...life can be translucent

Menu

Deng Ming-Dao

carl

visitor
Reaction score
Has anyone been using The Living I Ching? I'm finding it has some strong interpretations, based on getting the image right, xiang.

hunz0

visitor
Reaction score
Excellent Book By An Author Who Excells

By no means am I an expert at matters yijing (I'm even skeptical) but I find this book the best I have found. The layout is logical, the author's perception of meaning and intepretation is keen. The size and heft of the book not only exhibits the respect, esteem and importance placed on the subject but also provides the leaf size to pleasingly, artisticly and logically present the material.

Interestingly, Ming-Dao describes clever means of calculating the line value (6,7,8,9) in the yarrow stalks divination by counting the remaining stalks and dividing by four. A wonderful book!

I own every book Den Ming-Dao has authored so I may be partial.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
I am unfamiliar with Deng Ming-Dao and had to look.

http://onlineclarity.co.uk/answers/2006/03/09/changing-places-divination/
Deng Ming Tao and divination

Ming-Dao is ambivalent about divination.

http://www.dengmingdao.com/
art philosophy and art

Ming-Dao focuses on nature to the exclusion of the human. I agree that "petty human emotions" are messy, yet a human with such emotion is the artist, and fellow humans with such emotions are its viewers and patrons. Humanity isn't "out of the frame".

hunz0

visitor
Reaction score
Focusing on nature is exclusively a human act. Creating art is exclusively a human act. Patronizing art is exclusively human. Yijing divination, in all its methods, is also exclusively human and even the oracle can exude some ambivalence.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Focusing on nature is exclusively a human act. Creating art is exclusively a human act. Patronizing art is exclusively human. Yijing divination, in all its methods, is also exclusively human and even the oracle can exude some ambivalence.

Where does nature focus? Bird feathers are art. And plants, animals, and wind and water and rocks and soil respond with grace. The Yijing is the Way of the Dao.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
http://www.livingiching.com/hexagrams

Now this is unfortunate. Most of the hexagrams on this page are misdrawn, including 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 20, 21, 23, 25, 27, 28, 31, 32, . . . I sent a note, but if anyone knows him, please let him know about this. Could be no more than bad programming.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
I received a response from the business that maintains the site, so I expect the problem will be fixed.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
The hexagram display is now fixed, and Deng Ming-Dao's basic text accessible.

Deng Ming-Dao:

Waiting in a bloody cave. Get out!

Hatcher:

Waiting in blood
Get out of the pit

Wilhelm:

Waiting in blood.
Get out of the pit.

Deng Ming-Dao:

Entering into a cave and finding uninvited strangers. Three people come. Honor them and in the end there will be good fortune.

Hatcher:

Entering into a pit
With no invitations extended to visitors, three people arrive
To attend to them will end in good fortune

Wilhelm:

One falls into the pit.
Three uninvited guests arrive.
Honor them, and in the end there will be good fortune.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).