...life can be translucent

Menu

Your Experiences with Unchanging Hexagrams - Hexagram 50

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Starting with Wing on 50uc

COSMIC ORDER received without changing lines indicates that those with whom you are associated, as well as yourself, will attain success. SUN, small efforts, present in the lower trigram of worldly affairs, is coming together and is being illuminated by LI, clarity, above. The higher realms of group consciousness are being stimulated. Your entire milieu, whether it is religious, social, political, or familial, is developing in accord with the cosmos.

So, in short, something's cooking. Different elements are blending together to make something more than the sum of the parts. Stew.

I haven't had 50uc often but I note when I have had it I haven't been able to grasp or see what is happening at the time. So I've asked how something is going, had 50uc and have felt that what is cooking is out of my range of perception so to speak....but it's cooking good. Speaking in kinaesthetic terms my sense of 50uc is it is all taking place over the top of my head, which is something of what I think Wing refers to when she says "the higher realms of group consciousness are being stimulated".

So, in practical terms, as an answer, I don't personally feel 50uc is that practical :D My current sense of it is that there are processes underway, transformations arising from the blending of many elements but this blending is happening beyond my consciousness. For want of a better word I must say I feel 50uc is quite a spiritual answer in that one feels things happening 'behind the scenes'. I say I haven't experienced it as a practical 'what to do' answer because in hindsight I see various elements coming in to play to transform a situation, to cook up a new situation that involves no overt meddling or design from me or anyone else.

The example that comes to mind is a successful rock or pop band. I was just thinking of the Beatles ....There wasn't anyone anywhere who said "we need 4 young men and they will do this...at this particular time in history and it will have this effect..."and so on. The combination of the times, the 'zeitgeist' if you like, the band members, the cultural changes.....all happening together seemed to create more than the sum of parts....ie the 60s. Cultural transformation occurring in many different ways at the same time all interacting to cook up something.

I notice if I get 50uc as an answer I tend not to think 'how shall I do that' I tend to think 'oh ! things are cooking !'. I'm not saying that's the right way to think of 50uc I'm just sharing my current personal experience. The lines of 50 give one somewhere to stand and 'do' in that 'cooking' whereas for me, 50 unchanging shows a whole bigger process I can't see in it's entirety at the time of casting.

It has been an auspicious casting for me as in hindsight. Those things I have received 50uc about do have that sense of things coming together to cook up something new.

I shall turn to the Image in Hilary's book
since the Image is often most helpful when receiving hexagrams in unchanging form.

'Above wood there is fire: the Vessel.
A noble one sets the situation straight and consolidates her destiny.'

Fire rises from wood, and clarity rises from subtle inward receptivity. This is the cooking- place, the place for transmutation, and so the noble one works to bring it into harmony. She straightens out her situation - her relationships, especially, and where she stands overall.

This provides a good stable basis for transformative work - a harmonious context where destiny can be realised. Inside a well- made Vessel, your sense of who you are and what you are here to do crystallizes and becomes clearly defined.

So there is a more active aspect there to 50....and I especially note the word 'destiny' which I link strongly with 50.

How has your experience of 50uc readings been ? For you what has it meant and how has it manifested in your life ?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
BTW if anyone has thoughts on how this pair 49 and 50 throw light upon each other, especially in terms of experience that would be good. I've found when receiving an unchanging hexagram as an answer it is really useful to think of the other of the pair because it will be there in the answer too.

My most basic thought is that while 49 turns things upside down, moulting ready for renewal, 50 gives a stable base to build up something new.

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
i have also found difficult to express with words, and mainly because the way i have experience it involves contradictory feelings... ;there is a 'quietness' , a serenity emerged from it, but also a gut-wrenching feeling-sort of.

49 and 50 seem so alike in some respects... on difference might be that in 49 there is a vague sense of a form, whereas at 50 is not yet formed. ( will try to find a better way to explain it :blush: )

knotxx

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I like what the wiki says:

Unchanging, especially: hold things together, contain them and stay with them, so they can be transformed

I seem very often to get 50uc when I'm quite upset or angry or fearful. I do often feel that I am personally boiling in some sense when I get this.

Earlier this year I had this weird and rather embarrassing exchange with the yi. I was quite downhearted about my career and said, "well I can have hope, at least." 12uc And that made me so cross: what do you mean "NO HOPE," what kind of . . . so we had a little argument, me and the yi, and I finally got so angry I said "f-- you!" and cast. And I got 50uc. Then I said "I only meant 'hope that there will be some joy and peace in my life'" and got 14.2.4-22

But to tell the truth, as I knew at the time, that was not what I originally meant by hope--originally I meant more material things. But it was what I meant by the end of that argument--it was what I realized I actually wanted--so the argument itself, and my anger, kind of distilled my question to its bright essence. If that makes any sense.

Another time, after laboriously devising a revision plan for my editor, I said "I feel good about this!" and got 50uc. Which always makes me think: good but painful, painful. But she liked it too. I think in that case the boiling came in executing it, which took months and was quite difficult.

A couple of other times in the past two or three years: "I feel like my career is a disaster:" 50uc; "feeling of failure:" 50uc

I hope my hot/boiling unhappy feelings (which are mostly abating) marked a distilling process of some better attitude. And perhaps hopefully as trojan says there will be auspiciousness in hindsight.

Sometimes I do feel like I'm what's in the pot with 50uc, though.

One final, far more down-to-earth reading: Will X be a good guesthouse to stay at on the west coast of Ireland? 50uc (I booked it, but a day before I was to arrive the woman who ran it was injured. She transferred me to her brother's guesthouse, which I was a little concerned about, but it ended up being perfectly fine.)

Yasmin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Transformation of person(s) or circumstance

I got 50UC when asking about a difficult relationship, which forced me to look deep inside myself and transform myself. Healing, truly cathartic and transformative for me, but with a lot of pain involved. Honestly, not for the faint hearted! :stir:

But my question was whether we would ever reconnect, and my mind was open as to the nature of a possible renewal. I took 50UC as a conditional response: ultimate success is possible IF both persons and the entire situation grow up and truly change, transmute to a higher level. I cannot see it for now, but perhaps it's also an omen - time will tell.

I find that the Yi often responds simultaneously on many levels- individual and overall situation, descriptive of the current situation, conditional or predictive...

Last edited:

Madmaxmel

visitor
Reaction score
I have been very negative person, and in the past year made a lot of work with myself. I've gotten to the point in my life that I stay positive (most of the time) and I can see the positive effect of also around.
Hex 50 has been cheering me on this transition.
When I had low self-esteem, Hex 50 line 4 clearly told that I had a problem. The next step is to take yourself to focus on the positive. And now I have already received line 5 and line 6 answers. I understand hex 50 is, therefore, very spiritual Hexagram.

S

sooo

Day before yesterday my daily reading was 50.6. The jade handles were evident. I enjoyed where I was so much that yesterday I asked, how can I remain in that place? I received 50 uc. Just chuckled.

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I have been very negative person, and in the past year made a lot of work with myself. I've gotten to the point in my life that I stay positive (most of the time) and I can see the positive effect of also around.
Hex 50 has been cheering me on this transition.
When I had low self-esteem, Hex 50 line 4 clearly told that I had a problem. The next step is to take yourself to focus on the positive. And now I have already received line 5 and line 6 answers. I understand hex 50 is, therefore, very spiritual Hexagram.

The alchemical Hexagram par excellence! :D

susieq777

visitor
Reaction score
justice

I asked, 'Why should we have hope that there will be justice in the western world?'

By justice I didn't mean the common idea of justice which really seems more to me like revenge. But I meant more that the rich will not continue to be able to exploit the not-rich for their own plaything, and all the other distortions that occur downwind in a society when that is the case.

I loved this answer. 50UC gave me an immediate sense of peace and comfort. It set me in mind of the collective consciousness, of the inner work that so many people around the world are doing, and the hope that maybe the tipping point will come where the people's power puts paid to the rich's thievery.

It also made me feel a little daunted. Lots more cooking to do, lots more flesh to fall off the bone.

Tim K

visitor
Reaction score
After watching BBC film about Confucius I just wanted to share the image of real Ancient China Ting.

BBC.Genius.Of.The.Ancient.World.3of3.Confucius_23.37.jpg

full size
Four different types.

BBC.Genius.Of.The.Ancient.World.3of3.Confucius_25.20.jpg

Some humans as a reference point, to feel the size of these things :)

BBC.Genius.Of.The.Ancient.World.3of3.Confucius_23.30.jpg

full size

Up-close shot.

According to the beliefs of Ancient China, the man lives in a world created by Heaven and Earth (Yin and Yang), and his task is to keep these energies in balance.
Ruler is chosen among men by the mandate of Heaven.
By offering sacrifice the king can restore the balance of Yin and Yang, well anyone can but the king should protect all of his people.

upd: oh there is a four legged one! found on the internet
71794884_p.png

Ritual Cooking Vessel (fang ding), Late 11th century B.C.E.
Foreign Title: Ritual Cooking Vessel (ch'eng-wang fang-ting). Chinese.
Bronze 11 x 6 x 7 1/4 inches (27.94 x 15.24 x 18.42 cm).

Last edited:

compass

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
This morning I went to start on a new editing job, took one look at the files and knew it was going to take a long-ass time, much longer than time allowed as I have two more jobs that needed completing on time right afterward. The choice was either start on the complicated one and put all three behind schedule or eat humble pie and tell the publisher I couldn't complete this complicated one after all. I cast and got 49.1.5 (radical change) -> 62 (small overstepping). So I told the publisher 'no' and they were actually quite nice about it and offered another title instead that I could complete much later. I cast about whether I should take this one and got 50uc. So I said 'yes'.

So I'm taking away that it all worked out well in the long run. I'm thinking 50uc is indicating a transformation of my relationship with the publisher because my honesty with them worked out better work-wise, but also that the relationship could continue to transform, or 50uc is reflecting on my work practice. As others said earlier, it might be better judged in hindsight.

deepstillwater

visitor
Reaction score
I was going into a dance competition the other weekend and I asked what would be the outcome of the finals (which I made it into). I got 50 unchanging.

My experience of competing was that I remembered the beginning of my dance and the end, and the rest was a blur of just pure joy. I placed third!

I take it that the ordinary steps that were part of dancing were transformed in the moment into a dance that was joyful to dance and watch. Truly it was a wonderful experience.

deepstillwater

visitor
Reaction score
Absolutely trojina!
I have a friend in the dance community who came up to me after the announcement of the winners to tell me how impressed she was with the dance (it was a Balboa jack and Jill, so dance couples are matched in the final completely randomly - couples must build a connection together, express musically and dance skill pretty quickly). She said she had never seen me dance like that before, and that it was wonderful. She was shinning with happiness for me which was so lovely.
So my dance partner and I really cooked up something wonderful together.

themothership

visitor
Reaction score
I have very frequently received 50uc when I have an important message waiting for me to read, either an email, a text, or a voicemail. I have received it alerting me to this on NUMEROUS occasions. It does not indicate the medium that contains the message, but in every case it was there and contained very important information that concerned my immediate situation.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
the message indicating a whole new constitution following the moulting of 49 ?

V

veavea

I've typically been a bit fearful in the way I've handled money, as if it's something very hot in my hands and I can't hold onto it for fear of it burning me. Yesterday I thought of buying a physical lockable moneybox into which I'd put any money that I would otherwise have spent on something foolish and unnecessary. Then it occurred to me that, since I handle actual cash less often than electronic money, a digital moneybox would be better - if such a thing existed. I googled and, lo! such a thing does exist - not only does it gobble your surplus bits of money but it invests them on your behalf. Great. I asked Yi: would this digital moneybox be good for me? 50uc. Greater than the sum of its parts? I hope so...!!!

As I then registered for the new service I felt very different - happy, confident and optimistic, which is not normally how I feel around money at all. It did feel like the establishment of a new way of doing things, and a new way of being.

N

nAstWr

Hex 50 has confused me a lot. Really it seems so auspicious as it mentions great success but I have experienced as yes and no in yes/no questions.

Will x send me birthday wishes? Yes he did!
Will x happen this year (for 2016)? No it didn't

I have more 50 uc for this year so I am just waiting to see how it will play out.

themothership

visitor
Reaction score
My experience with 50UC

Starting with Wing on 50uc
So there is a more active aspect there to 50....and I especially note the word 'destiny' which I link strongly with 50.

How has your experience of 50uc readings been ? For you what has it meant and how has it manifested in your life ?

I have experienced this oracle when receiving emails or messages from other people. I have also been alerted that I have something important in the mailbox. I have also received in in relation to a song I wrote and recorded. When lines are active, it has clued me into the actual reception of messages I've sent others, either through text or email.

For example, when I was worried about why i wasn't getting a response, the first line was active. And it turned out that the other party's phone was full and he had to delete some messages in order to receive new ones. Line 2 indicated that there was a message waiting that has REAL value in it. I would check my email and there would be an unexpected and unsought sum of money sent to my Paypal.
In another instance, line 5 was active - assuring me that the message was received. Line 3 showed a delay. Line 4 indicated a total failure, either the message was ignored or it never got through or it was terribly misunderstood, or it was totally unimportant so forget about it.

All of these oracles had to do with the transmitting of a message in a container or medium. And the contents either were of value, or were not nourishing. And the contents were always matters that affect the transformation of my circumstances and my life into new situations and circumstances.

Unchanging I have always therefore interpreted as a promise that SOMETHING that comes from within me, something I have placed into a container, a message in a bottle containing my hopes and dreams and needs, has gone out and is right now in the process of being read OR - that someone else is RIGHT NOW in the present putting a message into a medium to send to me.

I love this hexagram. I have asked about blog entries - and been alerted that I should check my visitor statistics because it reached people's consciousness, or had better response than I expected.

Messages are not just contained on paper, or on a sign, or in a phone. They are carried through other mediums too. My boyfriend leaves me little messages in tiny gifts he leaves around. I go to the mirror and see a little phrase or picture he cut out of a magazine. Things that would mean nothing to anyone else but I know exactly what he is saying.

I have received it when job searching and waiting for a recruiter. Or when sending out messages trying to recruit someone else to join me in an endeavor. Unchanging always means that somewhere someone is putting together a message for me.

Just this morning, I awoke from a dream, the second one this week, with the same person in it - a good dream. I asked the oracle and received 50uc. My intuition or spirit is receptive and aware that something is coming. And it is going to be good! :)

pooja123

visitor
Reaction score
I got 50 unchanging for confirmation that I will receive replies for emails replies and text message. I noticed it is immediate or within the same day of reading. I noticed that the day of the reading the hexagram lines had strong supportive elements compared to the day/month elements. The communication is generally positive.

Dsouza

visitor
Reaction score
I'm very new here...just wanted to add this. Has anyone read the foreword to the iching where carl jung speaks on hexagram 50..he received an unchanging hexagram..which got me thinking about how one should read an unchanging hexagram whether it was only by concentrating on the image of the hexagram or whether all the lines were crucial in interpretation..any reply would be awesome..cheers!! Also addingThe Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao; The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The nameless is the beginning of heaven Kindly insist fellow members.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I'm very new here...just wanted to add this. Has anyone read the foreword to the iching where carl jung speaks on hexagram 50..he received an unchanging hexagram.

Yes, thanks for the reminder. Can't recall what his question was though ? I think it was about the Oracle itself..

.which got me thinking about how one should read an unchanging hexagram whether it was only by concentrating on the image of the hexagram or whether all the lines were crucial in interpretation..any reply would be awesome..cheers!!

Well different people have different ideas so there is no definitive 'should' on this. Interpretation is an art rather than a science and people tend to evolve their own ways over the years as they develop their own relationship with the I Ching.

Your question is a general one on unchanging hexagrams rather than your experiences with 50uc so this thread, that preceded all the others, may help to see different people's views on it.

Personally I don't read all the lines when receiving an unchanging hexagram, I don't see the need as one didn't cast the lines. However some people like to read all the lines to get a feel for how the hexagram 'story' progresses through the lines. So it's entirely up to you to find out what is most useful to you. Try all kinds of ways and I recommend looking through people's ideas in the thread I linked to above.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
To be clear you wouldn't take the lines into account as your answer when receiving an unchanging hexagram. If any lines applied then you would have cast the lines. What I meant was some people like to read all the lines any way. Not because it's their answer but more to get a feel for the whole hexagram I imagine.

V

veavea

Just went back and read Jung's foreword. Yes, the question is about the oracle itself but the cast has changing lines, so 50.2.3 > 35... Jung does read all the lines of 50 in his foreword but just for context. :)

EDIT: for clarity's sake, I'm just pointing out that Jung's foreword is not about an unchanging hexagram, so does not explicitly relate to this thread, but I agree that it is a very useful and interesting reminder!

Last edited:

marybluesky

visitor
Reaction score
I received 50 uc when I asked "What effect my relationship with P had on him?"- a descriptive rather than active question.
I don't know if the I Ching reflected my state of mind or his, as I've heard you should ask about what concerns YOU rather than someone else; however the "transformation" was exactly what I sensed in myself and the guy during our time together.
For me it was very positive- like pulling out some dark/suppressed/uncultivated elements of my psyche, recognizing them, and starting to integrate them with my conscious process of search for love.
For him, the willingness of opening up little by little and exposing himself to the risk of what hurt him in the past: emotional intimacy.
The concrete results weren't considerable, but I know how great a transformation I went though this relationship.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing :bows:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail: