...life can be translucent

Menu

The original two-pane reading is back (from the blog)

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Short version: here it is, with my apologies. (I didn’t know anyone still used it!)
Backstory:
A few years*ago I commissioned Ewald Berkers*(creator of the I Ching Community’s indispensable hexagram search) to make us a new online I Ching.
I did so because the old reading, the one in two frames, created a lot of confusion for beginners. It always shows two hexagrams even when you’ve only cast one, so people get*the impression that*that an unchanging hexagram is*‘casting the same hexagram twice’. And it displays*the complete changing line texts of both hexagrams, leaving newcomers far from sure what’s actually part of their answer.
The new reading*cleared up the confusion: an unchanging hexagram just appears as one hexagram, and only the relevant text is displayed. Also, since it casts one line at a time and displays the answer on a new page, it’s just a little slower to use, which in my book is a Good Thing. (And it*can be saved and exported to pdf and linked to…)
I left the old frames reading around in case anyone wanted to use it, though I didn’t really expect anyone would. And then when I created the redesigned site, I called on Ewald again to make his reading script work with it (as a WordPress plugin)… and pretty much forgot the two-pane*reading still existed.
Well… I live and learn…
I’ve already had about 20 requests to put the old reading back. So, in response to popular demand, here it is. Restyled a little*to match the new site, and with the links corrected, but otherwise unchanged.
I’ve included a link to this on the main free reading page*– tucked away at the bottom, under the ‘introduction for beginners’.

buzzurro

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Also, since it casts one line at a time and displays the answer on a new page, it’s just a little slower to use, which in my book is a Good Thing.
I DEFINITELY DO AGREE ON THIS! :bows:

Sorry for shouting, I'm a real buzzurro indeed! :eek:
But, I mean, I like online readings to reproduce as faithfully as possible the real-world methods of casting - coins, yarrow, beads or whatever...
Of course the software can do this behind the scene, and only require one click to trigger the whole operation, but I prefer to interact more, I like to see the hexagram grow up line by line with each click (or even one line every three clicks, when it comes to yarrow!)

Well, anyway, it's good to have all the options available.
But I find the new free reading to be much better than the old one, it only needs to highlight changing lines in the primary hex, that's the only glitch I found in it.

Also, maybe (maybe!) there could be a way to display the results in a responsive fashion, showing the two hexagram texts side by side, similar to the old free reading, when the screen resolution of the client is wide enough.

Last edited:

precision grace

visitor
Reaction score
Excellent, I am so happy. But I am also really happy to have discovered the new casting which results in a much handier reading with changing lines highlighted and links to forums there etc. If only there was a way to combine the the one clickiness with the resulting reading goodness..

Speaking of pipe dreams, it would be so useful to me to have a resulting reading with all the most popular translations to compare the lines. I usually read Hilary/Lise/Karcher/Bradford and Legge. Maybe that's what the resonance journal does, but I can't really cope with that level of commitment :blush:

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of pipe dreams, it would be so useful to me to have a resulting reading with all the most popular translations to compare the lines.

I'd imagine copyright issues would get in the way of that. Resonance Journal does have Hilary's and LiSe's books built into it - I'm guessing LiSe gave permission.

What do you mean by "level of commitment"? Did you download the trial and have trouble with something in particular? Could someone help? There's the helpdesk, as well as the user forum...maybe one of us who have been using the program for a while could answer a question.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).