...life can be translucent

Menu

Clarity pets corner

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
We have needed such a corner for many a year IMO.

Clarity is a forum inhabited by animals not just humans. How ? Well I don't know it just is. I've always maintained that now and then they post under owners names

Animals I have met through Clarity

A white cat, very possessive, hates Tom jogging, likes to sooth Tom when he can't sleep.
Has strong opinions about all Tom's activities and sleeps in his bed,

Mojo...Bruce's dog now passed.

Dog on ranch with bent ear...Bruce helped with bite, can't recall name of dog

Dog of Topal, a rescue dog who is afraid when Topal puts boots on

Cat of Topal ....an unknown quantity as yet. Rather sarcastic I think ?

I think it was Precision Grace's cat who accidentally (or deliberately, who knows) used the online casting tool and produced a reading.

There must be more.

Yes this is the thread to introduce and celebrate the animal presences that have hitherto been muted. They know the forum well, they probably have sat on keyboards, blocked screens, made comments and walked off disgusted.

Please post any pictures here so we can see who they are and how they use their 'owners' as channels !

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Tweed

100_4764.jpg
What ball? You threw it where?

100_4394.jpg

Blue plastic skittle is mine. Love blue plastic skittle. Take it and you're dead.​

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Oh I love that picture ! I had a black Labrador like that.

Blue plastic skittle is mine. Love blue plastic skittle. Take it and you're dead.

Sounds reasonable :rofl:

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
beautiful , Topal ! I hear him(?) saying in that pic "look at me , I'm the center of the universe " :D

What ball? You threw it where?
ah... I know that. Try to train her to fetch things but she just go where I throw it- sometimes- smell it and leaves :rolleyes:

Loki: she is our heart-stealer :flirt:

001c9ebe-ab9f-40f8-983d-6081270edc0f_zps7af5ed8f.jpg

unknown breed ; either mixed Pekingese and Spaniel or - as many have told us- an ancient Greek breed called kokoni( small dog)

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Loki's a cutie! Very sensitive little face. I haven't heard of that breed before - nice mix.

Yes, the old ball throwing routine is Tweed's addiction. He'd go on all day if he could. But he's not the brightest bulb in the factory. He often goes in the opposite direction to where I've thrown the ball and then when I point in the correct direction he sniffs my finger. :rolleyes: He also gets distracted by smells, drops the ball and forgets where he left it. We go through about a bag of eight tennis balls a month.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I thought Loki looks very sensitive and feminine .

My black Labrador wasn't terribly bright in some respects either. Had trouble with doors. Never quite grasped the fact that in order to go through a closed door she needed to give me the space to open it. However I also have door issues so maybe she got it from me. I am always pushing doors that say 'PULL' and pulling doors that say 'PUSH'.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The pair of us in revolving doors must have been a sight to behold :D

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
He often goes in the opposite direction to where I've thrown the ball and then when I point in the correct direction he sniffs my finger. :rolleyes:

:rofl: I'm sure he is smart and just "ignore" it.... you know the cartoon with the dog conditioning Pavlov.
;)

Yes I thought Loki looks very sensitive and feminine .

My black Labrador wasn't terribly bright in some respects either. Had trouble with doors. Never quite grasped the fact that in order to go through a closed door she needed to give me the space to open it.

hahaha, can relate . When she hears the word "walk" runs to the door and of course can't open it.

door thingy... good to know I'm not the only one. :cool:

she is very girly dog Very -very selective with males but I read somewhere that this breed 'kokoni' tend to mate with same breed dog- don't know yet. Her beautiful big eyes makes you melt . Sometimes we lay on the floor and just looking each other :)blush:) She still has "issues" with cars and loud noises but she can be also a good guard. In some situations seems not bright at all , we joke with her. Quite suspicious tho , lol.

andrea

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Here's Crosbie.

Attachments

• crosbie-by-lisa-apr-2014.jpg
    crosbie-by-lisa-apr-2014.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 84

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like he's hoping that someone's dinner will gravitate towards his mouth...

What breed is he? A mix?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Wow we have some beautiful pictures here. Crosbie looks ....lovely.

There are no cats yet. Not everyone is able to post pictures...but written introductions are also welcome. :)

Hey I just saw the blue plastic skittle in the new picture from Topal. It's funny...I wonder what it is about the skittle that Tweed loves so much.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
how to catch mice

Kitty has given me many lessons on how to catch mice, but I am an inept kitten and have never done it in good cat fashion. First she belly flops in front of me. Then she smacks the ground with the left paw with claws spread. That's hooking the mouse. Then she turns her head to me and smiles. What fun! Then she smacks the ground with the other paw with claws spread. Don't let it escape! But if it does, it's fun to chase, so she scampers off a few yards as if chasing it and then does her cat power ritual -- sharpening her claws on a post or tree. When I actually do catch a mouse in a trap and show it to her, she turns up her nose at it. I didn't catch it the right way. My sister has also received such instruction.

S

sooo

Crosbie looks tuned into humans. My guess is he's part bull terrier (originally bred for hunting bear), or possibly Boston terrier (often brown and white), part lab (his intelligent human connection, used for hunting mostly foul), possibly some Rottweiler (originally bred for hunting lions, wild pigs and deer). Hunting breeds have a strong desire to please and follow their owner.

Cool dog.

S

sooo

Loki: she is our heart-stealer :flirt:

001c9ebe-ab9f-40f8-983d-6081270edc0f_zps7af5ed8f.jpg

unknown breed ; either mixed Pekingese and Spaniel or - as many have told us- an ancient Greek breed called kokoni( small dog)

Sounds right. She still looks a bit uncertain of where she belongs, tentative. Is she energetic or withdrawn, and does she like to sit on your lap or is she still too shy?

S

sooo

Topal, how did you come up with the name Tweed? Is he/she full black Lab?

S

sooo

Jake the snake chaser. He ain't pretty but he's a good dog, a real cowdog, goes on every ride out of here. Mix of German Shepard, possibly Rottie, and who knows what else.

Jake001_zps45494f67.jpg

I like to think Mojo's still around in spirit, if nowhere else but in the coyotes that ate him, and for sure in my heart. I was vacuuming remaining fur, stuck in the fabric of my truck interior the other day, talking to him as I did. When I was finished I realized that the turning brushes on the passenger's seat had eaten clear through. Beside feeling like an idiot, I couldn't help but notice how much it looked like a dog had dug through the material into the foam. I thought maybe he was mad that I was vacuuming up his remains, but it probably was just my imagination. I ordered new seat covers. I'll go on talking to him till I die. Wait for me, buddy.

That fury thing under his paw is "his baby". He had it most of his entire life, cleaned and cuddled it every night.

mojoandhisbaby.jpg

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
Sounds right. She still looks a bit uncertain of where she belongs, tentative. Is she energetic or withdrawn, and does she like to sit on your lap or is she still too shy?

she is much much better since the time of this photo. Very energetic, playful. She trusts us and has a special bond with me but goes along very well with everybody in this house and my nieces too who those days are here and enjoy her. We tease her because when we hug she run to join us and sometimes we do it again and again. She loves caressing her and her "normal" posture when we just approach her is to lay down with her back on the floor waiting to caress her, lol. She is "in season" those days but won't try to breed her, she is not at this age- i was told. Thinking to let her give birth once , its healthier I was advised- haven't decide yet.

will post a more recent photo when we download the pics from the camera. :)

I like to think Mojo's still around in spirit, if nowhere else but in the coyotes that ate him, and for sure in my heart.

I 'm sure his spirit is around you. * heart*
.... thinking of him very often. Mojo has those lovely eyes that take your heart as captive.

Jake is handsome- his posture emits an inner strength- his beauty !!!

Kitty has given me many lessons on how to catch mice, but I am an inept kitten and have never done it in good cat fashion. First she belly flops in front of me. Then she smacks the ground with the left paw with claws spread. That's hooking the mouse. Then she turns her head to me and smiles. What fun! Then she smacks the ground with the other paw with claws spread. Don't let it escape! But if it does, it's fun to chase, so she scampers off a few yards as if chasing it and then does her cat power ritual -- sharpening her claws on a post or tree. When I actually do catch a mouse in a trap and show it to her, she turns up her nose at it. I didn't catch it the right way. My sister has also received such instruction.

smiles... I hope you can post a pic to see how the Queen of the house looks!!. ;)

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hey I just saw the blue plastic skittle in the new picture from Topal. It's funny...I wonder what it is about the skittle that Tweed loves so much.

He likes a spot of bowling now and then ...

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Jake the snake chaser. He ain't pretty but he's a good dog, a real cowdog, goes on every ride out of here. Mix of German Shepard, possibly Rottie, and who knows what else.

Jake looks like a solid alpha male. Reminds me of a friend of mine who works in a bar in France. He's an ex-bouncer who looks as though he's a member of the Russian mafia complete with tattoos and scars but has a huge heart. If you were in trouble he'd be there like a flash. Not a bad guy to have on your side if things get dicy lol. I imagine Jake has that kind of doggie ethic.

Mojo looks beautiful. I love that desert colouring. I don't know if you mentioned, was he a pedigree?

Topal, how did you come up with the name Tweed? Is he/she full black Lab?

It was the name that he came with. I think it is in reference to tweed suits that game-keepers used to wear. Before he ended up at the rescue centre in Aberdeen (east coast of Scotland) he had apparently been passed around several game-keepers. There's a strong concentration of estates and managed forests up here with attendant game-keepers responsible for rearing game birds to shoot. Working dogs are sometimes treated badly and Tweed was no exception.

As to breed, yes he is a pedigree black lab. It's a shame but Tweed is an example of black labradors today which are being bred to be smaller - almost the size of large spaniels - with a decrease in head size especially. Which is why you find the ears hanging down much more than partially erect. The original European black labradors were much thicker set and with wider heads - generally stockier. A friend of mine said that this was due to the Kennel Club mentality who think that this new form is how labradors should look. It's nothing but dog fashion vanity in my view.

I grew up with both black labradors, golden retrievers and the now dwindling Red Setters. They were wonderful game dogs. (My father was very much into shooting and hunting). However,Tweed is a disaster on that score. But to be fair, he was apparently raised as a stud dog and was kept in steel cage for most of his seven years.

He may not be the most intelligent but he is the most loving dog I've ever known.

tweedNovember21013.jpg

Last edited:
S

sooo

she is much much better since the time of this photo. Very energetic, playful. She trusts us and has a special bond with me but goes along very well with everybody in this house and my nieces too who those days are here and enjoy her. We tease her because when we hug she run to join us and sometimes we do it again and again. She loves caressing her and her "normal" posture when we just approach her is to lay down with her back on the floor waiting to caress her, lol. She is "in season" those days but won't try to breed her, she is not at this age- i was told. Thinking to let her give birth once , its healthier I was advised- haven't decide yet.

will post a more recent photo when we download the pics from the camera. :)

That's awesome! I'm as happy for her as I am for you. Makes me smile big! Glad she's found the right home, glad you've found the right dog. I look forward to see a recent picture.

S

sooo

Jake looks like a solid alpha male. Reminds me of a friend of mine who works in a bar in France. He's an ex-bouncer who looks as though he's a member of the Russian mafia complete with tattoos and scars but has a huge heart. If you were in trouble he'd be there like a flash. Not a bad guy to have on your side if things get dicy lol. I imagine Jake has that kind of doggie ethic.

Mojo looks beautiful. I love that desert colouring. I don't know if you mentioned, was he a pedigree?

It was the name that he came with. I think it is in reference to tweed suits that game-keepers used to wear. Before he ended up at the rescue centre in Aberdeen (east coast of Scotland) he had apparently been passed around several game-keepers. There's a strong concentration of estates and managed forests up here with attendant game-keepers responsible for rearing game birds to shoot. Working dogs are sometimes treated badly and Tweed was no exception.

As to breed, yes he is a pedigree black lab. It's a shame but Tweed is an example of black labradors today which are being bred to be smaller - almost the size of large spaniels - with a decrease in head size especially. Which is why you find the ears hanging down much more than partially erect. The original European black labradors were much thicker set and with wider heads - generally stockier. A friend of mine said that this was due to the Kennel Club mentality who think that this new form is how labradors should look. It's nothing but dog fashion vanity in my view.

I grew up with both black labradors, golden retrievers and the now dwindling Red Setters. They were wonderful game dogs. (My father was very much into shooting and hunting). However,Tweed is a disaster on that score. But to be fair, he was apparently raised as a stud dog and was kept in steel cage for most of his seven years.

He may not be the most intelligent but he is the most loving dog I've ever known.

tweedNovember21013.jpg

Touching story. It's sad how dogs are so often treated, but he's lucky to have you come into his life after seven years of being penned up for human use. Yes, labs, black and golden, here are typically stout dogs, fairly broad head, 80-90 lbs, sometimes more. I think goldens are typically larger than blacks. Their real assets, to me anyway, are their natural connection to humans. Because of their "soft mouths", as to not crush the birds they fetch, they are among the most likely to bite; a little known fact. However it's usually not a terrible bite, more nippy prone.

Mojo was a golden lab/chow mix, and his disposition exhibited that as much as his stilted hind legs, broad chest, curled tail and black and pink tongue (the chow side), and his squared head, fur color, and gentle human connection of the lab. Chows have a pretty bad reputation as being wanderers, biters, and fiercely independent nature, all which were true, but all were tempered by the gentler and intelligent lab. He probably had some other lines in his blood, as chows do get around, and this area is not known for well trained and mannered dogs. There are dog owners and dog lovers; most here have a dog to own a dog, and that means too many dogs running around and unattended. Mojo took a lot of work, years of work, to tame the chow temperament and fierce independence (it's true what they say about dogs and their owners sharing traits). But I also was careful not to break his spirit in the process. Near the end, he was in every way a great dog and a great friend.

Jake - according to his owners, he was born with a broken ear, but looking now and noticing his left eye is also crooked, makes me think he may have suffered some sort of stroke or neurological damage, either in the womb or after. I was also told his prior owner wasn't a kind master, so who knows what may have happened. But you read him perfectly. He's a tough dog. I've not seen him back down from a domestic dog of any size, including pit bulls, shepherds, rotties, and he often goes off and plays with the coyotes while on rides. But he's very gentle and affectionate with me, a bit overly timid to take food, which makes me suspicious of his original owner, and being strictly an outside dog, the one time I brought him inside to cool off during a scorching 105F afternoon, he felt out of place and wanted out. He has his own cool spot under a section of the owners' extended house. Probably where he was bitten by the rattler recently. He hates snakes and gets in their face with loud barks until they move along off the property. Tough dog, great ranch dog, and a good guy... much as you've described your friend. He also will herd cattle and horses if called to. Have to say, I feel safer knowing he's around.

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
he was apparently raised as a stud dog and was kept in steel cage for most of his seven years.

tweedNovember21013.jpg

Ahhh, glad he found - and you gave him - a good home. Your initial photo with him in the sea seems different now in my eyes. May you enjoy each other company :)

S

sooo

I was just hired to take care of a border collie named Sky for the first couple weeks of August, by Chacta's owner. I like border collies as a rule, and Sky is pretty mellow. He'll be coming inside at night and heat of the afternoon, so it'll be nice to have a dog around the house awhile. He gets the vacuuming treatment at night when he comes in, just like Mojo did, was told he likes it. I'll post a picture of him here when I have him. I'll be minding the ranch during those two weeks while the owners are gone, so will be a pretty busy stable boy/doggie sitter. Jake will be staying too.

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Ahhh, glad he found - and you gave him - a good home. Your initial photo with him in the sea seems different now in my eyes. May you enjoy each other company :)

Thank you and yes, well picked up.

The above photo was the first day he arrived. You can see he's cowering slightly and underweight. He was extremely nervous but friendly despite it. He didn't move from this spot for hours. His teeth were really bad too - caked with years of tartar - so that had to be taken care of with a hefty vet's bill.

As the more recent photos attest, he's fighting fit now and a very happy dog.

S

sooo

The above photo was the first day he arrived. You can see he's cowering slightly and underweight. He was extremely nervous but friendly despite it. He didn't move from this spot for hours. His teeth were really bad too - caked with years of tartar - so that had to be taken care of with a hefty vet's bill.
Aww, I hadn't realized that. It looks as if he's saying, "are you going to be nice to me? Will I be safe here?" Kudos to you for footing the bill for his dental care and whatever else you're doing to give him a happy life. Heartwarming. That love is returned ten-fold, I'll bet.

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks Bruce, it certainly is. :bows:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score

You need to pay more attention ! :D I'd love to see a picture of this legendary cat.

Jake the dog looks a right character...My dog didn't have a favourite toy, in fact I didn't realise dogs cuddled and cleaned things or got intensely attached to such objects as the blue skittle....although my dog got very attached to large branches and sticks on the ground. Always gave herself the important task of bringing them home even when far to large for her to pull. Nothing would deter her from her aim. On each and every walk she selected a branch or stick to bring back home....and on getting it home would chew it with relish in the garden. I imagine it served the function of a large tooth pick,,,,her teeth stayed pretty good anyway

S

sooo

On each and every walk she selected a branch or stick to bring back home....and on getting it home would chew it with relish in the garden. I imagine it served the function of a large tooth pick,,,,her teeth stayed pretty good anyway

Did she get the hang of turning her head/stick sideways when going through a gateway? Chewing the tree branch probably was very good for her teeth.

Yeah, Jake has lots of character.

I'd also like to see Tom's dominatrix feline.
7f7439a866edf5d3427856920793f7f1.jpg

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Did she get the hang of turning her head/stick sideways when going through a gateway?

Funny you should mention that ......most of the time she didn't remember and charged straight through the gateway and got stuck fast and confused when the stick got stuck. Eventually she'd figure how to get through via trial and error. However she didn't generally remember this the next time she came to a gateway with a large stick.

My dog looked pretty much exactly like Tweed. Sounds similar too. She wasn't particularly well trained but very loving and mostly happy to stay fairly near to me when we went out and come when called.

Good enough for me :D

One thing I do regret a little. I used to exercise her well each day but I wondered if all my stick throwing was a bit too much as she had arthritis in later life. I think arthritis is pretty common in Labradors so it might be something to bear in mind Topal. I took care never to let her stay too damp anyway. But when she chased after sticks she'd run at full pelt .....skid and I wondered when she was older if it had affected her joints

That reminds me another feature of our relationship was that I could throw a stick if she dropped it but she would never ever give it back if I tried to take it to throw again. She never quite got the hang of the idea she was meant to chase the stick then bring it back to me and give it to me. I recall my partner trying to get a stick off her and her holding on so tight he swung her through the air. She did seem to enjoy the tussle over the stick, she thought that was fun....but we could never get it off her before she was ready

S

sooo

Funny! Some dogs much prefer a good game of keep away over fetch. It's a control thing. Mojo was the same way. I eventually trained him to fetch but he'd become bored very quickly with that. He was a digger though and loved to bury what he'd fetch. Since the backyard was large and rugged, the property owner didn't mind. Mojo loved to dig, really laid into it wholeheartedly with that powerful chow upper body. When I'd give him a big chew bone, he'd walk around impatiently waiting for me to go back into the house so he could bury it in a secret place. I'd go inside but peak through the curtain. Then I'd come out and ask him wear he buried it. He'd play dumb and deaf, so I'd wander over to the spot and push a little dirt around, teasing him. He'd come over and unearth it and wait again until I'd go inside, then bury it in a different spot. When it would rain, the tough leather would get soft and then he'd dig it up and eat part and bury the rest. Every day I'd chase him around the truck in the garage, change directions and go the other way, sometimes hop into the back and hide, he'd come looking for me until I'd pop my head up, and we'd be back to the races again. But all I'd need to do was stop and open my arms and he'd come running to me for hugs. It was our daily play routine. Keep away could be a control thing, or just a game. I could always take a bone away from him without protest. He knew I'd give it back.

I've never known a lab that didn't have rear hip joint problems later in life, including Mojo. I really doubt running compounded it, but it may have put it off a good while and made it less of a problem, so I wouldn't blame yourself. It's a well known problem with labs. http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/hips.html

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).