybe I explain both of them, and a third that i have, in one of my next videos.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to leandroscardoso For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up

... a single entity may function as predominantly yang in one activity, and in another activity function as predominantly yin, without there being a hint of contradiction or anomaly. And not only we humans but in regards to all matter, even thought, and all matters of cosmology. We tend to restrict parallel universes to contemporary quantum context, but in fact they are everywhere plain and obvious. We just don't often see it that way. "For the kingdom of Heaven (1) is spread upon all the Earth (2) and men do not see it." Gospel of Thomas
    Hi, Bruce:

Like it very much!

In an electric circuit a point can be positive with respect to a second point and negative with respect to a third. All's relative.

Also like the quote of Thomas more than the one of Wilhelm.

QIAN and KUN are not so old characters, but composites each of two elder characters with many bone and bronze variants.

qián: Yijing or Bagua divinatory sign / warming principle of the sun / penetrating and fertilizing / heavenly generative principle (male) /// Gan: to dry /dried / sundried / exhausted // to do it / to f_ck /
    Variants: gàn, hán: trunk of tree or of human body. [gàn] sunrise; dawn. gan: a shield / to knock agains / to violate // river bank // rod / pole / flagpole /
    Components: see LiSe.

kūn: Yijing or Bagua divinatory sign / earthly fecundity principle (female) of Soil or Lands // compliance / obedience /
    Components:
    tu3 : earth / soil / land / territory / domain // local / native / indigenous // unrefined / unenlightened / rustic /
    shen1:the ninth of the Twelve Terrestrial Branches // to appeal / to plead / to state / to set forth / to explain / to explicate // to stretch / to extend / to expand // to inculcate (especially repeatedly /

Looking at the components, I believe that QIAN can be read as «SUN PERVADES» and KUN as «EARTH STRETCHES» being both actors of a SACRED MARRIAGE.

There are many suns in the universe, but for us, the only that matters is the OURS. The only land and territory we have is the EARTH. Sun and Earth are fated lovers. All the other depends of Sun and Earth MARRIAGE.

All the best,

Charly
    Last edited by charly; March 20th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.

Hi Charly,

It's funny that you mention a circuit because it's precisely the image I had in mind. Specifically an electric guitar circuit or system. It begins with passive magnetic poles, wrapped many times in wire to magnify the magnetic charge*. The guitar doesn't use a male connector but a female connector, which another male connector plugs into, which goes to the effects pedals or rack, plugging male into female, out of one with a female, into the next with a female, connected by a cord with two males (which contains zero electric charge); then out of a female via another powerless male/male cord, into the preamplifier through a female, through the preamp circuit, buffered or boosted by vacuum tubes with male connectors, to the output power via female connectors, out through female connectors to the speaker, or else hardwired directly to the speakers. The power amp circuit itself plugs into the electrical wall outlet, which is a female connector. So there's all this power being transmitted through female inputs, not through the almighty phallic prong of a male plug or jack. The male end or jack is the receptive element, not the creative. I find that to be a funny and graphic illustration, which is philosophically backwards from the archetypal, or perhaps just stereotypical idea of where power comes from and where it goes to, and so forth. Even my toaster is female. haha!

So when using examples of qián and kūn symbolically, I think we must be careful not to get carried away with narrow ideas of how they function in only one way, direction or purpose, and give greater thought to where energy is really generated from.

In the Kundalini Yoga chakra (cakra) system, the coiled serpent is considered the Goddess of Nature, and is only wrapped around the male lingam when at the very base [of nature], *in much the same way as the wires are wrapped around the magnetic poles of a passive guitar pickup, and from there continues her journey through our chakra circuitry.

Beside all this, there would be no qián if kūn had not been a space for it all to exist.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meng For This Useful Post:

answeredquestions (March 25th, 2012), charly (March 21st, 2012)

My female toaster

15. The Following User Says Thank You to heylise For This Useful Post:

charly (March 23rd, 2012)

Thumbs up

... The male end or jack is the receptive element, not the creative. I find that to be a funny and graphic illustration, which is philosophically backwards from the archetypal, or perhaps just stereotypical idea of where power comes from and where it goes to, and so forth...
    Hi, Bruce:

Of course, all electric power suppliers are female. Maybe it happens with energy in general. Who said that men were no receptive had not a MOUTH? It happens not only with mammals, there are bugs, birds and even fishes that are female dependent.

That´s why the Changes said: THE GIRL IS POWERFUL, don´t try to surpass with her or will end surpassed.

Yours,

Charly

Even my toaster is female. haha!
    I decided a long time ago that my car was a dude. A very cool dude. He's a stick shift.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to answeredquestions For This Useful Post:

charly (March 26th, 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast