...life can be translucent

Menu

Philip K. Dick's birthday today (Dec 16, 1928)...wrote novel using I Ching

morphyijing

visitor
Reaction score
The "Man in the High Castle" is supposedly soon (2015) to be released as something 'made for tv' by Amazon.

While writing the science fiction novel P K Dick supposedly used the I Ching to inspire the plot and to make decisions about how it unfolded.

While asking Hilary's version "Comment please on PKDick's birthday today?" I got:

16.2.3.32 : Enthusiasm -> Lasting

Line 2:

‘Boundaries turning to stone,
Not for a whole day.
Constancy, good fortune.’

Line 3:
‘Enthusiasm gazing upward, regret.
Procrastination brings regret.’

I personally predict that once this miniseries is released Clarity will suddenly become extremely popular.

Allan:stir:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
While asking Hilary's version "Comment please on PKDick's birthday today?" I got:

I never read Dick's book but I think I heard somewhere he didn't really show much understanding of the I Ching in it ? I could be wrong. But um what significance does his birthday have to Yi ? :confused:

I think all answers include us, we who ask. I feel as soon as we leave ourselves out of the interpretation we can get pretty lost. Here for example you have left yourself entirely out of the question....as if the answer will be all about Mr Dick and not your involvement with, and interest in, the book and so on.

When I saw the cast I felt it described your engagement with what will happen when the film is out..I thought it showed you looking upward as in line 3, with enthusiasm. You sound enthusiastic, excited, although I'm not completely sure what it is you are enthusiastic about ? You feel when the film comes out the I Ching will suddenly become mega popular ?

Well who knows the answer might be about Dick's birthday....which is what you asked about....but why would his birthday be of any special significance ? You seem to be more interested in the impact of the film so I wonder why you didn't ask about that ?

Anyway if I take the answer as about the impact of the film on the ICC community (which you didn't ask about) then I'd say things would go on just as they have been . There is 32 as relating hexagram...and all that expectation in 16.3 which I think is yours...

Anyway I'm rambling but I want to link to this thread from my blog in CC as I wanted to write about people leaving themselves out of answers. You see I don't think we hardly ever can. Whatever we ask the answer is addressed to our own consciousness and relation to the thing asked about. I'll link to this thread over there as an example for what I wish to write about but if you object (since you can't see it if not in CC) PM me and I will delete the link.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone here read Dick's book BTW and if so what did you think of it ?

moss elk

visitor
Reaction score
http://www.noapologiespress.com/others/pkd1.html
Philip K Dick discussing his schitzophrenia, the i ching, reality...etc

I haven't yet read The Man in the High Castle,
But intend to. He had a huge impact on many writers, especially those with sci-fi or existential wonderings.
I've read several of his books and didn't learn until after I discovered the i ching, that he was familiar with it too.

Last edited:

morphyijing

visitor
Reaction score
Trojina,
Feel free to maintain the link...all your observations are quite interesting and I believe there is truth and wisdom in much of what you say.
I read 'Man in the High Castle' just recently and agree that it does not seem intended by the author to showcase any skill he may have had with oracular consultation or interpretation.

As for the significance of P K Dick's birthday, the movie's imminent release seems to be timed to it. After the movie is released people will be motivated to find out more about the Yi...what better place to do that than this site?

morphyijing

visitor
Reaction score
Moss Elk,
Thanks for providing the PKD link. It will be very interesting to see what is amplified, subdued, altered or outright changed about the book when the production is released. Hopefully the net result will at least motivate people to learn about the I Ching.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Comment on birthday:

16. Enthusiastic to 32.Endure.

He's happy to be alive!

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
... except that he's dead.

Clarity,