Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New I Ching books

Default New I Ching books

Every now and then I visit Amazon, search for 'I Ching' and 'books', and sort by publication date. My last search brings up quite a crop that are just out, or due out over the next few weeks and months. Some of the titles sound promising; few have any description. Any thoughts/ comments/ expectations for any of these?

- The I Ching Workbook, Roger Green
    - The I Ching: The Book of Chance and Change, Tom Leworthy
    - Fathoming the Cosmos and Ordering the World: The Yijing (I-Ching, or Classic of Changes) and Its Evolution in China (Richard Lectures), Richard J. Smith (note to self: buy it)
    - The I Ching: Points of Balance and Cycles of Change,Peggy Jones
    - Simply I Ching, Kim Farnell
    - The Women's I Ching,Sarah Denning
    - Whole Heart of I Ching: The Complete Teachings from the Chinese Book of Changes, John Bright-Fey
    - Tao I Ching: The Mystic Gateway, Tom W.A. Leworthy
    Next Change Circle gathering April 26th
    Post your reading here!
    (and pick up the 'Shadow hexagrams' pdf)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hilary For This Useful Post:

answeredquestions (May 5th, 2012), charly (May 6th, 2012), chingching (May 10th, 2012)

I am wondering if anyone has read Peggy Jones' Points of Balance and Cycles of Change. I was able to read quite a bit from the book with the kindle version that one can click on to preview the book. I was impressed by the author's writing. But it costs about $30, which is a bit steep, so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend it ...
    Set another light in heaven.

I asked about Jones' book in another thread... I'm going to make it my next purchase. I'd be very, very interested to read a translation from a practising Jungian analyst, especially with regard to archetypes in the Yijing. Roll on this month's pay-day!

I agree this one looks interesting - I've just been reading the introduction (at Amazon), and I like the feel of it. You can tell it's from someone who's done plenty of readings and got a good sense of the process.

You can get a bigger preview from Google books:
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=R...page&q&f=false
    including a good few full hexagrams.
    Post your reading here!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hilary For This Useful Post:

charly (May 6th, 2012)

Oh, I see it is another translation of the I Ching. From the intriguing title, I had thought it was going to be a high-level discourse. Thank you, Hilary.

Just a caveat, don't buy it as a translation. It isn't. It is more in the vein of Carol K. Anthony's books.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparhawk For This Useful Post:

charly (May 6th, 2012), ginnie (May 5th, 2012)

Would you say it had been USEFUL to you, Sparhawk? Were there those "Aha!" moments?

Hello Hilary;
    Richard J. Smith's book is indeed a must buy. I also like to check Amazon every once in a while and Friday night I discovered this:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Ching-Biog...6259583&sr=8-1
    What a coincidence to see you mentioned his previous book or is it?Anyway I ordered it already and at a very affordable price, too.
    Sergio

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sergio For This Useful Post:

charly (May 6th, 2012)

Hilary-I just received my copy of Richard J. Smith's book this morning. There is a title in the bibliography has a book listed that immediately caught my eye and interest: Clark, J.J. - The Tao of the West: Western Transformations of Taoist Thought. London: Routledge 2000. Since it was published in 2000, perhaps you have already read it or read a review of it. I will also mention that I was able to purchase the Smith book from the Strand Bookstore in NYC via the internet at a great price ( hardcover $17.49 ). The opening chapters are engrossing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to blackopsbagua For This Useful Post:

charly (August 6th, 2012)

Agreed about the opening chapters (that's as far as I've got, too). I don't know that book you mention, but probably someone here does...
    Post your reading here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast