Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 35.4

candid Guest

35.4 This line has never been entirely clear to me.

Bradford?s translation calls it a rodent. Gives me the impression of something sneaky.

Wilhelm?s calls it a hamster. Gives me the impression of storing things up for itself ? selfish or hoarding.

LiSe?s calls it 5-skills-squirrel. Doing many things a little but nothing completely.

Any further input?

It's a stealth plane.

And this is the pilot, boarding the plane:

candid Guest

Martin, interesting. Covert, concealed, stealthy progress.

Thanks

candid Guest

?Perseverance brings danger.?

It doesn?t say misfortune. Just, danger.

candid Guest

Now I'll forever have that pilot image in my head when I get that line. I like it.

Hi-
    Just a point of language here.
    The critter is a Shi2 Shu3
    First word is an adjective giving it a long tail
    The second is the rodent/rat
    Two character words were not unheard of back then, but were much rarer than today.
    There's a good chance LiSe is correct that this is the beastie called 5 Skills Rodent
    I elected to translate Squirrelly Rodent because of the context and the more obvious meaning this imparts to the line text.

candid Guest

Thanks, Brad. I'm afraid this still leaves me scratching my head. What is the nature of a "squirrelly rodent"? And how does a squirrelly rodent progress?

When the sun rises (35) everything becomes visible. Everything will be brought to light.
    This is the tendency of the hexagram.
    But the subject of line 4 - in the center of the "dark" water trigram - is not acting in accordance with this tendency. He tries to hide something. And he doesn't need to. There is no need for secrecy or stealthy means. He can be open, direct and sincere.

Candid-
    I can't put it any more clearly than Martin.
    Yi ethics are usually situational. The stealth, the sneakiness, the admirable five skills are all perfectly appropriate in this Gua's Inverse, #36, Darkening of the Light or Brightness Obscured. But this behavior is either wholly inappropriate or else self destructive in 35. It's time for daylight or sunshine now. Now he's only one step ahead of the gardener's shovel.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bradford_h For This Useful Post:

curious1 (January 14th, 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast