...life can be translucent

Menu

Blog post: Could Stripping Away be painless?

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Hexagram 23 is called Stripping Away.*The old character shows a knife, and a less-clear component*that might be a well winch or a bag for filtering wine, separating the wine from the dregs. As LiSe*shows, that blends into the meaning of the whole. But the knife component is very clear – in etymology and in experience.
When you receive Hexagram 23, something is coming ‘under the knife’. The traditional version of the etymology says the knife is carving, cutting away what is not required. That’s often the lived experience of the hexagram: something outworn, something no longer of use, is cut away. The difficult part is that until the knife comes down, we might have been quite attached to our plans/ideas/self-image/social position/security/relationship… etc. The ‘stripping away’ might feel something like being skinned alive.
Living through this hexagram can be excruciating – but it isn’t necessarily so. This depends on two things – scale, that I wrote about the other day, and also on the degree of attachment. That’s the message of the Image –
‘Mountain rests on the earth. Stripping Away.
The heights are generous, and there are tranquil homes below.’
That isn’t an Image of pain and loss, but of kindness, generosity and peace. Mountains don’t develop neurotic attachments to ‘their’ minerals, and so the valley below is well-nourished.
Funnily enough, that mysterious ‘wine-bag’ part of the hexagram name is also a loan for three characters meaning*the place at the foot of a mountain*(see Harmen Mesker,*Cutting Through Hexagram 23). Such a place might be in the mountain’s rain-shadow, arid and deprived, but it could also be – on the other side of the mountain – particularly moist and cool. I think the Image authors were imagining a fertile, sheltered valley.
How interesting that of*all the Image texts in the book, this is the only one with no explicit human protagonist: no noble one, no ancient kings. Of course ‘heights’*implies upper social strata, but it literally only means ‘above’, the opposite of ‘below’. The human element – that part that can say ‘this is mine!‘ –*is stripped back and disappears into the landscape.
Tradition says that the mountain rests on the earth like a government rests on the people, and this hexagram portrays a bad government that has eroded its foundations, exhausted popular support and is on the verge of collapse. It needs to practise generosity, because the society’s very structure is being pulled apart. (‘Pulling apart’ is Minford‘s name for the hexagram in his Part I, ‘Book of Wisdom’.)
It’s not about propping up the status quo with a pre-election tax cut, though: this scene, the mountains above the valley, shows that erosion is a natural constant: it’s just what happens.*If we could*participate in a spirit of generosity – if we were a little more like mountains, a little less attached – Hexagram 23 might be painless.

bamboo

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful expose of an often heart-sinking Yi response.
Reminds me of a quote by Andrew Wyeth:
~ " I prefer the winter and the fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape, the loneliness of it- the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it- the whole story does not show-"

There is a certain kind of loneliness in the image of a Mountain as well, but oh yes, such generosity - in the utter stillness of being ..and pure, patient detached presence.
~"I go the hills when my heart is lonely..I know I will hear what I heard before. My heart will be blessed with the sound of music. And I will sing once more. "

Lovely new website, btw! Have not visited in quite a while

V

veavea

Thanks - I received 23 uc and also 23.2 > 4 today. A useful post! And no, it is not painful, as long as you are prepared to relinquish an illusory attachment...?! :)

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind responses!

This is one of those 'the universe has a sense of humour' moments, because this is not a very recent blog post, and it should've been posted over here by the automatic blog-to-forum posting thingy ages ago. Maybe it was. But the automatic thingy decided in its wisdom to post it here on the day when I switched to the new website design - and everything in the garden was lovely - until the server crumbled under the new load and everything went entirely to pot for the next 48 hours, while I threw money, desperation and a couple of 16 hour days at it as I struggled to put things back together.

Things seem to be running OK now, and I am settling down to finish up some necessary tweaks before I can have that holiday - and I look at the forum and see my own question about whether Stripping Away can be painless...

:rofl:

charly

visitor
Reaction score
Lovely new website, btw! Have not visited in quite a while
Hi, Barbara:

Lovely new website indeed, although I miss some old friends.
I was thinking on you and logged in. Sincronicity, believe it or not!

Much time wondering what happened to you. Please, came back.

All the best,

Charly

charly

visitor
Reaction score
... Things seem to be running OK now, and I am settling down to finish up some necessary tweaks before I can have that holiday - and I look at the forum and see my own question about whether Stripping Away can be painless...:rofl:
Hi, Hilary:

Congratulations! Things will run smoothly.

Things, such as programs, have their own lives, which means their own loves, hates and whims. Sometimes they are intelligent and can appreciate the opportunity for some interventions.

Maybe that's what happened here.

Best regards,

Charly

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).