...life can be translucent

Menu

Predicting the future = predicting stability

L

lightofreason

"..identifying how how stability is reached is often the key to predicting the future. If a situation is unstable ... you can predict the future course of events by figuring out what needs to happen to achieve stability. Understanding stability is a way of knowing where things are going" p 56 Siegfried, T., (2006) "A Beautiful Math : John Nash, Game Theory, and the Modern Quest for a Code of Nature" Joseph Henry Press

In the I Ching material the representative of stability is all in its place, both in magnitude and sequence and this is reflected in the characteristics of hexagram 63 where the focus on 'correct sequence' combined with a sense of completion does not cover so much the sense of ending but of restoration of balance that is a form of ending but we are aware of coming beginnings of imbalance etc.

Note that 63 pairs with hexagram 37 that is the more PARTICULAR form of balance but as rigid structure and so with balance comes the sense of tension release, either by being rigid (63,37) or relaxed (64,40).

What the IC+ XOR material shows is the ability to extract the 63-ness of a hexagram by XORing it with 63 and in doing so indicate the 'best path' through the hexagram to restoring 'balance' in the form of a structure that elicits tension release and so a feeling of return to equilibrium.

Thus, using questions to get a representation of a situation, XORing the result with 63 will give a description of the path to follow/impose to achieve balance, to restore equilibrium.

Thus if a situation is all yang, hex 01, by XORing with 63 we get 64 and its focus on avoiding closure, on making the occasional 'error' and so return to the 'everyday' that includes small errors, getting one's tail wet, as part of everyday life; the extremes of yang have been brought back down to earth.

From the other side of the coin, if the situation is all yin, hex 02, then XORing with 63 gives us 63, indicating the restoration of balance is through the interlacing of yin with yang, to form a 'correct sequence' and so correct order; in other words being too 'layed back', too focused on potentials is an extreme state and in need of actualisation.

Any question to the IC is about a situation that indicates some instability. BY identifying the best-fit hexagram through questions (more consistant than coin tosses etc) and then XORing with 63 we get an indication of how to restore balance through rigid structure.

The PAIRS of 63,37 and 64,40 cover the overall focus on tension release through relaxing of structure or imposing of structure. as 37 can be too rigid, so 40 can be too relaxed (the sudden relaxation of everything as compared to 64 retaining some degree of 'order' in its relaxation)

XORing with each of this will give you a range of analogies covering these structure issues, and so balance restoring, for any hexagram, but with the best fit of the four being 63 (and so its association with the 'natural' nature of line positions) when viewed from a (vertical) hierarchic perspective as compared to a flat, aka nested, hierarchic perspective.

Chris.

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
lightofreason said:
"..identifying how how stability is reached is often the key to predicting the future. If a situation is unstable ... you can predict the future course of events by figuring out what needs to happen to achieve stability. Understanding stability is a way of knowing where things are going" p 56 Siegfried, T., (2006) "A Beautiful Math : John Nash, Game Theory, and the Modern Quest for a Code of Nature" Joseph Henry Press

Well, I don't know exactly what to do with the rest of the post (A.D.D. is stronger in the mornings for me...) but that quote is priceless and really clicks with the way I interpret the Yi.

L

L

lightofreason

sparhawk said:
Well, I don't know exactly what to do with the rest of the post (A.D.D. is stronger in the mornings for me...) ... L

what is it that you DONT understand about XOR-ing and the use of hex 63?

As XORing 27 with any hexagram describes the 'mud' from which the hexagram is made (by analogy to another hexagram), so XORing 63 show the 'correct' path through a situation interpreted as 'unstable' to achieve stability.

Any hexagram can represent a stable/unstable situation but when we approach the IC it is from a situation we consider unstable and that is represented by some hexagram. To stabilise things, XOR the hexagram with 63 to get a description of the general, 'correct' path to take to establish stability.... as covered in the examples I gave of XORing 01 and 02 with 63.

The issue of course is on getting the 'best fit' interpretation of the situation - not guaranteed using random/miraculous methods and so the danger of the path to stability in fact being one to increase the instability!

Chris.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).