...life can be translucent

Menu

Can find them!!

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was looking for two of my threads from earlier this year and searched every which way I could think of. All that comes up (even when searching for all my posts) are the two threads I started in august and just one that I contributed to otherwise in August.
Where did they go? It is no longer possible to search beyond the past month?
Many thanks for any help you can provide :)
Flashlight (apparently, without a bulb :) )

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Flashlight (apparently, without a bulb )

:rofl:

Hilary explained in this post -

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?23102-Clarity-redesign&p=228437#post228437

(Plus more information in the rest of the thread.)

The search features on this page work pretty well:

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/site-search/#gsc.tab=0

The second one there is an embedded version of Google site search. If you remember anything about your threads (words or phrases), you could search for those. Maybe even search for "flashlight" - guessing there's not a ton of threads where people discussed normal flashlights, so you might find your own user name with decent frequency.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
The way to get to that search page without a link is to hover over the magnifying glass on the right-hand-side of the menu (in the banner at the top of each page), and then click on "Site search".

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks ladies... but...
The site search does not include the forums, and that's where my two threads would be.
The "search everything" Google feature is inactive or :brickwall: I'm being really inept here.
Tough to follow up on posts (as folks often underscore is important) if one can't find the effing threads!

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I just tried the "search everything" Google widget (using "flashlight" as the search term) and got 10 pages of results including forum threads.

The widget does take a tiny bit of time to load - it's a small lag behind the rest of the page - but it's such a small lag, at least for me, that by the time I get around to wondering if it's really there, it appears. (So in other words that's probably not the problem you're having...)

Yes, it would be nice to have the usual post history, but I have great sympathy with not wanting to corrupt the site entirely and lose archives. (I believe that's often Hilary's concern with things like this.)

To narrow results down a bit (to this year), you could enter "flashlight 2016" as the search terms. That gave me 5 pages of results.

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
Lisa, I must be very dense -- or Firefox is not compatible. On this page http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/site-search/#gsc.tab=0, when I go to the second part of the page, where one can search everything supposedly, there is no search bar, no active link. Do I have to leave Clarity and go to Google?? Where were you able to input your search??
Argh...

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
You are not dense; I just don't know what the problem is. :( I use Firefox, too, and it works for me.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing - you're not seeing the part in the red box here?

29069191030_2bb62649fe_z.jpg

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Oh - you could use regular Google. Type the following into the search box:

site:www.onlineclarity.co.uk search terms

For some reason, though, the results list on regular Google is not identical with the list from the embedded Google widget.

For example, if you do this search at Google.com -

site:www.onlineclarity.co.uk flashlight 2016

- you get a lot more results labelled "Activity Stream," especially on the first page. Ignore all of those.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
copied from your current thread

I went to 'community'
then to 'search'
then 'search forums' which is a total misnomer as it won't find anything
so then went to bottom left of page 'site search' and just put in 'flashlight'

got all your threads...this is page two

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/site-...ght&gsc.page=2

is the thread you want there

is this it ?

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/frien...ms-at-my-house

The 'search forum' doesn't work at all just tells me either 'no results' or 'contact the administrator' so the only way is to go to the left hand bottom of page 'site search' and don't even bother with 'forum search' .

I wish we could still find threads by going to 'profile' as I used that a lot but if it means the forum getting wrecked we will have to use another way I guess.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
oh bugger links didn't transfer will do it again

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I don't understand any of this.

Fed up with this now first box on site search doesn't work at all so went to 'search everything'

Do you mean the "Search pages and blog posts" doesn't work? The topmost of the two on the screen clip above, the one without the red box around it? That one doesn't work?

I'm starting to think I'm the odd duck since everything is working for me :rofl:

it's works then it vanishes.......the link I mean

You mean links to pages that you're putting in posts? You insert links and they disappear after you submit the post? I'm befuddled - I don't think I've ever had that happen.

www.cnn.com

This link to CNN seems to be staying there.

I think I'm not understanding something.

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Flashlight, did you see the screen clip? Is it the thing in the red box that's either missing or not working for you? I want to make sure we're even talking about the same thing.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Trojina, thank you! You found the main one I was looking for. How did you do it? All my attempts failed miserably, and I'm rather a geek on stuff like this....

I did it like I said here...tab by tab

I went to 'community'
then to 'search'
then 'search forums' which is a total misnomer as it won't find anything
so then went to bottom left of page 'site search' and just put in 'flashlight'

'site search' is right at the bottom of the page left hand side.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Do you mean the "Search pages and blog posts" doesn't work? The topmost of the two on the screen clip above, the one without the red box around it? That one doesn't work?

First it worked then it didn't so I just used the lower one. This stuff makes me bad tempered

You mean links to pages that you're putting in posts? You insert links and they disappear after you submit the post? I'm befuddled - I don't think I've ever had that happen.

yes I tried to link to the search results page for the top box which worked....then tried it again and it didn't. I don't mean the link disappeared I mean it just led to the wrong page

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
NEWSFLASH FLASHLIGHT

you don't actually need to go to any of those tabs I said you can just scroll to the bottom of the page on this page we are on and bottom left is 'site search' which seems to work sometimes

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
NEWSFLASH FLASHLIGHT

you don't actually need to go to any of those tabs I said you can just scroll to the bottom of the page on this page we are on and bottom left is 'site search' which seems to work sometimes

Okay, I see what you mean. In the bottom site banner, on the left, is a link to "Site search".

29072683320_58572a66e2_z.jpg

First it worked then it didn't so I just used the lower one.

I'm getting the impression you and Flashlight are saying both of the search boxes in this screen clip below intermittently fail?

29322964956_9004cc621e_z.jpg

However the particular link you use to get to that page isn't - can't be - the problem. Both links are exactly the same url. Hilary put the link in two different places, I assume, so people can use whichever they prefer or is most convenient.

If either or both of those search boxes are unreliable or intermittently don't work, then that is probably something Hilary has to fix.

I personally have not had any problems, though (knock on wood). So maybe - and I know how tiresome this is :( - it would help if you each clear your browser cache and delete your "onlineclarity" cookies, start over, and see if that makes a difference. (I have Firefox set up to never keep a cache, because I got tired of being told to clear it (not here specifically, just in general). Easier not to bother with it at all, grumblegrumble.)

yes I tried to link to the search results page for the top box which worked....then tried it again and it didn't. I don't mean the link disappeared I mean it just led to the wrong page

With any luck that was just a one-time snafu. If it keeps happening, try to take notes and post about it again...

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
Well, I don't get what you ladies have.
Whether it be 'search everything' on the search page or the "search everything" link, I just get this and no space at all to search.
Site_search_-_I_Ching_with_Clarity_-_2016-08-31_17.04.15.jpg oh great can't upload a screen capture either... In any event, I do not get a text box in which to insert a search function. The only place I can do that is the first section, which does not cover searching forums.
What navigator are you on? I use FF, latest version. Don't get it. Very frustrated... But appreciate your help a lot... We are just not dealing with the same screens and options!!!

Liselle

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Oh dear. I see what you mean, from that screen clip. You don't have a search box at all.

This is weird because I'm using the same browser you are, and I haven't had any problems.

Wild guesses I'm repeating just because it's stuff people say:

- clear your cache
- delete the "onlineclarity" cookies
- are you running any Firefox extensions or plugins? Sometimes those interfere with things, I've gathered. (I use plugins and extensions myself without trouble, but they might not be the same ones.)

I'm going to report your post with the screen clip to Hilary.

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you Lisa.
My cache clears totally upon leaving FF.
I have a few extensions that have never interfered with anything and that I need for my work.
Thought: there have been some bugs reported for websites that do not use the HTTPS standard (recommended now). Clarity is still plain old HTTP. That might be the pb, especially if one's PC is robustly protected otherwise (mine is).

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Gah. Thank you, Lisa, for drawing my attention to this.

The missing Google site search box is served directly from Google, so there may not be much I can do about it. (They don't really have tech support - which is fair enough, since it's free.)

You might be right about https versus http, Flashlight, or other security settings - there may be something in your computer or browser that says, 'Aha, this is trying to mix a snippet from Google into a plain http page! It must be trying to steal your identity! Block it now!'

I can go and Google 'site search box does not display in page', in case there's a setting I can change somewhere, and ask Vbulletin support about getting the forum search to re-index stuff. (The original search index got corrupted, but I would think it ought to be able to rebuild it now the site isn't keeling over every 3 minutes.) The forum search has always been a bit rubbish, but it should be possible to make it a bit less rubbish than that.

And meanwhile as Lisa says you may need to go straight to Google and type 'site: onlineclarity.co.uk kittens' or whatever.

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yay one can now find all one's own threads and other people's by looking at your/their profile. On mine the year does vanish after page 2, sort of fades out, but that doesn't matter since you can see the year if you open the thread.

Thanks Hilary

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Hooray.

The Mysterious Vanishing Search Box is still quite mysterious. I couldn't find any trace of anyone with the same problem, and I can't install Firefox on this computer to test - it breaks it catastrophically. (I know that sounds ridiculous, but twice bitten...)

I hazarded a wild guess that it might work better with the raw code from Google rather than inserting it via a Wordpress plugin as I had been doing. If nothing else, it should load quicker. So I've done that. (Somehow I seem to have lost the 'search' button colour in the process. Never mind... one thing at a time.)

Flashlight (or anyone else who could make it disappear) - could you clear your browser history and see if the Mysterious Disappearing Box appears?

flashlight

visitor
Reaction score
[Hilary QUOTE]Flashlight (or anyone else who could make it disappear) - could you clear your browser history and see if the Mysterious Disappearing Box appears? [/QUOTE]

My browser history clears each time I leave FF.

I *might* have found one possible reason. Ghostery blocks a snitch cookie from Google AJAX search Api for the "search everything" option. What's odd though is that that should also block the search Clarity (save for forums), and it doesn't. Doesn't block the search everything function on my own website either. Wonder if then those search functions use a different API cookie....

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).