...life can be translucent

Menu

how to meditate 33.6 to 31

jiang

visitor
Reaction score
After reading a paragraph about meditation, in the Taoïst Yijing (translation T. Cleary)
I was very fascinated by the possibilities of meditation to become serene and calm and free of the chattering mind.
The advice for meditation in busy, every day live struck my attention. To be honest I dont believe meditation really can free te mind of negative compulsive thougts. In that mood I consulted the Yijing and asked 'how to meditate?' I've got 33.9 to 31. The gua seems to suggest retrait, witch is not corresponding with the Taoïst advice to meditate in the noise of every day live.The 'how' to question is not answered for me, because I hoped upon something very concrete.I should very much appreciate a reading.

J

jesed

You got a lovely, sharp and wise answer. Too bad that you think it is no answer for you.

M

maremaria

After reading a paragraph about meditation, in the Taoïst Yijing (translation T. Cleary)
I was very fascinated by the possibilities of meditation to become serene and calm and free of the chattering mind.
The advice for meditation in busy, every day live struck my attention. To be honest I dont believe meditation really can free te mind of negative compulsive thougts. In that mood I consulted the Yijing and asked 'how to meditate?' I've got 33.9 to 31. The gua seems to suggest retrait, witch is not corresponding with the Taoïst advice to meditate in the noise of every day live.The 'how' to question is not answered for me, because I hoped upon something very concrete.I should very much appreciate a reading.

Hi
I'm not familiar with the taoist approach re meditation in busy . Could you tell us more about it ? what the book says ?

jiang

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you , Jesed, yes a bell is ringing :) I have read also the comments on Lisa Heyboers site and Bradford Hatchers and I can relate the Gua now better to the my meditation question. Maremaria: in the Taoïst Yijing Thomas Cleary says that in Taoïst writings like 'Cloud nest Annals' meditation in everydaylife is prefered to retaint meditation. Sorry for my bad English. Think you better read the book yourself.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Thought Stopping

To be honest I dont believe meditation really can free te mind of negative compulsive thougts.

Line 6 moving in H33 means to retreat completely from what's bothering you for a while, and that means to stop thinking about it. Anything that causes us to feel conflict is to be avoided.

The word "meditation" in the I Ching has more to do with knowing when to act and when to keep still.

To bring the mind into the present moment by sitting still or even by lying quietly in bed -- who has not experienced the mind calming down by doing this?

bamboo

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
33.6 to 31 is a beautiful response.It is very possible to retreat from noisy mind and to also be in the midst of activity and meeting. Be present in the moment, be present in a state of holy happy retreat from drama of the mind. you are not your mind, you can be free of chattering mind and then be fully engaged in the present. just be love. let love radiate through you. be simple, be transparent

I

i2k7

I agree it's a perfect response!

Whilst 33 can be external retreat/withdrawal, I think it also speaks to internal withdrawal.

Stepping back from experience, stepping back from thoughts and feelings, so that they can be observed makes one into a 'rich pig'.

Karcher says the old character for 33 suggests 'stopping and turning in order to make sacrifice to underworld powers'. He also says 'retire and be coupled with heaven' (that's what all mediation is) and 'immerse yourself in the situation and endure' (a pointer to things like witnessing, mindfulness meditation) and 'knowing when to retire is a great and righteous thing' (i.e. when you meditate is important).

Bradford's take on 33.6 is 'resourceful retreat' - isn't that exactly what meditation is/does? His commentary says 'detachment is from aversion and craving, not from living a life'.

The concreteness is, to my way of thinking, pointing to things like mindfulness meditation, which is a form of internal retreat, stepping back, withdrawing, so that there is a small amount of distance between you and what you're experiencing. That's the technique the I Ching is pointing you too, in my opinion.

I don't think that this hexagram is always talking about physical retreat from society or from groups of people, just that meditation necessarily involves a lessening of involvement with the outer world. But that's only from the point of view of our being over-involved with the outer world in the first place. To meditate - even to meditate in and on the outer world - requires a slight shift in our perceptions which is described by hex 33 - stepping back, getting some distance. You can't relate to something, you can't even see it clearly, if you don't have a little bit of distance from it.

jiang

visitor
Reaction score
i2k7,bamboo,ginnie, thanks for the feedback! Things are more clear now, have a lot to think about, shall do it in a mindfull way :)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).