Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about US Presidential Election

Default Question about US Presidential Election

So I asked the Yi "who will win the US Presidential election" and the reply was 36.2.4.5>49.

Have to admit I am not sure about how to interpret the lines of 36, which seem to refer to injury (36.2 and 36.4) and concealment of true nature for the sake of safety in precarious times (36.5) but 49 (Change, Revolution) suggests a change of incumbent?

For the record, I support President Obama, and I hoped (and continue to hope) for his re-election but found the cast intriguing and thought I would share it to see if anyone else can shed light.

This is the incorrect way of asking for the results. You run one reading for Obama, and another reading for the other candidate. Note the time of castings. Then use the 6 line method to decode who may have a better chance of winning. Casting should be done on the voting day before the polls close.

Thank you long yi! As I don't know the 6 line method will you help me to decode castings if I do some for President Obama and Mr Romney on polling day?

I am still scratching my head about the reading I received and wonder if it means a withdrawal by a candidate or a damaging political scandal perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by troubadour View Post
    So I asked the Yi "who will win the US Presidential election" and the reply was 36.2.4.5>49.
    Troubadour, there is an error in your description of the casting. 36.2.4.5 changes to 43.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pocossin For This Useful Post:

troubadour (October 28th, 2012)

Instead of asking who would win I asked for advise on how to vote. And I did three casts instead of two. There are more than two people on the ballot for president. (actually, more than three in many places. I felt I could only deal with three readings and didn't bother to cast about a couple of the unlikelies.)

I decided to vote with what I considered to be integrity and without fear.

For some reason 36.2.4.5 > 43 looks hopeful to me..... rescuing with the strength of a horse, catching the heart of darkness, harvest in constancy.... And to me Obama seems like more of a Prince Ji than Romney. Or maybe a miracle will happen and a Third Party person will come to the rescue.

But then, I am always trying to put a positive spin on castings which isn't always wise when a warning is clear. I hope Long Yi will decode polling day casts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to callingcrane For This Useful Post:

I would not recommend doing readings like this. The I Ching is for personal growth and should relate to us personally. I can see no value in these kinds of readings.

Gene

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gene For This Useful Post:

callingcrane (October 27th, 2012), troubadour (October 28th, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    I would not recommend doing readings like this. The I Ching is for personal growth and should relate to us personally. I can see no value in these kinds of readings.
    Gene, I disagree with you, although Troubadour failure to correctly specify the casting is inauspicious. Troubadour's query relates to Troubadour's inmost values -- what guides Troubadour in a perception of the world -- and if the query leads to more self awareness then Troubadour will know more about him/her self, the self cultivation that divination can provide.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pocossin For This Useful Post:

callingcrane (October 27th, 2012), troubadour (October 28th, 2012)

To have a "rescue" to me would imply that someone new was coming in to rescue from a bad situation. This to me would imply a Romney win.

For some reason 36.2.4.5 > 43 looks hopeful to me..... rescuing with the strength of a horse, catching the heart of darkness, harvest in constancy.... And to me Obama seems like more of a Prince Ji than Romney. Or maybe a miracle will happen and a Third Party person will come to the rescue.

Also, Ann Romney owns a horse and she claims it helped her with her MS. I just would not be so quick to project your own wishes about a candidates win onto the reading.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to manitoba33 For This Useful Post:

Thank you Pocossin for that correction - which obviously means I would not make a good election forecaster! Hexagram 43 - that also can mean making a decision about an election - casting a vote - can't it? The Yi always answers.

Calling Crane and Manitoba thanks for your comments - yes, in part because of my own preference for Obama I was surprised when my error led me to conclude that the Yi suggested a change (Hexagram 49) so I will try to keep my preferences out of things. I continue to ponder what 36 - Wounded Brightness - has to say about this election. Perhaps it refers to the general sense of economic malaise and insecurity in the United States and other countries of the western world.

Gene I am interested in your view but don't agree - surely the Yi deals with Ten Thousand Things under the sun - and indeed it refers directly and explicitly to great public figures and political developments repeatedly (as for example in the case of Prince Ji to which Calling Crane refers) and in Wilhelm's commentary many of the Hexagrams are interpreted in the context of society and the political world. But each to his own.

Hexagram 36 is associated with darkness. No one asked, "Who is the dark man?" Is it Obama by complexion, or Romney as the dark horse? To resolve this casting, I would look for the candidate in the casting.

Personally, I have been somewhat financially hurt by Obama's policies and believe that his fantastic increase of the national debt is far worse for the country than anything done by terrorists. On the other hand, in my opinion Romney is a wild card. I've no idea what he would do if elected. Politicians say one thing while campaigning, and do another when elected.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pocossin For This Useful Post:

cjgait (October 29th, 2012), yamabushi (October 28th, 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast