...life can be translucent

Menu

HELP...Failed!

cnmn

visitor
Reaction score
OK...My son who is a gifted musician but very learning disabled received his music theory exam back as I had earlier posted . He has a serious math disability and although registered as such things went awry and he took his exam without his accommodations and received a 45, failed! Much of the test was writing music in difficult time signatures...I think he needs more tutoring in this area. Friday, March12 is the last day to drop this class... An I ching for dropping the class produced hexagram 57, 1ST AND 6TH divided changing to Hex 5.

The Hex for keeping this class and not dropping it was Hex 15, 1st divided, changing to Hexagram 36. I am very confused and really concerned...

lucia

visitor
Reaction score
This isn't from the ching but appeal the decision and ask for a resit..............

Lucia

cnmn

visitor
Reaction score
Thank you Lucia...but once the test is given, legally in NY state he cannot have it rescinded for that reason as he acquiesced to taking it without his accommodations...CNMN

gene

visitor
Reaction score
cnmn

The best I can get from this is that you do not have the strength to continue a struggle in this matter, and it is best to withdraw. That being said, it may be that I really do not understand exactly how you are formulating this, and what is in your mind in terms of asking the question.

The commentary for hexagram 15 line 1 says, "...is made much more difficult if many claims and considerations have to be taken into account." That does seem to fit in a way. Nevertheless, I can understand the confusion and the disappointment you must be going through. Hexagram 57 deals with that too, in the sense that decisions are very hard to make. I am really empathetic about the pain you must be going through in making this decision.

Gene

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Asked I ching for dropping the class produced hexagram 57.1,6 changing to Hex 5.

This says don't drop the class, wait and just take a chance that it will all work out fine for the boy.

The Hex for keeping this class and not dropping it was Hex 15.1 changing to Hexagram 36

Line 15.1 indicates that its fine to take a chance here and continue with the class, while Hex 36 is more to the point, when one faces adversity you don't give up, a valuable lesson in persevering to achieve one's goal

tigerintheboat

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Pass Failure By

OK...My son who is a gifted musician but very learning disabled received his music theory exam back as I had earlier posted . He has a serious math disability and although registered as such things went awry and he took his exam without his accommodations and received a 45, failed! Much of the test was writing music in difficult time signatures...I think he needs more tutoring in this area. Friday, March12 is the last day to drop this class... An I ching for dropping the class produced hexagram 57, 1ST AND 6TH divided changing to Hex 5.

The Hex for keeping this class and not dropping it was Hex 15, 1st divided, changing to Hexagram 36. I am very confused and really concerned...

Look at this quote from the Wikiwing, concerning H15, Line 1:

"'Advancing, withdrawing.
Harvest in a warrior's constancy.'

Commentary on the line: ‘Advancing withdrawing, purpose in doubt. Harvest in a warrior’s constancy: purpose well-governed.’

It could be that the best constancy for a warrior is to advance and withdraw, respond to the situation and survive. The key is to have a consistent long-term objective."

It certainly sounds like it would be fine to withdraw ...it would be a form of advance, if it is part of a long term objective, and not just a fear reaction.

The commentary on Line 6 is interesting....

"One experience: way too much concern with what other people might perhaps be thinking or feeling, from someone who was supposed to be teaching them, guiding the way they thought"

This indicates that you may be too worried about the effect of this one class, and what people think of him and his inability to do this written aspect of music theory.

Tiger

cnmn

visitor
Reaction score
He is refusing to withdraw!

My son has made it clear to me he is going to stay in the class, take his accommodations from now on and fight to get a better grade. He said he is absolutely not withdrawing...Your replies to my post were so helpful!!!!! BTW almost everyone in the class failed we now were told BY THE TEACHER...and he pulled my son aside and told him that and not to worry...so perhaps my son is up to the challenge if the entire class failed and they did not need special ed accommodations...Teacher certainly needs to change his approach.

gene

visitor
Reaction score
As I look at this more, I have to agree with Willowfox. It is determination that makes the difference, and it appears your son has it. Hopefully, all will go well.

Gene

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).