...life can be translucent

Menu

A simplificated method to built up hexagrams either unchanged or with only one changi

S

svenrus

To have for certain a hexagram with only one changing line or an unchanging hexagram use only one die (an earlier method I constructed: Here):
Throw the die six times to build up the hexagram from bottom to top, even numbers ie 2,4 and 6 being broken or Yinlines and odd numbers ie 1,3 and 5 being unbroken or Yanglines. Finally decide whether the hexagram being transformed or unchanged by throwing the die two more times and deciding thus: if those two casts gives the same number those number is the number of the changing line; if not the hexagram is unchanged.
Example:
Top: die shows five. Topline is unbroken. (-------)
Fifth: die shows five. Line 5 is unbroken. (-------)
Fourth: die shows four. Line 4 is broken. (--- ---)
Third: die shows one. Line 3 is unbroken. (-------)
Second: die shows six. Line 2 is broken. (--- ---)
Bottom: die shows one. Bottomline is unbroken. (-------)
Seventh throw: die shows 3
Eighth throw: die shows 1
Hexagram 37 is Unchanging.
OR
Seventh throw: die shows 4
Eighth throw: die shows 4
Hexagram 37 changes to hex. 13 (Fourth line being ---x--- )

Last edited:
C

cjgait

Or one could do as we do in Zhou Yi Dao and use a variation of the Nanjing method:

http://www.russellcottrell.com/virtualyarrowstalks/nanjingirules.htm

When two judgments are received we only use the one for the cast hexagram. When all the lines change (i.e. all 6s and 9s) we read the resulting hexagram, not the cast hexagram. Trying to interpret multiple lines is a modern approach to the Yi. In antiquity techniques like the Nanjing method were used to produce a single text as answer. There is iron-clad logic in that. For decades I used the modern method. But how does it clear up doubt when you get a set of texts saying: Move ahead! Stop! Move back!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).