...life can be translucent

Menu

clusters of six?

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
Okay, here's an idea that I've never thought of before, and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere either (although I'm sure some Chinese guy who's been dead for six hundred years came up with it too).

The idea: a connection between the six hexagrams, or rather the six active lines in those hexagrams, which all have the same relating hexagram. For instance:

20.1>42

61.2>42

37.3>42

25.4>42

27.5>42

3.6>42

Okay, at first glance, I don't see a lot in common with each of those lines. Do any of you see a commonality in those six lines?

I suppose I have to take into account the nature of 42 vis a vis the nature of which line is active: a first line is often way different from a third line or a fifth line, for instance - which would mean that there wouldn't be a lot in common. So, for instance 42's Increase in the context of a first line in 20's Contemplation wouldn't necessarily have anything in common with 42's Increase in the context of a fifth line in 27's Nourishment.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, here's an idea that I've never thought of before, and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere either (although I'm sure some Chinese guy who's been dead for six hundred years came up with it too).

I seem to remember discussions of this in both Ed Hacker's Handbook and Karcher. Without discussing it, I also found it useful to look at all six in getting the Gestalt for each Gua, i.e. trying to imagine an extension of meaning in each of those six directions (independently of looking at the line texts as references to their Zhi Gua).

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
I don't think I understand you. But I'd like to.

Would you mind showing me what you mean with some of the examples in the first post, the ones that have 42 as resulting hex?

noxlux

visitor
Reaction score

The idea: a connection between the six hexagrams, or rather the six active lines in those hexagrams, which all have the same relating hexagram. For instance:

20.1>42

61.2>42

37.3>42

25.4>42

27.5>42

3.6>42

Okay, at first glance, I don't see a lot in common with each of those lines. Do any of you see a commonality in those six lines?

I suppose I have to take into account the nature of 42 vis a vis the nature of which line is active: a first line is often way different from a third line or a fifth line, for instance - which would mean that there wouldn't be a lot in common. So, for instance 42's Increase in the context of a first line in 20's Contemplation wouldn't necessarily have anything in common with 42's Increase in the context of a fifth line in 27's Nourishment.

Hi,

while I have not explored the particular hexagram or lines you are pointing towards I recently had a breakthrough in my understanding of how the Yi works (at least I think so - it hasnt yet stood the test of time)

Given my hypothesis the thing is that the pair 41-42 will express a dimension of experience and this particular dimension of experience will be enriched if you compare it with the dimensions of experience as expressed by the pairs of hexagrams
19-20, 61-62, 37-38, 25-26, 27-28, 3-4.

I can't claim this to be an original idea - i got it from Karcher. At least I think that is what he means.

gottarun
Noxlux

charly

visitor
Reaction score
Using a grid like this, maybe simplified, can help to better see relations.
13dab_hizashi_open2_grid.jpg
Charly

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
Hi,

while I have not explored the particular hexagram or lines you are pointing towards I recently had a breakthrough in my understanding of how the Yi works (at least I think so - it hasnt yet stood the test of time)

Given my hypothesis the thing is that the pair 41-42 will express a dimension of experience and this particular dimension of experience will be enriched if you compare it with the dimensions of experience as expressed by the pairs of hexagrams
19-20, 61-62, 37-38, 25-26, 27-28, 3-4.

I can't claim this to be an original idea - i got it from Karcher. At least I think that is what he means.

gottarun
Noxlux

Yes, every hexagram has its twin in the background always, and they share a continuum or a theme.

dobro p

visitor
Reaction score
Charly

Charly, I see the Yi as a matrix of meanings expressed in words, not a matrix of meanings expressed geometrically or mathematically. I think the mathematical possibilities inherent in the hexagrams and lines are not an intrinsic part of the meaning of the Yi, except for very basic stuff like common meanings that attach to first lines, second lines, top lines, etc.

noxlux

visitor
Reaction score
Charly

would you care to explain the grid? are the nodes hexagrams? in that case, what is the key to which node is whcih hexagram?

charly

visitor
Reaction score
would you care to explain the grid?

Noxlux:

I believe it's helpful to put some order when analysing textual material, the most simple is a list, 1-dimension array, or double entry tables, 3 dimensions array.

We can use a hexagonal grid putting the resultant hexagram in the centre and the other in the periphereal hexagons.

Fartening the hexagons from the central we have space for trace the path between each surrounding hexagon with the central, putting a rectangle.

This is only a tool for analysing, for probing althoug grids, hexagons and its mathematical properties holds large esoteric connotations.

are the nodes hexagrams?
yes, that's the idea.
QUOTE]in that case, what is the key to which node is whcih hexagram?[/QUOTE]
The central hexagon is the resultant hexagram, writ in it the name, sentence and image.

The arrange for sourrounding hexagons is proposed:

_3_6_
2_0_5
_1_4_

at le left the inner trigram and at the right the outer trigram.

In the rectangles write the lines texts.

Yours,

Charly

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).