...life can be translucent

Menu

Troubled by Hexagrams 23 and 17

blahrbewchy

visitor
Reaction score
I received these two hexagrams in response to some very serious questions I asked the I Ching concerning basic necessity and survival. To me the oracle seems very ominous and difficult to accept. Is there anything positive to be taken from these answers?
I have recently been going through some very tight times financially. I asked the Oracle how I could manage to get enough money to pull myself through the next little while, and was devestated to receive hexagram 23 - collapse. The hexagram correctly saw that I was experiencing powerful pressure from external materialistic forces, but instead of offering a solution, advised taking no action whatsoever. It suggested that I should go nowhere and do nothing. Perhaps this means simply that I need to be careful in my spending. That troubled me, but not nearly as much as what was implied by the moving first line. Here it is suggested that both action and inaction will cause me to fall prey to external forces. If I have read the oracle correctly, it is implying that there is nothing I can do. I am powerless to make ends meet.
Troubled by this reading, I asked the oracle what besides action or inaction could save me from the pressure of these external forces. I received hexagram 17 - following, with lines 2 and 4 moving. The hexagram suggests that I need to adapt my aspirations, goals and principles to conflict less with the goals/principles of those I interact with. In a broader, spiritual sense, it suggests that I must abandon all of my principles if I wish to approach enlightenment.
Does this mean that in order to survive, I have to conform better to the beliefs and standards of people who influence me? Do I have to fit in better? I understand that in an abstract sense, it means I need to be receptive to the principles held by others, but what about when those principles are demonstrably wrong, or absurd? The problem I am facing is immediate and materialistic. Not only that, but it is pressing and quantifiable. Dollars must be obtained, or my way of life, my basic necessities will be threatened. Furthermore, I am puzzled by the moving lines 2 and 4 in hex 17, in terms of their relevance to the question I asked.
More than anything else, I am troubled by how both hexagrams seem so applicable to my situation without offering a way out. Is there anything good I can take out of the Oracle's advice? I would appreciate any alternate perspectives or interpretations. Thanks.

yly2pg1

visitor
Reaction score
"The hexagram correctly saw that I was experiencing powerful pressure from external materialistic forces, but instead of offering a solution, advised taking no action whatsoever."

The Oracle's recommendations is in the changing lines, in your case, line 2 and line 4.

"Furthermore, I am puzzled by the moving lines 2 and 4 in hex 17, in terms of their relevance to the question I asked."

In my opinion, both the lines hints that you are overlooking something:

Line 2 is about potential help you could reach for assistance and help but overlooked. Surely someone or some measures you can count on for temporary relief?

Line 4 is about looking beyond the scope of your current financial situation. It could also mean a change in perspective in viewing your current financial situation before rushing into vicious cycle of financial turmoil.

23 indicates clearly that this is not an easy time . A short-term relief and a longer term approach is important ans essential.

yly2pg1

visitor
Reaction score
Something to add about 23 unchanging:

It could also mean stripping away old habits and thinking. Thinking out of box?

C

candid

When what stands tall and proud is lessened to the benefit of what lies below - where things are fertile - that is not always a bad thing. Trials have a way of doing this, if we are not broken by them.

Same with 17.2, losing what is great in favor of what is small. The real question might be, what is the value of the little boy? Trusting over knowing, innocence over power, smallness over greatness.

Pride gives way to inner riches. Can you rest securely in this?

blahrbewchy

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. As it turns out, I was overlooking something, and temporary relief now comes to me in the form of blind luck. So strangely, it was good advice when the oracle told me to do nothing and go nowhere.
I am no longer so worried about my short term survival needs as i was only a few days ago. The external material pressures are still there, but they are not threatening to devour me the way they seemed to be.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).