見 群 龍
jian4 qun2 long2
旡 首 吉
wu2 shou3 ji2

Confucius

lindsay

visitor
Reaction score
Confucius, I'm not sure where you're headed with this "canonical" text, but I've been holding my breath since late September for closure on your series of hexagram tag etymologies. What happened to hexagrams 63 and 64? I'm starting to feel a little dizzy from lack of oxygen. It would be great if you would post them before my whole body turns blue!

Lindsay

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
lindsay said:
I'm starting to feel a little dizzy from lack of oxygen. It would be great if you would post them before my whole body turns blue!

Nah, don't worry Lindsay, that ain't lack of oxigen, is gas from below. A little too heavy on the methane, methinks. Open a window. :D

I miss you man, glad to see you are still lurking around. :)

L

lindsay

visitor
Reaction score
Luis, you're such a wag! It could be methane - I've been enjoying a very rich diet lately, at least intellectually. But I'm inclined to think any lingering noxious fumes might be coming from that incense you recommended. That even made my cat choke.

Associating different smells with Yi hexagrams is an inspired idea, perhaps the most intriguing olfactory breakthrough since the invention of Smell-o-vision in 1958. I imagine walking down the street, sniffing the sweet fragrance of Hex 61, the heady aroma of Hex 44, the luscious odor of Hex 50, or the acrid smell of Hex 18. But how do hexagrams feel? Do they also have tactile qualities - heft, temperature, texture? Are some solid, some liquid, others gaseous?

Anyway, I really wish Confucius would give us the etymologies for the last two hexagrams. Here is a person who spent many weeks - with little or no encouragement, practically no feedback, almost without notice from the Forum as a whole - posting 62 etymologies at considerable effort and bother to himself. Then he stops, two hexagrams short of completion. Nobody said anything. Weeks go by. Nothing. Until finally we now have the "canonical" text of hexagram 1 in pinyin.

What does this mean? An enigma. It's enough to make me start twitching.

Lindsay

confucius

visitor
Reaction score
Point taken...

And considered...Ji Ji and Wei Ji are on the way...as it was my initial objective to download each of the 1753 pages on my work representing the basic common dénominators of 3000 years of ecclectism and 132 interpretations of the Yi...I found myself somewhat uninspired when I reached Already accross...being myself uncultured, having been exposed to far too many cultures as it is, I had taken for granted that this forum would provide a great variety of points of view to help refine still this greatest observational work of mankind, the Yi.

Realising that some are in the shadow, as myself, but still genuinely interested and involved, I will resume and ask for forgiveness for having stopped short before being Already Across...and will conclude when Not Yet Across!!!!

Fuzi

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm, you are right about our friend Confucious here. Perhaps is more interesting than frustrating that he stopped there. The Yi works in mysterious ways...

Now, I don't know if you've noticed where he lives: "Way up in the northern hemisphere"... I think we''ll get the last two hexagrams for Xmas. :D

Really Confucious, don't make grown men beg you for it. Pleeezzzz. :)

L

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
confucius said:
And considered...Ji Ji and Wei Ji are on the way...as it was my initial objective to download each of the 1753 pages on my work representing the basic common dénominators of 3000 years of ecclectism and 132 interpretations of the Yi...I found myself somewhat uninspired when I reached Already accross...being myself uncultured, having been exposed to far too many cultures as it is, I had taken for granted that this forum would provide a great variety of points of view to help refine still this greatest observational work of mankind, the Yi.

Realising that some are in the shadow, as myself, but still genuinely interested and involved, I will resume and ask for forgiveness for having stopped short before being Already Across...and will conclude when Not Yet Across!!!!

Fuzi

You must be kidding, right? I think you are flying high above our heads (at least mine). You are way too humble about the quality of your work. Take your time, I'm planning to print those etymologies once the whole canon is completed.

Well done, really.

Cheers,

Luis

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
lindsay said:
Associating different smells with Yi hexagrams is an inspired idea, perhaps the most intriguing olfactory breakthrough since the invention of Smell-o-vision in 1958. I imagine walking down the street, sniffing the sweet fragrance of Hex 61, the heady aroma of Hex 44, the luscious odor of Hex 50, or the acrid smell of Hex 18. But how do hexagrams feel? Do they also have tactile qualities - heft, temperature, texture? Are some solid, some liquid, others gaseous?

Brilliant! Thanks, Lindsay! You've just inspired me with a whole new set of Yi toons. :)

L

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).