...life can be translucent

Menu

New I Ching books

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Every now and then I visit Amazon, search for 'I Ching' and 'books', and sort by publication date. My last search brings up quite a crop that are just out, or due out over the next few weeks and months. Some of the titles sound promising; few have any description. Any thoughts/ comments/ expectations for any of these?

- The I Ching Workbook, Roger Green
- The I Ching: The Book of Chance and Change, Tom Leworthy
- Fathoming the Cosmos and Ordering the World: The Yijing (I-Ching, or Classic of Changes) and Its Evolution in China (Richard Lectures), Richard J. Smith (note to self: buy it)
- The I Ching: Points of Balance and Cycles of Change,Peggy Jones
- Simply I Ching, Kim Farnell
- The Women's I Ching,Sarah Denning
- Whole Heart of I Ching: The Complete Teachings from the Chinese Book of Changes, John Bright-Fey
- Tao I Ching: The Mystic Gateway, Tom W.A. Leworthy

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has read Peggy Jones' Points of Balance and Cycles of Change. I was able to read quite a bit from the book with the kindle version that one can click on to preview the book. I was impressed by the author's writing. But it costs about $30, which is a bit steep, so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend it ...

tripconey

visitor
Reaction score
I asked about Jones' book in another thread... I'm going to make it my next purchase. I'd be very, very interested to read a translation from a practising Jungian analyst, especially with regard to archetypes in the Yijing. Roll on this month's pay-day!

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Oh, I see it is another translation of the I Ching. From the intriguing title, I had thought it was going to be a high-level discourse. Thank you, Hilary.
:)

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Just a caveat, don't buy it as a translation. It isn't. It is more in the vein of Carol K. Anthony's books.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Would you say it had been USEFUL to you, Sparhawk? Were there those "Aha!" moments?

blackopsbagua

visitor
Reaction score
Hilary-I just received my copy of Richard J. Smith's book this morning. There is a title in the bibliography has a book listed that immediately caught my eye and interest: Clark, J.J. - The Tao of the West: Western Transformations of Taoist Thought. London: Routledge 2000. Since it was published in 2000, perhaps you have already read it or read a review of it. I will also mention that I was able to purchase the Smith book from the Strand Bookstore in NYC via the internet at a great price ( hardcover $17.49 ). The opening chapters are engrossing.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Agreed about the opening chapters (that's as far as I've got, too). I don't know that book you mention, but probably someone here does...

p mac

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Hilary and all - I have published 'The Sum of Things' and 'The Book of Divine revelations - Judgement's and the Law's of the Sacred Mountain' on Scridb.com Paul Martyn-Smith. There is also other papers on the math loaded, but all works are from the I Ching, as with 'Divine Revelations' being a re-write of Wilhelm's Edition in full, as an interpretation of The Materials in Book 1., Undoing the math in Book 2., The Book of Creation, and in Book 3, The Oracles are re-written for reflection on Treading. My site has also been moved to http://ichingmath.webplus.net.

Many Thanks to all - I hope the work helps on the path. Paul.

p mac

visitor
Reaction score
Just and update.

I have now moved all works from Mac iWeb etc., and have put both books on the I Ching, and Paper on the math of the Lo Shu's pattern the Contracted Integers and Solfeggio Runs on Paul Martyn Smith Academia.edu

This is either readable without downloading, or again giving as free downloads.

Thanks for the interest - Paul.:bows:

fyreflye

visitor
Reaction score
The Celestial Dragon I Ching

And still they keep coming: http://amzn.to/QgrNua
The Celestial Dragon I Ching: A Unique New Version of the Chinese Oracle for Making Decisions and Discovering Your Destiny [Hardcover]
Neyma Jahan (Author)

It's published by Watkins so should be available in the UK.

I saw this today in my local bookstore. It's a beautifully produced book, more of a rewrite than a translation. The hexagram titles are quite imaginative, though not that far off. The price is so low for a hardback book of this quality that I'm likely to buy it without further input but I wonder if anyone here has seen it and can comment on it. I would think it would be useful as an oracle no matter how much it deviated from the original Yi text, but we don't like books claiming they're the Yi when they aren't, do we?

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).