...life can be translucent

Menu

UK/US Translation Thread

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
This topic arose in the 32 uc thread here http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/frie...ging-Castings-Hexagram-32&p=184121#post184121 and I thought I'd make another thread for it as it may come in useful at different times. In that thread we were discussing knickers and pants.

Lisa said
Oh dear! What are outerwear pants called in the UK? In the US outer pants are called "pants" or "slacks" (if they're jeans, or overalls, etc., we use those specific words, but pants or slacks are the general terms).

Trousers. 'Outerwear pants' are called trousers, unless they are jeans or leggings etc but overall the word we use is trousers. The word 'slacks' hasn't been generally used here for over 30 years or so...was a word used for casual trousers back in the 60s or so but was uncool as used by older generation for nylon casual trousers etc ie unfashionable

"Underwear" is the catch-all term for undergarments. "Underpants" (I'm pretty sure) can refer to mens' or ladies' bottom undergarments, but "panties" is only used for ladies'. Men's top undergarments are usually called "undershirts" or "t-shirts," although "t-shirt" also refers to the outergarments worn by both men and women.

Ladies underpants here are usually called 'knickers' or 'briefs' or 'pants'...rarely 'panties' unless in lewd literature. They might also be called shorts, if they are shorts type knickers but overall 'knickers' is the word to use for everything...G-string or big pants, they are all 'knickers'. Mens top undergarments if not t -shirts are called 'vests'. Women can also wear vests, ie warm soft top underwear that is not a t shirt. It may have sleeves or it may not. My mother claims many illnesses may be prevented by the wearing of a long vest in winter.

There are two kinds of men's bottom undergarments: boxers and briefs - is it the same in the UK? "Shorts" can be used to refer to the boxer style (outerwear short pants, both mens' and womens', are also called shorts). Occasionally the brief style are called "tighty whities" (not a term I've ever used,

Generally here we'd call men's bottom undergarments their 'pants' or their 'underpants'....or sometimes 'boxers' or 'shorts'. The word 'briefs' is somewhat effeminate but I notice the word is used on the packaging (not that I spend a lot of time perusing men's underwear packaging you understand).

'Tightly whities' ?:rofl: There was a kind of men's underpants called 'Y fronts' as they were tight with a Y shape in front.....oh we best not get into detail :blush:

It's good we have this thread now to clear up language confusions. Then if you ever visit Britain and need to buy trousers you will be spared the embarrassment of asking for 'pants' and being sent to the knicker section. Likewise if I visit America and wanted knickers at least I would not ask for pants.

All useful information. For example if I were in America and a man said "I like your pants" I might have thought he was referring to my knickers and being rather cheeky.

Whilst I'm at it we already covered the American use of the term 'purse' which always puzzled me since in the UK a purse is just the thing to put money in, not a handbag. In US seems a purse is another word for handbag.

I think this thread may be useful in future so feel free to add any further translations.

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Ooops missed a bit

Lisa also said

Am not sure about the term "knickers." It doesn't sound completely unfamiliar as an undergarment term, but I'm not sure why; I've never known anyone who calls their underpants knickers. Knickers, to me, means the style of short outer pants fastened just below the knee that were common in some olden decade but nowadays are worn only by the occasional golfer.

No Lisa every woman in Britain wear things called 'knickers'...what you call 'panties'. I think the kind of knickers you refer to are more like knickerbockers. I think in old English 'knickers' was used to mean trousers like you describe....but not now.

Last edited:

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
white goods = major appliances
brown goods = small appliances

B

blue_angel

:rofl: I love this! Thank you Trojan :) you know what this means to me personally? I think UK has more class, I hope to visit eventually. These small details are all the difference with our society and children. I am now interested to find what other terms are different besides the various undergarments
:blush: I'm not sure if it counts for much, however in the 80s knickers in the US were outer style pants that came right below the knee and they are now calling these capri pants. The only real difference is the knickers often had an elastic band causing them to
bunch up right under the knee, I have also
seen them with a button on the side. They came in many colors, sometimes jean or cotton material.

The long sleave vest you refer to, I believe would be what we call long johns, which I've always found to be funny because we also have a cream filled pastry with chocolate icing on
top called long john. Vest said here would be
an outer like jacket without sleeves, worn
mostly for style.

The women have an under like shirt that is silky called a camisole. What of the bra? Do you call that bra? And socks? Slip? Or pantyhose? Pajamas or night gowns? I prefer using just the term undergarments but US, especially now days is very very open.

Fun fun fun

Last edited:

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread!

Trousers isn't the most common term here, but if you used it, you'd get to the right spot. It's probably more common here for men's* pants than for women's.

I think there was a discussion in the "Kitchen" (which I attended for approx. five seconds), about garden vs. lawn vs. yard. If I recall, "garden" is the ubiqitous term in the UK, whereas in the US it's used only for specific types, e.g. flower garden, vegetable garden. The usual grassy areas here are called yards or lawns, with "lawn" being the term for more high-class, expansive, or better-landscaped areas. Most household yards here are called yards, though you might sometimes refer to the front lawn (since it's in the front where people see it, it's sometimes prettier and/or larger).

You're right about purse/handbag - here they're synonymous. We call the small coin receptacles "coin purses" to distinguish.

[Edited] Oh, and the general term here for the thing you put money in is "wallet." Do you use that word? (Women here put their wallets inside their purses/handbags; men put their wallets in their back pockets.)

Have never heard "brown goods"! Am learning something about the US, even :D. (I'll bet we're now into the non-point of this thread - regional differences. I've only lived in the midwest and northeast.)

Bloke (UK) vs. Man or (informal) guy (US).
Jumper (UK) vs. Sweater (US) - a jumper here is a type of dress:

View attachment 1060

*Have been doing it wrong! They're plural nouns, so MEN'S, not MENS'. Thank you, Ask the English Teacher. :bag:

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
:blush: I'm not sure if it counts for much, however in the 80s knickers in the US were outer style pants that came right below the knee and they are now calling these capri pants. The only real difference is the knickers often had an elastic band causing them to
bunch up right under the knee, I have also
seen them with a button on the side. They came in many colors, sometimes jean or cotton material.

we would probably have called them 'knickerbockers' since 'knickers' are our underwear

The long sleave vest you refer to, I believe would be what we call long johns, which I've always found to be funny because we also have a cream filled pastry with chocolate icing on
top called long john. Vest said here would be
an outer like jacket without sleeves, worn
mostly for style.

Aha long johns are long legged under garments, like a vest for the legs but worn under trousers. Or maybe an all in one under garment. I don't think many would wear these unless elderly or riding a motorbike or something. Also 'vest top' is like a t shirt with no sleeves...An outer jacket without sleeves is a 'gilet'...or if thin a waistcoat.

The women have an under like shirt that is silky called a camisole. What of the bra? Do you call that bra? And socks? Slip? Or pantyhose? Pajamas or night gowns? I prefer using just the term undergarments but US, especially now days is very very open.

Fun fun fun

Yes we share the word camisole, same thing...French word isn't it ?
Bra is also bra here
Socks are also socks here

What you call 'pantyhose' we call 'tights'.

Pyjamas are same
'night gowns' here called 'nighties'.

:D

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score

Oh wait. Am a dunce. You're saying white/brown goods are the UK terms.

I think I was confusing this with "white sale" in the US, which isn't even the same thing. A white sale here means a sale on sheets, towels, etc. Which - does that imply that in the US "white goods" are sheets and towels, and in the UK white goods are large appliances? (My brain :rolleyes:)

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
in UK white goods also = major appliances
brown goods ? never heard of them

The term white goods or whiteware is also used for (major appliances), primarily where British English is spoken.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_appliance

I received a request for a reading from a person who is a member of Clarity and who lives (my guess) in Australia. His query involved white and brown goods. I had to look these terms up.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I think there was a discussion in the "Kitchen" (which I attended for approx. five seconds), about garden vs. lawn vs. yard. If I recall, "garden" is the ubiqitous term in the UK, whereas in the US it's used only for specific types, e.g. flower garden, vegetable garden. The usual grassy areas here are called yards or lawns, with "lawn" being the term for more high-class, expansive, or better-landscaped areas. Most household yards here are called yards, though you might sometimes refer to the front lawn (since it's in the front where people see it, it's sometimes prettier and/or larger).

I remember that. A yard here is just a dull concrete space, maybe some tubs....but not a green grassy garden.

You're right about purse/handbag - here they're synonymous. We call the small coin receptacles "coin purses" to distinguish.

Aha !

[Edited] Oh, and the general term here for the thing you put money in is "wallet." Do you use that word? (Women here put their wallets inside their purses/handbags; men put their wallets in their back pockets.)

Yes use wallets for paper money, credit cards etc and women's wallets often have a coin compartment. Men's wallets don't usually have a coin compartment. Why I don't know. Oh I suppose men are meant to put coins in their pockets.

Have never heard "brown goods"! Am learning something about the US, even :D. (I'll bet we're now into the non-point of this thread - regional differences. I've only lived in the midwest and northeast.)

no I never heard of brown goods.

Bloke (UK) vs. Man or (informal) guy (US).

yes but we use 'guy' a lot too and lots of other words according to region

Jumper (UK) vs. Sweater (US) - a jumper here is a type of dress:

View attachment 1060

yes usually a jumper/pullover = sweater but I have got confused by the term 'jumper skirt' which is a term I keep hearing so must mean that kind of dress.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
mushy peas, field peas = sweet or green peas (commercially), garden peas (locally)
aubergine = eggplant
marrow = squash

B

blue_angel

Purse/handbag can also be called pocketbook. Trousers I've always thought as a term for outer pants that is used more in the south or country. I still hear it now and then. What about sandals, do you have the open sandels that slip between your toes? In US they call them flip flops, I guess because when you walk they make sound, flip flop, flip flop. In Hawaii however, we call them slippers. Yet slippers in the US would be comfy house shoes or night shoes worn with pajamas. How about there? I am familiar with white goods. What about yard sales or swap meets or farmers market, do you have that there?

Last edited:

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
What you call 'pantyhose' we call 'tights'.

We use "tights" here, too, but for the thicker, opaque leg coverings with feet (leggings are much the same but without feet).
Pantyhose are the sheer leg coverings (of any color). If they are pantyhose material, but without the panty, they're "stockings".

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
You're saying white/brown goods are the UK terms.

Yes.

Brown goods:

Small appliances, Small domestic appliances, or brown goods (from the color of the wooden and bakelite cases once used) are portable or semi-portable machines, generally used on table-tops, counter-tops, or other platforms, to accomplish a household task. Examples of brown goods are: television and wireless sets; microwave ovens; coffee makers; and personal computers. In contrast, major appliances, or white goods (from their at one time common, white enameled metal exteriors), can not be easily moved and are generally placed on the floor. Major appliances include the dishwasher, refrigerator, stove, washing machine, and dryer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_goods

wireless set = radio

B

blue_angel

Trojan what you call a yard I believe is what we would call a patio or lanai or porch depending on region. Oh and we also use the term nightie, however that's a more sexy pajama worn usually with your spouse like lingerie. A night gown for us is like a comfy long flowing dress worn to sleep, that is not revealing like our nightie is, nightie can also be called a teddy. Who comes up with these words.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yes use wallets for paper money, credit cards etc and women's wallets often have a coin compartment. Men's wallets don't usually have a coin compartment. Why I don't know. Oh I suppose men are meant to put coins in their pockets.

Yay! We agree on wallet!

(Should clarify that "coin purses" here are standalone wee things. Coin compartments attached to wallets are just...as you said...coin compartments. And yes, men I know put their wallets in their back trouser pocket, and their coins in their front trouser pocket.)

Purse/handbag can also be called pocketbook.
Yes! Forgot that one :D.

Two more:

Car "boot" in the UK = "trunk" of car in US
" " in US, ' ' in UK (if punctuation counts, haha)

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
well I have never heard anyone in the UK use the term 'brown goods' I mean Bakelite was a pretty long time ago . 'white good's is things like refridgerator, washing machine etc etc

Examples of brown goods are: television and wireless sets; microwave ovens; coffee makers; and personal computers

This must be from the 1950s.....none of these things are brown and no one uses the term 'wireless' for radio anymore, not since I was a child.

Purse/handbag can also be called pocketbook. Trousers I've always thought as a term for outer pants that is used more in the south or country. I still hear it now and then. What about sandals, do you have the open sandels that slip between your toes? In US they call them flip flops, I guess because when you walk they make sound, flip flop, flip flop. In Hawaii however, we call them slippers. Yet slippers in the US would be comfy house shoes or night shoes worn with pajamas. How about there? I am familiar with white goods. What about yard sales or swap meets or farmers market, do you have that there?

'pocketbook' always puzzled me. I thought it was a book you put in your pocket :confused: weird word for a handbag.

Yes sandals, open summer shoes....flip flops those that you grip between your toes. Slippers are same as what you'd say in the US, things you wear in the house.

yard sales ? we have car boot sales where everyone sells from their car boots ('trunks' to you)...or sometimes 'garage sales' from someones home garage.

Not sure what 'swap meets' are ? Presumably meet ups where you swap things ?

Farmers markets have become fashionable with people who are into their food. I have never been to one. They are probably expensive with home made products and so on.

" " in US, ' ' in UK (if punctuation counts, haha)

:confused: we use quotation marks "" but if speech within speech ' ' sometimes. Don't think our punctuation differs. I find " a bit tiring and resort to ' quite often.

Ha 'fortnight' is a word that Hilary told me you didn't use in the US ? It means 2 weeks.

:D

I am a bit puzzled by the terms 'car lot' and 'parking lot'

is this what we would call a 'car park'...somewhere to leave your car while you go shopping and so on ?

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
terminal -st

whilst = while
amongst = among
amidst = amid

"The -st at the end of amongst is a holdover from a period of English in which s sounds were added to words (usually nouns) to make adverbs."
http://grammarist.com/usage/among-amongst/

In American English such archaic terms have the flavor of ancient ruins -- bare ruined choirs, where late the sweet birds sang.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
yard sales ? we have car boot sales where everyone sells from their car boots ('trunks' to you)...or sometimes 'garage sales' from someones home garage.
We have both yard sales and garage sales, probably depending on where you set up all the merchandise, in the garage or in the yard (so do you have "garden sales"?) Have never heard of a car trunk sale in the US.

:confused: we use quotation marks "" but if speech within speech ' ' sometimes. Don't think our punctuation differs. I find " a bit tiring and resort to ' quite often.
Oh! I got that from here, actually, because I noticed that Hilary always uses single quotes where I would use double quotes. I had never seen it before and assumed it was a UK thing. WHAT IS IT THEY SAY ABOUT ASSUMING THINGS :D

Ha 'fortnight' is a word that Hilary told me you didn't use in the US ? It means 2 weeks.
Yep. We have no special word for "two weeks." That's one where the etymology would be interesting - why a special word for TWO weeks, and not three weeks, or five weeks, or six weeks?

I am a bit puzzled by the terms 'car lot' and 'parking lot'

is this what we would call a 'car park'...somewhere to leave your car while you go shopping and so on ?
Yes, a parking lot here is a flat, open-air, usually paved area of parking spaces, the sole purpose of which, as you said, is for people to leave their cars when away from home. Parking garages are multi-story buildings for the same purpose. A "car lot" in the US would be a place where cars are displayed in an outdoor lot to be sold, as in "used car lot."

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
terminal -st

whilst = while
amongst = among
amidst = amid

"The -st at the end of amongst is a holdover from a period of English in which s sounds were added to words (usually nouns) to make adverbs."
http://grammarist.com/usage/among-amongst/

Does that website realize that NONE OF THE WORDS THEY LIST ARE NOUNS?? (They must, of course. But they let that sit there with no explanation, lol.)

In American English such archaic terms have the flavor of ancient ruins -- bare ruined choirs, where late the sweet birds sang.
As I look outside at snowy leafless trees where late the birds did indeed sing...awww

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
We have both yard sales and garage sales, probably depending on where you set up all the merchandise, in the garage or in the yard (so do you have "garden sales"?) Have never heard of a car trunk sale in the US.

we don't really have garden sales much...sometimes children may do it...or at festival times. A nice thing we have in my area are 'Arts Trails' that is in different areas of the city people open their homes to display their artwork over a weekend. So in one street for example 7 houses may be open for people to go in and look at the art the person living there has done, or their friends have done. Many professional artists use this too and there is also film and theatre in the houses or on the street.

Car Boot sales are big here. Everyone parks in a large field or car park...many cars together, erect tables at the back of the car and sell their junk. You have to pay to get your car in to do that.

Oh also we have 'jumble sales' also in some areas known as 'rummage sales'. They are usually in church halls or community centres . Tables are piled full of clothes, books, toys, all kinds of things that people have donated, things they no longer want. And then when the doors are opened at 2pm the queue that was waiting stampede in to get the bargains. I used to enjoy these very much. often dealers will buy at the jumble sale to sell on at a profit at a car boot sale which I have also done. You have to be fit and strong though to get to the tables.....it's mayhem . Do you have that, jumble sales to raise money for church funds or charities etc ?

Oh
! I got that from here, actually, because I noticed that Hilary always uses single quotes where I would use double quotes. I had never seen it before and assumed it was a UK thing. WHAT IS IT THEY SAY ABOUT ASSUMING THINGS :D

I'm not sure ...I think I use single quotes for quotes within quotes ...shorter quotes within quotes. I make it up as I go along.

Yep. We have no special word for "two weeks." That's one where the etymology would be interesting - why a special word for TWO weeks, and not three weeks, or five weeks, or six weeks?

I don't know but it's a word we use often. 'Fortnight' must be short for fourteen nights

Yes, a parking lot here is a flat, open-air, usually paved area of parking spaces, the sole purpose of which, as you said, is for people to leave their cars when away from home. Parking garages are multi-story buildings for the same purpose. A "car lot" in the US would be a place where cars are displayed in an outdoor lot to be sold, as in "used car lot."

Ah I see. What you call 'parking garages' we would call "multi storey car parks" or maybe 'indoor car parks' but not 'parking garages'.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Oh also we have 'jumble sales' also in some areas known as 'rummage sales'. They are usually in church halls or community centres .

Do you have that, jumble sales to raise money for church funds or charities etc ?
We do, and "rummage sale" would be the common term here. Haven't been to one in a looooong time, and when I was I don't remember a stampede, but then again it was a small country church :D

The Art Trails sound very nice! It does surprise me a bit that there would be enough artists in an area to make that practical, but if we had such things we might find more artists than we knew existed. People might be making lots of things that no one ever sees.

Oh, and I'm definitely familiar with the word "fortnight," but you were correct that we never use it here.

[Edit] Just looked in Google and it reminded me that in the US we'd say "biweekly" for a two-week period. Although personally I never hear "biweekly" used in any context other than "biweekly pay period." I have the impression that fortnight is a more commonly-used word in the UK than biweekly is here - do you think that's true?

Another one - don't you use the word "form" to refer to successive years of school? We say "grade," as in "Sally is in third grade."

Oh - speaking of school - years ago I used to chat on a forum with someone from Wales and we had this confusion - in the US the word "college" refers to post-secondary education, where in the UK college is what we call high school: education from approx. ages 14-18. Is that right? I think she said in the UK all post-secondary education is referred to as "university." Here in the US we have both "colleges" and "universities," and they are both post-secondary, but the difference between them is that universities offer graduate degrees (masters, PhDs) and colleges offer just baccalaureate degrees.

Last edited:

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
it's not clear which you are saying is UK

I'm guessing you think 'torch' is UK since that's the word we use.

Yes, in every example I have given:

British English = American English

The examples I have given are instances that have confused me. "torch = flashlight" I encountered forty years ago in Death of a Train by Freeman Wills Crofts, but in the Esperanto version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_a_Train

In American English, torches are commonly used for chasing monsters and cutting metal, not for looking for lost dogs in the dark.

Last edited:

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Does that website realize that NONE OF THE WORDS THEY LIST ARE NOUNS?? (They must, of course. But they let that sit there with no explanation, lol.)

I wondered about that, but as I have no knowledge of word formation in Old English and Anglo-Saxon, I quoted as is.

As I look outside at snowy leafless trees where late the birds did indeed sing...awww

Yes, a tree, but also the ruins of religious buildings. "Bare ruined choirs" is a complex allusion and also refers to monasteries and abbeys destroyed by Henry VIII, where singing praises to God was a main part of their business, which ruins are a great attraction for American tourists and have contributed much to the British economy. The interpretation is Empson's in his Seven Types of Ambiguity, I think. Don't have my copy at hand.

B

blue_angel

In Hawaii, farmers market is basically where all the farmers meet, they bring what they have grown, fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs, fish, sometimes meats, seafood, and occasional home baked goods. Home made jams, its considered more healthy and organic. Extremely cheap, much cheaper than the grocery stores. They also sell fresh grown flowers or plants. Really the only way to survive in Hawaii unless you are well off, rich.

We too have the art sales, where open houses show their art as well as art museums, and at times tables lined on the streets with art for sale.

Swap meets, you would think people would swap but here its actually the same as things
you would buy in the store, except much
cheaper, and there will usually be souvenirs,
and different things from all over the world,
with a focus on Hawaiian souvenirs. They are
basically set up on tables outside in the
stadium parking lot. (Yes where we park our
cars). Oh we also have arts and crafts fairs,
also set up on long tables inside of some
rented building.

Yard sales and garage sales are popular here, the rich sell their stuff so cheap its practically free and a lot of times unused or new.

We do have church sales and school sales, where people bring their items they no longer want and the donations go to charity, we call these fund raisers. We also have brown bag specials where you can buy the items people sell at church, grab a brown bag, fill it up with all you want, and its only $5.00.

B

blue_angel

For us parking lot, is often a smaller lot, flat ground where you would park the car outside of a store, doctor, movie theatre. However we do have multi-story parking garages in the city. Then home garages.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
"Bare ruined choirs" is a complex allusion and also refers to monasteries and abbeys destroyed by Henry VIII,

Trojan, what do Britons think of the fact that Henry VIII is pretty much the most famous monarch? :rolleyes:

(I mean, we also know Queen Victoria, and the Queen Elizabeths I and of course II (bless), and I guess George III because of EVENTS, but still...Henry VIII made a name for himself...)

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Trojan, what do Britons think of the fact that Henry VIII is pretty much the most famous monarch? :rolleyes:

I don't know I never really thought about it...I don't think Britons think about it much, unless they are history students I suppose. But I cannot speak for all UK residents. He always seemed a very colourful character with all those wives and so on so I suppose better films can be made about him.

I suppose that's not a very educated answer...sorry :rofl:

mainly I recall colouring in pictures of his lavish costumes at school. That's about as far as my knowledge went.

oh well there's what he did to monasteries and so on, and how he invented divorce.... but other than that well he did get through 6 wives

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).