...life can be translucent

Menu

Shau Yong. Translations ?

S

svenrus

Hi,
I've seen a lot of material about Shao Yong and works made out of his books. My question is: Has his works been translated into english and, if so, is it possible still to buy it ?

S

svenrus

Thank You cjgait ! I found one that seems good and ordered it home, yet it's not a translation of one of Shao Yongs works but seems serious detailed....

S

svenrus

Thank You ernobe, I had that home from the library in octobert 2016 and found it also to be about and not a translation of his works.

S

svenrus

The closest I came was 9 chapters from "Supreme principles governing the World" (Huang-chi ching-shih shu) in "A source book in Chinese Philosophy" translated and compiled by Wing-Tsit Chan, Princeton University Press 1973

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
This is all I have, but a search for Plum Blossom might turn up more.

Ding, Zijiang. “The Numerical Mysticism of Shao Yong and Pythagoras.” Journal of Chinese Philosophy, Vol. 32-4 (2005) 615-632.

Ryan, James A. 'Leibniz's Binary System and Shao Yong's Yijing.' Philosophy East and West, Vol. 46-1 (1996) 59-90.

Smith, Kidder. 'A Treatise on Observing Things (Kuan-wu p'ien)' Shao Yong, tr. Kidde Smith.' Source and date unknown, 3 pp.

Birdwhistell, Anne D. Transition to Neo-Confucianism: Shao Yung on Knowledge and Symbols of Reality. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1989.

Wyatt, Don Juan. Shao Yung: Champion of Philosophical Syncretism in Early Sung China. Doctoral dissertation in East Asian Languages and Civilizations, Harvard University, 1984.

S

svenrus

Thank You, I'll start the hunt; beginning in the library.

[Concerning Plum Blossom I read in a note: ".... This method, involving only mental manipulations, derives its name from the title of a corrupt late Sung (or perhaps later) text that is ascribed to but almost certainly was not written - even in part - by Shao Yung. " Note 91, p. 301, The recluse of Loyang, Don J. Watt, Cop. University of Hawai'i Press 1996. ] - but anyway, not important to the act of googling the term.....

charly

visitor
Reaction score
Hi,
I've seen a lot of material about Shao Yong and works made out of his books. My question is: Has his works been translated into english and, if so, is it possible still to buy it ?

Hi, Sved:

Why don't ask professor Tze-Ki Hon? He surely Knows.

Associate Professor of History, State University of New York at Geneseo
https://www.geneseo.edu/~hon/

Address: Department of History, SUNY-Geneseo, 1 College Circle, Geneseo, New York, 14454.
Tel: (585) 245-5749 Fax: (585) 245-5161
Email: hon@geneseo.edu
URL: http://www.geneseo.edu/~hon

Do you have his book "Yijing and Chinese Politics, The: Classical Commentary and Literati Activism"? The chapter IV is about "The Yi Jin of Zhang Zai, Sima Guang and ShaoYong".

Maybe can see some pages al Google Books:

All the best,

Charly

charly

visitor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US