...life can be translucent

Menu

What the iching does with a quirky question -- body shaming, confidence, weight

Reaction score
Gabourey Sidibe

‘When I was 21 or 22 I just decided that life wasn’t worth living if I wasn’t happy with myself so I just took all the steps that I could to figure out how to love myself and become confident,’ she said in 2012 at the Women In Entertainment Symposium.

http://www.skinnyvscurvy.com/category/gabourey-sidibe
(there's the article)

I asked, "what makes this quotation inspiring to me?"

I received : 28.3 to 47

Then I said, "clarify"

47: a person oppressed. GS speaks of being oppressed, when insults about her weight are hurled at her.
28. 3 : there's an excess (like her weight) and a beam is loose in carrying it and so she is oppressed.

This presents the situation.

Clarify:

27u nourishment! The question is about how a woman deals with being overweight in our body-shaming society. So, nourishment applies.
The judgment says: " With firm correctness there will be good fortune. We must look at what we are seeking to nourish, and by the exercise of our thoughts seek for the proper aliment."

I take that as: it's inspiring that GS raises for society the question, what are you seeking to nourish? Shame or confidence? Her commitment to loving herself, and being happy with herself, demonstrate that she nourishes what is proper.

D

diamanda

what makes this quotation inspiring to me? 28.3 to 47
Clarify: 27u nourishment

Perhaps it should inspire all overweight people to lose weight. Being as overweight as she is, is very dangerous for one's health. Taunting and insulting is of course unacceptable - but so is such extreme weight, and flaunting it as if "it's ok", setting a bad example to overweight youngsters. It's not as if she's got a couple of love-handles and then steps out bravely in a bikini. People with such a serious weight problem should mind their nourishment (27) otherwise they'll buckle (28.3>47). Surely she can't "love herself" much in reality, since she completely disregards her own health. Then again, as she says herself in the article, she's always been an arrogant snob - perhaps this further explains things.

Reaction score
I see what you mean, tho I take it differently. In the context of her being an immensely talented actress , who rose from poverty to her artistic accomplishments, and has had to fight sexist beauty standards in Hollywood, I see her statements in a different way. She is standing up for the confidence and courage to be oneself. I don't think she's claiming to be exempt from ill health. If it were only about her body, I would agree with you perhaps. I see it as about self confidence.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).