Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bible and Yi

Default The Bible and Yi

Hi!

A friend pointed out today that both the yi and the bible starts with the sequence: 1)heaven and 2)earth.

He found this to be compelling evidence that there must be a connection between the two writings.

Is there?

Nozluz

P.S. btw I also remember stumbling across a quote in the old testament wherein the old testament god sounds more or less just like dao - when one takes the quote at face value that is. Does anyone know whereof I speak, and is able to provide a reference? D.S.

Quote Originally Posted by noxlux View Post
    He found this to be compelling evidence that there must be a connection between the two writings.

Is there?

Nozluz
    Oh my, for the last couple of weeks I've been arguing with an evangelical/prophetical zealot on Twitter about his idea that the Yijing was begot by the Bible and one of his "compelling" examples was that "well, take Noah and wife and his family and there you'll have the 8 trigrams" Please, don't go down that road here; this is longer than 140 characters at the time...

I don't mind people finding correspondences and coincidences between the two texts but there's no way that a lost Israeli tribe settled in China and gave the Yijing to the world. As for Heaven and Earth, anyone with all five senses intact can come up with metaphors of above and below and so on. Give the Chinese credit where credit is due and to the Jews what's theirs. Let's not mix them both in a genesis pot.

If you want to read an exhaustive book on those relationships, get yourself a copy of Joe E. McCaffree's 1982 book, "Bible and I Ching Relationships" It is out of print but a few copies are still available in Abebooks. He wrote that from the biblical Christian perspective and, so bound, he found all kinds of relationships. Fun read for those so inclined.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by noxlux View Post

Is there?

Nozluz

Also Joseph murphy wrote a book about the connection between the Bible and the Yi. Secrets of the I Ching he called it. http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Ph-D-D...0853213&sr=8-1

All the best Frank

Hi Nozluz -

You might find this book interesting: "Embracing Change: Postmodern Interpretations of the I Ching from a Christian Perspective" by Jung Young Lee, University of Scranton Press, 1994, ISBN 0949866234.

Lee is a very serious Korean Christian thinker who likes to re-interpret Chinese philosophy in the light of contemporary Christian theology. Not for the faint-hearted.

Abdiel

A down-to-earth example of the kind of thing that can happen with the Yi: http://www.mcsletstalk.org/Vol2No111.htm
    Last edited by abdiel; April 27th, 2009 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abdiel View Post
    You might find this book interesting: "Embracing Change: Postmodern Interpretations of the I Ching from a Christian Perspective" by Jung Young Lee, University of Scranton Press, 1994, ISBN 0949866234.
    Yes, good recommendation for those that want to walk that connecting path. Prof. Lee has several books on that regard. I think I have all of them. And also Murphy, as Frank points out. McCaffree though is more specific in detail and is almost 500 pages of anecdotal minutia such as:

"The name given about four hundred years later during Moses leadership to the collective families of Dan was Shuham (shoo-khawm'), the people known as shoo-khawmee'. Because Moses' blessing calls Dan " lion's whelp" this opens up a possibility of allusion being intended to both Chinese and Egyptian. In Chinese is a relevant term with a sound similar to shoo. It is shih, "a lion." This graphic combined with another shih refers to the "stone lions at entrance gates." In Egypt one member of the Great Company of the Gods of Heliopolis was Shu. Shu was une of the Twin Lion-gods, the other being Tefnut. Budge observed that

As the god of the space which exist between the earth and the sky, Shu was represented under the form of a god who held up the sky with his two hands, one supporting at the place of sunrise, and the other at the place of sunset... In a picture given by Lanzone he grasps in his left hand a scorpion, a serpent, and a hawk-headed sceptre. [GoE, v.2, p 89]
    I mean, whereas Lee's books are more from a contemporary Christian doctrine POV, McCaffree is that plus encyclopaedic biblical and historical connections a la Indiana Jones...

meng Guest

I often refer to the "red letter" (alleged) words of Jesus, as they agree with what I read in the IC. I can find and/or create correlations between the old and new testament bible and the IC all day long. But I don't believe one had any influence on the other, other than both originating from the same collective mind, applied locally through different cultural views. And in each of them are different schools of interpretation, such as the Confucian moral/ethical school vs the Daoist natural school, and the OT Law vs the NT Grace schools. But every human works with the same basic elements, and so naturally they're going to at least agree on those.

Quote Originally Posted by meng View Post
    I can find and/or create correlations between the old and new testament bible and the IC all day long. But I don't believe one had any influence on the other, other than both originating from the same collective mind, applied locally through different cultural views.
    Exactly how I think. Ye seek and ye shall find.

meng Guest

The first of those agreements being: father/sky, mother/earth.

In the famous words of Damon Wayons.........
    uh.....................no!

(In reference to the initial question, "Is there?")

meng Guest

There is the story, which can be found all over the net, that Jesus' biblical silent years (so-called lost years) were spent learning and teaching between Tibet and India. Buddhist text from that time is said to attest to the story. Based on so many things Jesus is alleged to have said and taught, it seems feasible at least.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Jesus...ient=firefox-a

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast