Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: hexagram 47 lines 3 and 5 becoming 32

Default hexagram 47 lines 3 and 5 becoming 32

can any one help with this...i asked the I Ching if a friend i had not seen for a while would contact me soon...this is the answer i received...any thoughts on this?

In the short term no, in the longer term yes.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkler
    can any one help with this...i asked the I Ching if a friend i had not seen for a while would contact me soon...this is the answer i received...47.3.5>32
    47.3.5>32: the constraint you're feeling continues. (The answer to your question is 'no'.)

Keep in touch and let us know how this turns out. I'm interested.

thanks for both your replies...interesting that willowfox says no for now but yes in the long term and that dobro simply says no...i suppose it really highlights the amount of subjectivity involved in interpreting the I Ching...i suppose it also depends on the definition of "soon"...i must admit, i did not find line 2 very promising...but line 5 was more ambiguous, perhaps leaning more to the positive side...love the image of a man with purple knee bands!...would be grateful to hear any more thoughts you have on this...many thanks, sparkler

Quote Originally Posted by sparkler
    thanks for both your replies...interesting that willowfox says no for now but yes in the long term and that dobro simply says no...i suppose it really highlights the amount of subjectivity involved in interpreting the I Ching...i suppose it also depends on the definition of "soon"...i must admit, i did not find line 2 very promising...but line 5 was more ambiguous, perhaps leaning more to the positive side...love the image of a man with purple knee bands!...would be grateful to hear any more thoughts you have on this...many thanks, sparkler
    I said 'no' because you asked 'soon'.

One thing that was interesting to me was that Willowfox didn't do what she usually does, which is to concentrate on the individual active lines (a standard pattern on this page is for her to concentrate on the individual lines and for me to look at the global picture). Okay, I'll look at the individual lines you drew, 47.3 and 47.5.

47.3 talks about hard, painful oppression and not seeing your inner support. In the context of the question you asked, that suggests to me that your concern about this other person is leading you to ignore a very real and important support you have 'inside the circle' - either a person who is close to you in some way, or more likely, your own inner self. (Your friend isn't as important to you and your life as you think, in other words.)

47.5 talks about being shamed or humiliated by authority in some way, about how this oppression gradually lifts, and how the release is helped by some sort of sacrifice on your part. In the context of the question you asked, this suggests to me that you're somehow letting down your standards on this issue, but that the oppression associated with this will start to lift as soon as you're willing to let it go.

And again, on the macro level, 47>32 looks like 'the feeling of confinement and oppression continues', which is why I thought the friend wouldn't contact you soon.

[QUOTE=sparkler]i must admit, i did not find line 2 very promising...but line 5 was more ambiguous, perhaps leaning more to the positive side...QUOTE]

By the way, you drew 47.3 and 47.5, not 47.2, right?

010110 -> 011100

(1) Psychologically, you are trapped [47]. You can't hold your feeling longer that prompt you to seek a way out to "meet" your friend (in whatever form it could be).

(2) But at this moment, situation is rather difficult to fulfill your wish. You will feel like handicapped and helpless [47.5]. A proper way out of this emotional trap is to adjust and transcend your outlook. You are not gauranteed to meet your friend, but a release out of this situation may take the form of a symbolic salvation arising from wisdom and peace.

"can any one help with this...i asked the I Ching if a friend i had not seen for a while would contact me soon...this is the answer i received...any thoughts on this?"

What is your meaning of soon? My meaning of soon is in the next 7- 10 days. Also, when did you last see/hear from this friend? Was it back around the middle of November? 5 and a half weeks ago? If it was then I would think that your friend may contact you around the middle of February.

I did not write up about Hex 47.3,5 simply because they are both negative in this context , so, suggesting to me that in the short term "soon" there would be no contact.

But hex 32 is a different story, leading to the idea that after sometime, contact will be made. Hex 32 means long lasting, long enduring, so in this case, patience is required for a fairly long wait but overall it is a positive sign that eventually contact will be made. Contact ended a while back but a new contact from the friend will come again. Perhaps the friend is very busy or whatever, so Sparkler must consider that fact, all she can do at the moment is not to give up hope but to wait patiently for that call.

"One thing that was interesting to me was that Willowfox didn't do what she usually does, which is to concentrate on the individual active lines"

I thought that it was completely unnecessary to analyse (hex 47) lines 3 and 5 in this yes or no question. Sparkler asked a simple question requiring a simple answer, both lines are negative so no need to go any further. But I would suspect that there is an issue playing on Sparkler's mind that is making her impatient, indecisive and in need of moral support, thus her wanting to talk with friends.

Well Sparkler it will be very interesting to see how this plays out. I am inclined to interpret the hexagrams as dobro did, seeing 32 as meaning the oppression endures. But of course your question was will you hear from the friend "soon" so this could be simply saying for the duration of "soon" you will not hear - and who knows how long "soon" is? Hey when/if your friend does contact you I guess we could assume it will be after "soon" has expired, so let us know, if nothing else at least we'll learn what the definition of soon is. Anyway, Willowfox sees "Duration" as meaning the friendship endures and survives and although I usually try to phrase questions in a way as to eliminate loop holes we all know that often the iChing will draw our attention to something outside our stated request, so this could be encouragement.
    The curious line to me here is 47.5. "Cutting off nose and feet" is symbolized by the difficult third and fourth lines. It suggests the usual approaches you and your friend use to reach each other have been cut off. I wonder if there is a drastic problem than just estranged feelings. Perhaps lost phone numbers? "Joy comes softly" certainly is encouraging. "Offerings and sacrifices" , I wonder if you don't hear from your friend "soon" if you should "offer" to make the first move and call?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast