...life can be translucent

Menu

14 - "Big having"?

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Got 14 unchanging in relation to a question regarding work prospects as it's VERY quiet right now. Slightly worried about paying the bills...

Just wanted to ask folks about their overall impressions of this hexagram. From what I can gather this doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot of material possession but a state of "presence" or possessing integrity, honour and will that allows you to share and give which then naturally gets your own wheels turning. This means that great resources are present but pride can get in the way if you let it. Or, maybe the IC is saying don't worry it's in the bag. Dunno.

I've read Brad's work on 14 which is helpful but I feel like I'm missing something.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Topal

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
General success in whatever the question you asked was about.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I feel a sense of appreciation, gratitude even, for what you already do have in 14 unchanging might be important to cultivate. I recall often getting 14 unchanging when I really felt I was on the edge financially - hmm well i was so i didn't quite get the wealth angle. With hindsight i can see a panic at depletion attitude didn't help - if I had focused more on what i did have left and utilised that fully in a more creative way that may have helped - but i was very much loss focused at the time. Maybe theres potential you're not seeing at the moment - even though you have it.

Also, it might be possible that in order to increase in your area of work now you need to spend some money/energy on something that you may feel you can't afford - but its necessary to have a bit of faith in the old 'speculate to accumulate' motto - or something like that - either way I'd take 14 as advising no discouragement

Last edited:

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
The 'big having' is always something valuable, in my experience. Sometimes material, but more often not - more often, it's an understanding or orientation or approach to things that is the extremely valuable 'big having'.

The Yi's so flexible and has such a range of applications for its meanings that it *can* be material. So, in the end, 14 can encompass everything from a ton of money to psycho-spiritual understanding that enables you to let go of the ego and discover a new dimension of yourself. Everything from soup to nuts. Take your pick lol.

B

bruce_g

Similar to what Trojan wrote, 14 (especially when unchanging) usually comes up for me when I feel anything but rich. Quite the contrary, I'm usually feeling pretty spent out and hopeless. It reminds me of the wealth I possess already, and to utilize that wealth. Brad's "Big Domain" can also speak to moving focus beyond things and seeing the greater, which is already available.

But, to support what WF said, 14 also reassures that something great is coming - possibly from working with what you already have.

lienshan

visitor
Reaction score
Got 14 unchanging in relation to a question regarding work prospects as it's VERY quiet right now. Slightly worried about paying the bills...
Hi topal

To me 14 is to stay optimistic. 14 tells You, that You are at the moment wasting energy worrying, although You should be 100% focused on work prospects?

Jacques

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I never found 14 to indicate something great was coming ?

Careful we don't want to get Topal over excited :rofl:

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I never found 14 to indicate something great was coming ?

Careful we don't want to get Topal over excited :rofl:

Could do with some excitment now I can tell you! :p Thank you all for you help, all the responses are very useful indeed - each adding some meaning I hadn't thought of.

I'd like to think something nice is on the way, but it's probably a safer bet to assume that this is more like another Yi "scolding" in the vein of: "Come on the inner resources are there - change the attitude and things will improve" That kind of thing.

I wasn't clear on how active or passive I should be. So, I did a second consultation a moment ago as to whether I should really get some gumption into the picture here, you know, become super active in seeking more cash for my work. IC was pretty unequivocal with Hex 62 (as it has been consistently since January) with moving lines 2.4.5 and 6. I see this as saying keep to your routine and allow the inner resources / and change of attitude of 14 to let things happen naturally and don't be too ambitious. This is not a 34 moment it seems. Wonder how long this transition period is going to be...?

Thanks once again for everyone's input - I think it's more clear to me now.

Topal

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I have. Perhaps not what I would have immediately hoped for or anticipated, but something greater, or perhaps subtler.

Well, one thing's for sure, it would be very welcome however subtle it may be. :D

Topal

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
In simplest terms it's about our attitudes about wealth, and how this is what really determines the true value of things. Our so-called "economy" is not economical at all.
And look at what we've done to words like appreciation and interest - no more to do with gratitude or the hunger for experience. We're left impoverished in the midst of all this bounty because we accept what we are told about value instead of valuing and treasuring what we choose for ourselves.

L

lightofreason

14 - with/from perseverence comes a sense of direction (an ideology).

14 covers being the centre of operations, directing things and as such being 'in charge' and profiting from such.

This is proactive stuff and demands a shift from being reactive to be proactive. As a conscious, exploiting, species - if there are no problems at the moment then we create some to solve! If we have no direction then we make one of our choosing. If business is 'lite' - hustle. Find some aspect of the business not exploited. if times are hard then exploit that etc.

14 shares space with 34 where we cover the focus on invigoration, the differences are 34 is unconditional, general, 14 is conditional, particular.

Chris.

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score

Just wanted to follow up on this thread I started from June 17th for folks who responded as I think feedback is a really useful.

Well, I think you were all very accurate in what you said. There was "success" (even if it is quite modest) as soon as I changed my attitude. I carried on putting myself out there for more work but without anticipation, quietly and methodically. And when I let go of the outcome and didn't identify with it so much, - success.

The IC was saying all along just wait and don't react and run around. It is a lot about trust here and applying the principles of what is being taught. We do have to apply it and that does sometimes require a bit of trust and faith which is also part of the application I guess.

It's also to do with cycles and allowing the correct "season" for things to happen. These cycles of change can be short ( as in my case) or quite a substantial amount of time.

So, flow with the Dao, put the time in without anticipating, just doing it and letting it go, doing it letting it go and perhaps things will respond eventually.

Important lesson for me.

Now I wonder how long other things in my life are going to take? Ah yes....Letting go...:D

Topal

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).