...life can be translucent

Menu

Question about US Presidential Election

troubadour

visitor
Reaction score
So I asked the Yi "who will win the US Presidential election" and the reply was 36.2.4.5>49.

Have to admit I am not sure about how to interpret the lines of 36, which seem to refer to injury (36.2 and 36.4) and concealment of true nature for the sake of safety in precarious times (36.5) but 49 (Change, Revolution) suggests a change of incumbent?

For the record, I support President Obama, and I hoped (and continue to hope) for his re-election but found the cast intriguing and thought I would share it to see if anyone else can shed light. :bows:

long yi

visitor
Reaction score
This is the incorrect way of asking for the results. You run one reading for Obama, and another reading for the other candidate. Note the time of castings. Then use the 6 line method to decode who may have a better chance of winning. Casting should be done on the voting day before the polls close.

troubadour

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you long yi! As I don't know the 6 line method will you help me to decode castings if I do some for President Obama and Mr Romney on polling day?

I am still scratching my head about the reading I received and wonder if it means a withdrawal by a candidate or a damaging political scandal perhaps?

canislulu

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Instead of asking who would win I asked for advise on how to vote. And I did three casts instead of two. There are more than two people on the ballot for president. (actually, more than three in many places. I felt I could only deal with three readings and didn't bother to cast about a couple of the unlikelies.)

I decided to vote with what I considered to be integrity and without fear.

For some reason 36.2.4.5 > 43 looks hopeful to me..... rescuing with the strength of a horse, catching the heart of darkness, harvest in constancy.... And to me Obama seems like more of a Prince Ji than Romney. Or maybe a miracle will happen and a Third Party person will come to the rescue.

But then, I am always trying to put a positive spin on castings which isn't always wise when a warning is clear. I hope Long Yi will decode polling day casts.

gene

visitor
Reaction score
I would not recommend doing readings like this. The I Ching is for personal growth and should relate to us personally. I can see no value in these kinds of readings.

Gene

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
I would not recommend doing readings like this. The I Ching is for personal growth and should relate to us personally. I can see no value in these kinds of readings.

Gene, I disagree with you, although Troubadour failure to correctly specify the casting is inauspicious. Troubadour's query relates to Troubadour's inmost values -- what guides Troubadour in a perception of the world -- and if the query leads to more self awareness then Troubadour will know more about him/her self, the self cultivation that divination can provide.

manitoba33

visitor
Reaction score
To have a "rescue" to me would imply that someone new was coming in to rescue from a bad situation. This to me would imply a Romney win.

For some reason 36.2.4.5 > 43 looks hopeful to me..... rescuing with the strength of a horse, catching the heart of darkness, harvest in constancy.... And to me Obama seems like more of a Prince Ji than Romney. Or maybe a miracle will happen and a Third Party person will come to the rescue.

Also, Ann Romney owns a horse and she claims it helped her with her MS. I just would not be so quick to project your own wishes about a candidates win onto the reading.

troubadour

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you Pocossin for that correction - which obviously means I would not make a good election forecaster! Hexagram 43 - that also can mean making a decision about an election - casting a vote - can't it? The Yi always answers.

Calling Crane and Manitoba thanks for your comments - yes, in part because of my own preference for Obama I was surprised when my error led me to conclude that the Yi suggested a change (Hexagram 49) so I will try to keep my preferences out of things. I continue to ponder what 36 - Wounded Brightness - has to say about this election. Perhaps it refers to the general sense of economic malaise and insecurity in the United States and other countries of the western world.

Gene I am interested in your view but don't agree - surely the Yi deals with Ten Thousand Things under the sun - and indeed it refers directly and explicitly to great public figures and political developments repeatedly (as for example in the case of Prince Ji to which Calling Crane refers) and in Wilhelm's commentary many of the Hexagrams are interpreted in the context of society and the political world. But each to his own.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Hexagram 36 is associated with darkness. No one asked, "Who is the dark man?" Is it Obama by complexion, or Romney as the dark horse? To resolve this casting, I would look for the candidate in the casting.

Personally, I have been somewhat financially hurt by Obama's policies and believe that his fantastic increase of the national debt is far worse for the country than anything done by terrorists. On the other hand, in my opinion Romney is a wild card. I've no idea what he would do if elected. Politicians say one thing while campaigning, and do another when elected.

bluprplsage

visitor
Reaction score
Here's how i read your divination.

Hex 36 brilliance injured Earth over Fire. First of all it gives me a image of earth being thrown on a fire raging out of control. Earth being the child of fire also exhausts fire. I look at Confucius's sequence of the Gua: "proceeding forward without restraint, surely someone will be hurt. thus, after proceeding forward, brilliance injured follows." This makes me think of the republicans. They have proceeded forward without restraint throughout history. To me Romney represents the fire, and Obama represents the earth.

I am putting priority on the 5th line, I'm looking at it as if it is the conclusion of the future situation. On the 5th like of the Duke of Zhou's text it says "Ji Zi's brilliance injured. Favorable to be steadfast and upright." Ji Zi was the uncle of the tyrant of Shang, he scolded the tyrant for his misbehavior. The tyrant decided to punish him. His friends told him he should run away, but he knew if he did this it would reveal to the people that his nephew was evil. Ji Zi knew his nephew was evil, but he also knew as a loyal servant to the king, it would be wrong for him to betray him. So instead he pretended to be crazy and was taken as a slave. In this way Ji Zi hid his brilliance to avert an impossible situation.

To me this line is revealing that even though Romney knows what Obama is doing is wrong, he will be defeated by him, and he will have to allow his brilliance to be injured and accept it. The Line changes to Hex 63 already fulfilled. To me this represents Obama winning because water over fire is the elements of the Hexagram 63, and water destroys fire, which represented Romney in the previous hexagram. Confucius's sequence of the Gua states: "those who exceed others surely are able to fulfill their duty. thus, after Little Exceeding, Already Fulfilled follows." To me this symbolizes Obama exceeding Romney, even though Romney is rich and has persuasion in the powerful corporate circles, Obama has the people's support/favor and will go from Little Exceeding to Already Fulfilled, or from being lesser then Romney(as far as wealth goes) to fulfilling his duty, which is, president.

thanks for letting me read :)

Last edited:

manitoba33

visitor
Reaction score
If water destroys fire then Romney wins as Romney (Pisces) is water and Obama (Leo) is Fire.

Seems clear to me. Water above fire, already across.

bluprplsage

visitor
Reaction score
Water is represented by the color black. Fire is represented by the color bright red. Earth also controls water. The future outcome indicates black>red. When comparing the obvious differences between the two candidates it kind of sticks out whose black and whose red.

I don't really understand western astrology but in chinese astrology the zodiacal character is represented by a stem(5 elements) and branch(12 animals) which are either yin and yang and it differs quite a bit as Chinese split into 60 different possible combinations of stems and branches rather then 12 zodiacal signs. From my understanding there is a vague similarity astronomically between the two but other then that, as far as astrology and divination goes, the similarities are two vague to integrate, mainly because the Chinese system is far more complex.

bluprplsage

visitor
Reaction score
another thing blue in the west represents water, the democrats are also blue, while the republicans are red, perhaps water over fire indicates democrats>republicans?!?!?!

troubadour

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you poccossin and bluprplsage for your insights, as a non-American I am grateful to you for adding some depth to my understanding. From abroad it seems to a lot of us that President Obama has not been able to live upto many of his promises but many also feel he had a great deal of problems to deal with that were inherited from the previous administration.

I am wondering whether Hexagram 36 may have some relevance to the damage inflicted by the great storm, and the way in which President Obama has been trying to respond? It seems from afar that this has boosted his standing?

I continue to scratch my head though!

weiwuwei

visitor
Reaction score
If this helps at all, I was involved in Ron Paul's 2012 campaign, and noticed that many of the people in our group were strange, some held bizarre, paranoid, or racist beliefs, and were cult-like in their support of Ron Paul, and was wondering if I should continue to work with them.

I got a reading, (new to this forum, so don't know your decimal notation) #50 with all moving lines except the fifth up from the bottom, changing into #24.

I remember finding the Huang translation helpful in this case, as Huang's #50 ("Establishing the New") seemed to describe a primary election very well (preparing, battling between candidates, ideology vs. pragmatism, a winner, etc.) and #24 ("Turning Back") seems to describe a "closing up for winter".

Without getting too deep into politics, as I tend to do so, I'd say the 2012 Republican Primary is the most bizarre primary in the history of this country.

There has been a lot of really nasty stuff going on in recent years that has not been reported on TV or radio (even Fox News is watered down in their anti-Obama statements). There have been a lot of technical difficulties" and other oddities when people were discussing certain off-limits topics (the NDAA, the "Obama kill list", domain name seizures, raw milk raids, etc.) Only reading blogs and watching live events via YouTube/Ustream instead of regular TV will get you the full story.

As for this primary, it was a total disaster, almost like it was set up to lose to Obama. There has been fraud, intimidation to sign contracts to vote for Romney, secret meetings where delegates come out with a changed mind, police brutality, detoured buses away from the convention, and all kinds of scary stuff. In fact, Republicans have basically lost the right to vote for delegates, as the RNC now has the power to replace them, based on a "vote" which was read off a teleprompter!

Back to the I Ching - the Ron Paul campaign was deliberately disorganized by the campaign manager named Jesse Benton who got himself a promotion after Ron Paul lost. Using Huang's translation, "The prince's spilled soup" made me think of this disorganization from resulting in a loss for Ron Paul, after all the efforts described in the changing lines below it. Reading Huang's commentary regarding the top line made me think of Mitt Romney.

#24 - Time to close up for the winter. Till 2016? (Ron Paul said he'd be back during a Jay Leno interview a few months ago.)

(Again, I'm new here, how does the Hexagram.Line.Line.Line to Other Hexagram thing work, is it bottom to top?)

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I got a reading, (new to this forum, so don't know your decimal notation) #50 with all moving lines except the fifth up from the bottom, changing into #24.

It would be customary here to write that down as 50.1.2.3.4.6>24

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).