...life can be translucent

Menu

Cejudesc's new post signature - all ideas considered

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, roll up roll up, suggestions needed for cejudesc's new post signature.

At present it is: "What do I know? (Plus variations on this theme)

Let's have some Brainstorming....

I'll get the ball rolling with:

"Wisdom consists of the anticipation of consequences." - Norman Cousins.

Ok it's not the most exciting but what do I know? :D

Topal

cejudesc

visitor
Reaction score
Again.. now more explicit...

you are assuming this expression is nothing else but a "signature". It isn't.

But nice exercise, anyway

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Again.. now more explicit...

you are assuming this expression is nothing else but a "signature". It isn't.

But nice exercise, anyway

Well, hold on a second. I never said it was nothing else but a signature. (I could have given that impression though I'll admit) But I understand it is an expression of who you are, and want you would like to convey. Perhaps it is even a little spark of your essence?

So, it is even more important that you don't illicit the opposite of what you wish. But hey, if you want to keep it I guess I could get used to it - I think. :eek:

Topal

Last edited:

cejudesc

visitor
Reaction score
It isn't an expression of who I am... it doens't imply any attempt to convey anything to others... and absolutely nothing to do with my essence.

And I'm relive you can live with the fact that others can go with their own ways. let's hope so

Last edited:

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
It isn't an expression of who I am... it doens't imply any attempt to convey anithing to others... and absolutely nothing to do with my essence.

And I'm relive you can live with the fact that others can go with their own ways. let's hope so

When you post to a Forum, you are, by default conveying something of yourself. And so far, from your signature, the fact you chose that expression says something about you whether you like it or not.

I also find it very hard to believe that you are not wishing to convey something with that usage. If there is no connection - or rather no attempt to convey anything - why not use: "A Ferret in slippers skips over the Kettle"? it comes to the same thing.

In a forum - at least this kind of forum - there are certain modes of conduct which mean you think of others - preferably before yourself. So, your technicalisms and any other formula you/we wish to employ may give us satisfaction, but if folks become irritated with it regardless of the intent, then "letting others go their own way" must sometimes have limits.

But again, as I said before if you wish to keep your technicalism please do so. We'll survive...:D

Topal

Last edited:

cejudesc

visitor
Reaction score
I agree about "When you post to a Forum, you are, by default conveying something of yourself. And so far, from your signature, the fact you chose that expression says something about you whether you like it or not", but the tricky part is:

MY USE OF THAT EXPRESSION IS NOT AS SIGNATURE (maybe with capitals you can read this); If this expression is a signature, then it would be used to end every post; isn't?

The use of that expression is not to convey anything to others; is a tecnicality to my own person and my work; and has nothing to do with promote lack of ego (ego is PART of human being.. no ego ==> not human being)

If you need that I use a signature (a "little spark" of what I think is my essence) that would be: "somos lo que hacemos para dejar de ser lo que somos" (I hope Luis can help me with this translation into English)

Now, as you said: if you get irritated, that is inside you; and that would be your work to find out what's inside you that make you resonate with irritation.

Otherwise, If I has broke any "mode of conduct" in this forum, please teach me. What Clarity's rule I broke whit that expression?, please quote that rule for me.

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Cejudesc,

Don't pay much attention or take us too seriously. We like to pull each other's legs, once in a while. I do most of that, by the way... (Of course, I'm very charming and handsome and that helps a lot...) :rofl:

If you need that I use a signature (a "little spark" of what I think is my essence) that would be: "somos lo que hacemos para dejar de ser lo que somos" (I hope Luis can help me with this translation into English)

Now, I would translate what you said as:

We are that which we do in order to cease being what we are.​

Geeze, that was a tricky saying to translate... Although I understood it in Spanish, of course, I'm not sure it will make sense in English.

L

cejudesc

visitor
Reaction score
Yes... tricky one to translate, charm and gentle knight. Thanks a lot.

That quote is from Eduardo Galeano. I guess that name is familiar to you, isn't?

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Yes... tricky one to translate, charm and gentle knight. Thanks a lot.

That quote is from Eduardo Galeano. I guess that name is familiar to you, isn't?

Of course, how could I not know him? He is my "paisano"... :D

L

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I agree about "When you post to a Forum, you are, by default conveying something of yourself. And so far, from your signature, the fact you chose that expression says something about you whether you like it or not", but the tricky part is:

MY USE OF THAT EXPRESSION IS NOT AS SIGNATURE (maybe with capitals you can read this); If this expression is a signature, then it would be used to end every post; isn't?

Hmm. Capitals is still difficult. I think maybe you're going to have to keep telling me :D

How about "catch phrase"? Or "dictum"? Look at all the times you use it - it must have some connection to the enigmatic Cejudesc:

“This is what one would say... but what do I know anyway?”

“…a crash... a conflict... the breakdown of a relation....
but what do I know?”

“One would say: "a complete conflict". You'll get what you are seeing you'll get. But, what do I know?”

“…But that won't be a mayor lost in the long run.”
”One would say this, but what do I know?”

“…or do you chose to be stocked, sitting under a dead tree? Your call.
This is what I would say, but what do I know anyway?”

“What to do? 23... very clear
But what do I Know?”

There are many more but you get the idea...Seems like a blend of signature and catchphrase to me....

The use of that expression is not to convey anything to others; is a tecnicality to my own person and my work; and has nothing to do with promote lack of ego (ego is PART of human being.. no ego ==> not human being)

Again when you enter the forum you have the potential not to be JUST YOU. I think this is a network where you think of others and how your "technicalities" can have effects. Therefore, you have a respsonsibility not just for your "own person and work" but to how that relates to others in subtle ways.

Sure, ego is a part of the human being. In fact, I'd say it makes up the whole of the human being for most of us. Question is, how much does it's hunger for self-importance interfere with what could be called "spiritual progress"?

Now, as you said: if you get irritated, that is inside you; and that would be your work to find out what's inside you that make you resonate with irritation.

Otherwise, If I has broke any "mode of conduct" in this forum, please teach me. What Clarity's rule I broke whit that expression?, please quote that rule for me.

I know it's inconsequential but nevertheless, it is a good opportunity to see how you tick , why you use such a sig- sorry - catchphrase. Of course, my irritation is there to explore certainly. I have already stated why it irritates me but I'm quite sure I have lots of work to do in many areas of my life. So, thank you for employing a thoroughly irritating catchphrase to highlight that fact! :rofl:

:) I didn't mention anything about rules. And I'm not in the position to teach anyone anything. The same goes for all of us right? And the signature you came up with is very interesting thank you!

But what do I know? :D

Topal

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Cejudesc,

Don't pay much attention or take us too seriously. We like to pull each other's legs, once in a while. I do most of that, by the way... (Of course, I'm very charming and handsome and that helps a lot...) :rofl:

Now, I would translate what you said as:

We are that which we do in order to cease being what we are.​

Geeze, that was a tricky saying to translate... Although I understood it in Spanish, of course, I'm not sure it will make sense in English.

L

It's a charming and handsome signature!

Topal

cejudesc

visitor
Reaction score
There are many more but you get the idea...Seems like a blend of signature and catchphrase to me....
A signature (an expression of the essense, the convey of who I am or what I want... a catchtphrase or whatever you want to call it) is used everytime. Until now, I've posted 38 times... and that expression is used in less than 50% of them. Does that fact means anything to you? I guess no; you just don't want to take in mind other that your own perception and subjective interpretation.

Therefore, you have a respsonsibility not just for your "own person and work" but to how that relates to others in subtle ways.
How can I be responsible for your own inner processes, ideas, reactions?

Sure, ego is a part of the human being. In fact, I'd say it makes up the whole of the human being for most of us. Question is, how much does it's hunger for self-importance interfere with what could be called "spiritual progress"?
Again... you are the one who chose to interpret this has anything to do with "spiritual progress", I don't.

So, thank you for employing a thoroughly irritating catchphrase to highlight that fact!
Well. even if this can be an unexpected effect... the fact is I don't use that expression TO higlight anything about you.

I didn't mention anything about rules. And I'm not in the position to teach anyone anything.
Oh.. again you deny your own textual words. Let me remind a little bit

In a forum - at least this kind of forum - there are certain modes of conduct which mean you think of others - preferably before yourself. So, your technicalisms and any other formula you/we wish to employ may give us satisfaction, but if folks become irritated with it regardless of the intent, then "letting others go their own way" must sometimes have limits.

laylab

visitor
Reaction score
I didn't realize that was a signature..I thought "why does this guy always say what do I know?" LOL

Hmmm.. How about some Tennyson: "Woman, if I may sit at your feet and glean your scattered Sapience"

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm.. How about some Tennyson: "Woman, if I may sit at your feet and glean your scattered Sapience"

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about Tennyson's intentions... :D

L

cejudesc

visitor
Reaction score
I didn't realize that was a signature..I thought "why does this guy always say what do I know?" LOL
For me, this (ability to question what surprise us) seems wiser than stock in saying "I know better than you what you are doing, and therefore this is a signature" :cool:

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
When you meet people in a forum, they tend to look a bit like characters from Alice in Wonderland. Simplified. We have a Mad Hatter who is always Mad, a Rabbit who is always Rabbitty, and so on. They are parts, not wholes. We try to make wholes from the other members, but we seldom can. Most of them will always stay stereotypes, in a sense, because we see only a small part.

I cannot read in Alice, because most of the characters there irritate me a bit (umm, quite a lot). I want wholes. But that is my own fault, lots of people love it. I keep trying to find the wholes behind the names in this forum. Even finding out if someone is male or female is not easy (Luis, no question at all what you are! :p). I am always very grateful for names which tell something about the owner, makes it easier to find the person behind a succession of posts. Then I can keep them more or less connected. Ten posts of Lightangel become Lightangel, Confucius is Confucius, Martin is Martin, but ten posts of adfgwhatever stay ten loose posts.

I understand Topal's irritation, but I think you should see it as a feature of a story with Mad Hatters and Rabbits. Just let the Hatters be mad, and the Rabbits run around.

LiSe

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
(Luis, no question at all what you are! )

I cross-dress on Thursdays and Saturdays... :rofl:

Just to offer a nightmarish picture... :D

L

cejudesc

visitor
Reaction score
lise

yeah... I know. I understand, wich doesn't mean I have the responsability to change my way (or keep myself in silence) to satisfy topal; right?

I apreciate your intention (or at least, what I interpret is your intention) here

RindaR

visitor
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
lise

yeah... I know. I understand, wich doesn't mean I have the responsability to change my way (or keep myself in silence) to satisfy topal; right?

I apreciate your intention (or at least, what I interpret is your intention) here

You might want to ask yourself how it's working for you....

cejudesc

visitor
Reaction score
good point rinda; this thread is improving.

I am asking myself that, actually.

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
A signature (an expression of the essense, the convey of who I am or what I want... a catchtphrase or whatever you want to call it) is used everytime. Until now, I've posted 38 times... and that expression is used in less than 50% of them. Does that fact means anything to you? I guess no; you just don't want to take in mind other that your own perception and subjective interpretation.

Cejudesc...That is why I used "catchphrase" to appease your "technical" mind. As we established, it is neither one thing or another but it IS repeated ad nauseum through enough of your posts. (I'd say that's a pretty high percentage for repeating the same phrase over and over if you're quite sure that % is correct...) In my first post I outlined the reasons why the impression given is an unfortunate one. I won't repeat that again if you think there is no basis for such reasoning. We agree to differ. No problem! :cool:

If you go back to my original post you'll see that that I'm more than willing to see that there is some subjective interpretation on my part. However, if you don't raise an issue you don't discover. This is an exploration - it is not an attack or a refusal to see. Given the data so far I think your reasoning and explanations are flawed. I see little deference to that possibility so far. That's ok too.

How can I be responsible for your own inner processes, ideas, reactions?

Jumping to assumptions again. I said nothing of the kind. Of course, we cannot be responsible for other's inner work, but we are responsible for how we communicate and what words repetitions we use. (I think you do a great job btw being as this is not your native language).

Again... you are the one who chose to interpret this has anything to do with "spiritual progress", I don't.

EVERYTHING we do is connected to spiritual progress or lack of. Why are you here? To satisfy your own selfish needs? In part, like all of us. But I would imagine you want to learn and grow as well.

Well. even if this can be an unexpected effect... the fact is I don't use that expression TO higlight anything about you.

OK. So it is unexpected. Good! So, maybe you had a blindspot? :) Then maybe both you and I can learn something from it. How are we to learn things from each other if we remain silent?

You also seem to be taking it far too personally Cejudesc...

Oh.. again you deny your own textual words. Let me remind a little bit

"In a forum - at least this kind of forum - there are certain modes of conduct which mean you think of others - preferably before yourself. So, your technicalisms and any other formula you/we wish to employ may give us satisfaction, but if folks become irritated with it regardless of the intent, then "letting others go their own way" must sometimes have limits."

Er... still no mention of rules here. And if you perceive that as teaching then ALL of us here are teachers! Students and teachers rolled into one!

Anyway, in no way do I mean this to be hurtful to you Cejudesc. I'm really happy you are here and hope you don't take my jousting to heart! Sure, I mean what I say, but I say it with a smile.

Topal

cejudesc

visitor
Reaction score
topal

yeah yeah... be happy (oh, you are since you are smiling, irritated ad nauseum, but smiling, I guess)

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
lise

"Satisfy topal"???

Good God no! That's not the issue! You'd be satisfying the whole Forum! :rofl:

Just Kidding

So, can we kiss and make up now? :D

Happy Topal

Sparhawk

Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
"So, can we kiss and make up now? :D

Sure!! At what time should I pick you up? :D

Oops, sorry, forgot it wasn't about me... :rofl:

L

laylab

visitor
Reaction score
From now on that's my signature:

I know everything!

.............Now, how I create a signature?

pakua

visitor
Reaction score
Just to offer another view.... I really really like the phrase....

In fact I was almost envious, wishing I had thought of it :)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).