Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 40.1 and error

Default 40.1 and error

Do I understand 40.1 correctly - that an error has been made. Say, one is making an assumption that seems logical, so perhaps there's no blame in making that assumption, but still, its an error? And it can be corrected easily, or should be corrected, otherwise it will interfere with developments? At least this is what I get from Brad's translation, but I'm not very sure. Other translations say no mistake, or not a mistake, which tends to imply the opposite of error.
    Thanks for any insights.
    Last edited by mythili; May 5th, 2012 at 01:43 AM.

I understand 40.1 differently. Lines 2 and 6 are about shooting. On this basis and line position, I understand line 1 as 'Hold fire'. If assumption is thought of as shooting, then 40.1 would suggest not making the assumption until you have a clear shot. Wait for more evidence.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pocossin For This Useful Post:

mythili (May 5th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by mythili View Post
    Do I understand 40.1 correctly - that an error has been made. Say, one is making an assumption that seems logical, so perhaps there's no blame in making that assumption, but still, its an error? And it can be corrected easily, or should be corrected, otherwise it will interfere with developments? At least this is what I get from Brad's translation, but I'm not very sure. Other translations say no mistake, or not a mistake, which tends to imply the opposite of error.
    Thanks for any insights.
    I take it simply that there is infact no error. You can think there is an error or go looking for one...but there isn't actually one. That interpretation has always held for me anyway. Its not a directive piece of advice IMO...it doesn't tell you to do or not do anything does it ?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trojina For This Useful Post:

gregjrob (November 15th, 2013), mythili (May 5th, 2012)

The thunder has passed. One may resume fishing.

Let me add: it would be a grave error to fish during a thunderstorm, especially given today's high modulus graphite fishing rods, which make an idle lightening rod. One would have only oneself to blame. Note what was left of the rod, as well as father and son almost lost their lives.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/19730665/detail.html
    Last edited by meng; May 5th, 2012 at 10:10 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to meng For This Useful Post:

mythili (May 5th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by pocossin View Post
    I understand 40.1 differently. Lines 2 and 6 are about shooting. On this basis and line position, I understand line 1 as 'Hold fire'. If assumption is thought of as shooting, then 40.1 would suggest not making the assumption until you have a clear shot. Wait for more evidence.
    I think this makes sense to me about this line. Because its turned up whichever assumption I make, and they could be polar opposite ones.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by trojan View Post
    Its not a directive piece of advice IMO...it doesn't tell you to do or not do anything does it ?
    Yes, I think its saying to wait.

I don't think its saying to wait at all. Theres a heck of alot of ways for the I Ching to say 'wait' including hexagram 5....and actually hex 40 is the very antithesis of waiting

It says ...

"If there is no longer anything where one has to go,
    Return brings good fortune.
    If there is still something where one has to go,
    Hastening brings good fortune."

Wilhelm

(the use of the word 'anything' is quite odd there isn't it ?)

But anyway paraphrased this is saying "if you have something to do do it, if it doesn't need doing let it go. Release, do it or let it go"

Personally I'd say its about as far from advice to wait as its possible to get. I tend most often to find 40 to be about letting go of something that never quite felt right in the first place...or just getting on with what does need to happen. Often it isn't advise as such more descriptive

Since its line 1 it seems not a very big step towards that release...or often not a very big matter ?

Of course if waiting makes sense to you in the context of your question I understand that it could well apply...butin general 40 is not at all about waiting for more evidence
    Last edited by Trojina; May 6th, 2012 at 02:19 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trojina For This Useful Post:

charly (May 6th, 2012)

I think a lot of line 1 's have a sense of just at the beginning, slowly into it, but I think 40 is like a watershed and the release is immediate.

Even just really taking in the words 'no fault' or 'no error' brings a release , a deliverance from worry or guilt...paranoia or anger and so on.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to chingching For This Useful Post:

charly (May 6th, 2012)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chingching View Post
    I think a lot of line 1 's have a sense of just at the beginning, slowly into it, but I think 40 is like a watershed and the release is immediate.

Even just really taking in the words 'no fault' or 'no error' brings a release , a deliverance from worry or guilt...paranoia or anger and so on.
    Hi, Chingching:

Te advice of the 1st. line is often BE CAUTIOUS. 40.1 doesn´t say if there was a mistake or not, it only says that you cannot be blamed for the position where you are. Only two words that can be translated diversely:

NO ERROR
    NOT A MISTAKE
    NO WRONG
    NO BLAME

Maybe the advice is AVOID ERRORS, BUT IF YOU COMMIT SOME, IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT, CANNOT BE BLAMED. A warning, but don´t worry.

40.1 is exceptionally short but, as you said, has a sense of RELEASE, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by charly View Post
    • Maybe line 1 is only setting matters : «no blame», nothing wrong nor right, nothing about moral principles, only matter of facts.
    • Line 2 could be the main promess: if your are shrewd you can get the jackpot.
    • Line 3 could be a warning: don't be excessive or you'l be lost and you will not arrive to the 6th. line, the summit.
    Yours,

Charly

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charly For This Useful Post:

gregjrob (November 15th, 2013), mythili (May 7th, 2012)

the advice of the 1st. line is often BE CAUTIOUS
    But where, the only translation I have have access to which does sort of advise cautiousness is carol Anthony's companion book to Wilhelmina interpretation, and in reading Wilhelmina I don't get this at all. I get that this is the first moment of release, just be still and let it unwind.

All I have to look at is Hilary's, lise's, bradford's, wilhelm's and those included in Brian's app which is f keagans c anthony a direct translation and his I think. No mento of being cautious.

Bradford talk of an error, wilhelm's a hindrance, Hilary hints at a background event maybe from another person but basically says what I said above, that
    The simplest most fundamental beginning to release: this is not wrong
    Just no mention of caution or waiting and in my experience too. With 40 I always think about how when it rains I get throbbing pain in my joints and when it stops raining the pain subsides and a wave of relaxation comes over me and at the first moment of this I always lie down and enjoy it, let the unwinding work through my muscles and joints and let it release un monitored by my brain, or thoughts.

I think bradford's interpretation is great if the question is about something someone else has done , and likewise Hilary's and I find wilhelm's useful too, c Anthony's is more specific to if you yourself have done something wrong no it and feel and know you need to rectify it, I find she is very self critical and her interpretation is best consulted if you are in that frame of mind, I don't find her an all rounder.

I think LiSe's is such a joyful view and it's also points to how when receiving to line perhaps someone is being cautious when cautiousness is unnecessary.

...I tired to paste the text from her website here but it won't let me

17. The Following User Says Thank You to chingching For This Useful Post:

charly (May 7th, 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast