...life can be translucent

Menu

Question about the image for 45

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
I'm wondering about the image for Gathering Together. The Judgement says it's good to gather together but the image says the superior man keeps some weapons hidden just in case. Is this saying that people gather together for mutual protection from an outside attack? Or does it mean that while it's good to be part of a group it's also important to have one's own hidden weapons in case there is an attack from a member of the group? The lines don't seem to make any reference to danger coming from within the group.

Thanks.

tuckchang

visitor
Reaction score
In hex 45, the feminine lines gather around the masculine lines. There are two masculine lines: line 5, at the king’s position, has legitimacy, while line 4 gets majority.

Tuck
www.iching123.com

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Can you give me an example of what "the superior man renews his weapons in order to meet the unforeseen" (Image according to Wilhelm) could mean in a reading? For example, let's say you asked, "I've been invited to attend a Neighborhood Watch meeting. What should be my attitude towards the people I meet there?" and you received 45uc. Would you interpret this to mean "Go with the idea of finding out more about the program, you might find being a member of this group 'renews your weapons' that is, it strengthens your mutual protection. " Or would you interpret it to mean "Meet these people but don't get too close, you may need to protect yourself from something unforeseen happening."

Wilhelm says the image, the lake over the earth about to over flow, depicts a disaster could happen and thus the image is alerting us to the danger connected with gathering together. But there's no reference to danger in the lines so I was wondering if the danger was something outside the gathering. But the more I think about it, it's the lake that is too big and causes the flooding problem so I suppose one should assume the danger here is from the group, not from outsiders.

rosada

Last edited:

tuckchang

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Rosada,

I don’t know what background of being invited to the Neighborhood Watch meeting is. I would like to share my understanding of hex 45 with you as follows:

A) This way I see 45:
The environment that 45 indicates: you live in a world of conflict. Therefore the image advises: you need to protect yourself. This is referred to all people involved (i.e. both the leader and adherent).

45 UC says: The king (line 5) arrives at the shrine (to show legitimacy). It is advantageous to meet a great lord (who can resolve the crisis). Through worshiping with a ceremonial sacrifice (the king shows respect to Heaven and his ancestors, and entertains all attendants). It is instrumental in going somewhere (i.e. doing what is intended).

B) In my opinion, the casting could be understood:
In the time of gathering together, I should attend the meeting. The attendance will create conflict which is the essence of gathering together. I should prepare for this.
In any case, I should act as 45 UN suggests: Showing I am the one who is with rightness (or right xxx), seeking assistance from someone who has crucial influence (or …..), being generously to all attendants.

C) As I engage in the interpretation of the I Ching, I must study the cause and effect of every text. Therefore my paraphrase sometimes is fixed according to the scenario of a hexagram. There does exist a conflict in the lines. While divination is concerned, usually I don’t pay too much attention to the literal meaning but its spirit. Conflict might be different opinion during discussion. Renewing weapon might mean advanced preparation for argument.

Best regards
Tuck
www.iching123.com

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
45 is about security (hence the weeping in the lines) and insurance or banking against the unforeseen.
Gotta bank that water if it's going to be held above the earth and not have it run off.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you so much for these insights!:bows::bows:
So the conflict can refer to the very act of joining the group - like one more drop of water will cause the lake to overflow the banks!

- I woke up this morning after reading all this with the thought that maybe this subject is on my mind at this time because September is when all the kids are going back to school and Gathering Together and the danger of sharing all their weird germs! Maybe 'renewing weapons' means it's time to take lots of zinc and vitamin C!

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, I agree (a bit late...) it's the size of the lake that's the potential source of risk. One for your 'I Ching Proverbs' thread: 45 suggests you have all your eggs in one basket. Which is not a bad thing, but you need to take particularly good care of the basket. Or - back to Yi's images - take good care of the earth banks that contain the reservoir, or bring your very best sacrificial animals and a clear sense of purpose to the great gathering of people.

It's good to have a neighbourhood watch group, to 'pool your resources' as a community. A shallow puddle can't be relied on to water the fields; a casual acquaintance can't be relied on to secure the community. But a shallow puddle also can't burst its banks and flood your homes. So because you have a lot of people together who are very much invested in the project, look out for emotions running high and keep your spade to hand, ready to patch up any potential breaches. Lend your supportive, responsive strength (earth) to the conversation (lake).

gene

visitor
Reaction score
Interestingly enough the I Ching often comes up with some eerily literal readings. Nevertheless, I think we need to not get too carried away with literal translations. Images in hexagrams are often concerned with how we orient ourselves throughout our life. It is a guide for a person of maturity and as such is more of a teaching than a prognosticator. That being said, we should always prepare for the unseen. It is not a simple matter of carrying weapons, but to use the teachings of the I Ching, such as in hexagram twenty where we contemplate our situation, and come to see the signs that appear before the OBVIOUS signs appear. Our weapons are our inner nature of being aware, of being responsive to our environment, and is applicable at all times, not just at the time of the reading. This requires a great maturity of the mind which most people do not have.

As far as the reading goes, it might be advisable that, when we go to the meeting, we use our best mind to see the real nature of the people involved and the situation. Is it really what it appears to be? If not, what is it's real function? Read the signs before the signs become obvious. Sun Tzu made statements to that effect. Hexagram two line one also hints at this.

Anyway...

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).