...life can be translucent

Menu

What is the Meaning of Life?

U

unsubscribed_cm

So I finally broke down and just put it to the Yijing, a question that was perhaps bigger than I realized. But I knew it was a big one. I have been trepidatious about asking the Yijing questions which are of ultimate meaning and grave purpose, simply because I was not sure I could bear the onslaught of the truth of the answer...

Nonetheless, I was watching a movie seeing men die and families slaughtered and women get raped by evil people and gangsters.. while playing a game called "Migration" which is about helping animals make it to their migratory destination, without getting eaten.

I decided to go ahead and ask one of the biggest questions...

"What is the cosmic or ultimate purpose of life?"

- -
---
- -
- -
---
---

60 unchanging

Limitation?

Wow. So the purpose of life is to experience the finite, the limited, conservation of novelty.

"Unlimited possibilities are not suitable" to life... :brickwall:

That makes sense. It seems it's really what life is about...
Some people turn away from the infinite and live their lives
in their narrow self righteousness...
In fact most it seems. I turn back to the infinite and live my life,
I admire those others that do also, but they are few...

Glad I didn't get 23, 36 or 44 hehe...

Of course this opens up a whole new set of questions...

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
So I finally broke down and just put it to the Yijing, a question that was perhaps bigger than I realized. But I knew it was a big one. I have been trepidatious about asking the Yijing questions which are of ultimate meaning and grave purpose, simply because I was not sure I could bear the onslaught of the truth of the answer...

Nonetheless, I was watching a movie seeing men die and families slaughtered and women get raped by evil people and gangsters.. while playing a game called "Migration" which is about helping animals make it to their migratory destination, without getting eaten.

I decided to go ahead and ask one of the biggest questions...

- -
---
- -
- -
---
---

60 unchanging

Limitation?

Wow. So the purpose of life is to experience the finite, the limited, conservation of novelty.

"Unlimited possibilities are not suitable" to life... :brickwall:

That makes sense. It seems it's really what life is about...
Some people turn away from the infinite and live their lives
in their narrow self righteousness...
In fact most it seems. I turn back to the infinite and live my life,
I admire those others that do also, but they are few...

Glad I didn't get 23, 36 or 44 hehe...

Of course this opens up a whole new set of questions...

OTOH the answer could mean "you need to narrow your question down a bit cos I can't fit the meaning into one hexagram theres 64 of em". What you tend to leave out of your readings is you. You take the answer as pure objective fact....how can it be ? Cyclo asked this question on the 20th may 2011, got hex 60 and so this settles the meaning of life once and for all ? Or maybe the answer was for Cyclo on 20th may 2011

If all of us asked Yi the same question I expect we would all get different answers though it would be phenomenal if we all got 42 !

rodaki

visitor
Reaction score
What Trojan is saying was one of the thoughts that came up for me too when I read your post C . .

one of the other things that I thought is a standard reference for me regarding hx60, which is found here, maybe with some emphasis on annealing (also posted on the memorizing threads).
An example in art is a clip of an artwork of a Japanese artist I posted yesterday on my 'notes' thread. The artwork is actually just a small dark room with some lights hanging, covered in mirrors and a thin layer of water on the floor -the result it produces though is reminiscent of the universe. The gist of it as I perceive it is that the way to discover the infinite is thru the finite . . life can be divided in many moments, periods, phases and being wholly in each of them could generate a meaning all its own and yet part of a greater image, one that is constantly being given shape, molded, created . .

It could also be that the answer was showing something to reflect upon, while watching your own reverberations rising on the surface .. my guess is that the answers of the I Ching often fit our needs at the moment, directing our next questions rather than answering them. On the other hand, if meaning is created thru our own limitations, it can also be saying that your life's meaning is what you'll make of it . . a very definite (in distinction to definitive) but far-ranging answer too

Looking back in the 'memorizing' thread I also came across another description of 60 I'd like to quote:

Hex 60 as simplicity manifest
The wonder of hexagram 60 is that it represents the final quiescent fulfillment of its set. The flowing water has come to rest within the local topography to form a lake. It is an achievement of a great symphony of forces and developments though it just sits there quietly reflecting the sky. What started in the Divine power manifest in awesome thunder has settled out as simple limitation of possibilities within local available structure.

Frank

this one given to us from Frank Kegan . .
:bows:

so these are some of my thoughts, that I first of all apply to myself while I keep on working on my meaning . .

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
Maybe it means that the Yi can only express a limited amount of what life is for; perhaps because there are also myriad possibilities depending upon who's doing the living?

H

hebe

Yes,that's what I would say...I think that point resonates best for me as I can't imagine there being an answer expanisve enough or definitive in any way.....Hebe

gato

visitor
Reaction score
Galling limitation must not be persevered in... means that one should not persist in believing such thing exists(meaning of life). this is just an invention to satisfy our egos

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
60 unchanging

Limitation?

My favorite " definition" is the one of J. Campbell. “Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is Whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning.”

Wilhelms' hex 60 commentary ... the fixed limits that the superior man sets upon his actions-the limits of loyalty and disinterestedness, in a way matches with that. 60 not as limitations but more as choices to what one clings.

bamboo

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I think 60 is a perfect answer to what Purpose of Life is about. Focus. every individual is a point of focus, you see the world from your particular lens, the sacred lens of your unique vantage point. And to work with that (seemingly) narrow focus is the purpose. It doesnt mean a disadvantage, it means your opportunity, your particular gift of Life. perfect your focus, cultivate what is yours to cultivate.

Imagine if every kid went to college and never focused on what called to them, the thing natural to their talent and interest. what if they got so distracted by all the stimuli and possibility and social interaction that they never honed in on their true purpose there? They would end up scattered and lost, and without purpose nor direction.

having a particular focal point does not preclude endless possibility, the possibilities for cultivation are enormous, success is expansive, creativity in your endeavors is wide open. but to know who you are, and to embrace your sacred focal point- your unique window onto the world of this existence-- is to find your purpose, and to be it in action.

U

unsubscribed_cm

OTOH the answer could mean "you need to narrow your question down a bit cos I can't fit the meaning into one hexagram theres 64 of em". What you tend to leave out of your readings is you. You take the answer as pure objective fact....how can it be ? Cyclo asked this question on the 20th may 2011, got hex 60 and so this settles the meaning of life once and for all ? Or maybe the answer was for Cyclo on 20th may 2011

If all of us asked Yi the same question I expect we would all get different answers though it would be phenomenal if we all got 42 !

Trojan you seem to have the tendency to relate almost every divination back to the person casting it (at least for me). So there is no objective information, everything is rendered subjective. Is that something you just apply to CyclotronMajesty or to all divinatory messages from the Yijing? And if so why? I agree that sometimes the book seems to take this sort of route, but I've noticed it seems only to apply it when the question is vague, flippant sarcastic etc.

It could also be that the answer was showing something to reflect upon, while watching your own reverberations rising on the surface .. my guess is that the answers of the I Ching often fit our needs at the moment, directing our next questions rather than answering them. On the other hand, if meaning is created thru our own limitations, it can also be saying that your life's meaning is what you'll make of it . . a very definite (in distinction to definitive) but far-ranging answer too

Yes. The Yijing does seem to do this. Especially when you want to extract information like a data miner. It wants to then soften your touch… :brickwall:

But also it looks like what you said there (in bold) suggests a non-maternal definite answer.

I think 60 is a perfect answer to what Purpose of Life is about. Focus. every individual is a point of focus, you see the world from your particular lens, the sacred lens of your unique vantage point. And to work with that (seemingly) narrow focus is the purpose. It doesnt mean a disadvantage, it means your opportunity, your particular gift of Life. perfect your focus, cultivate what is yours to cultivate.

Imagine if every kid went to college and never focused on what called to them, the thing natural to their talent and interest. what if they got so distracted by all the stimuli and possibility and social interaction that they never honed in on their true purpose there? They would end up scattered and lost, and without purpose nor direction.

having a particular focal point does not preclude endless possibility, the possibilities for cultivation are enormous, success is expansive, creativity in your endeavors is wide open. but to know who you are, and to embrace your sacred focal point- your unique window onto the world of this existence-- is to find your purpose, and to be it in action.

I dunno where I read it, but Chris Lofting's Emotional I Ching, one of the hexagrams, suggests that that boundless is actually more the oppressive than the limited. I found that a totally new idea, but it's pretty well founded, notwithstanding that limits have to be limited themselves, as infinite limits is once again hitting infinity, and therefore not limited.

Limits could also suggest choices, as choices are clear universal boundaries. So as already stated: it is what you make of it.

... Although I do think that life is really about the finite, the limited, it's about the flesh, moments, and self realization, at least IMHO, figuring out what you are, and as Gandalf said: "What to do with the time we have..." or something like that. I've also noticed, life isn't about the profound very much. It's not about God, the spiritual or ultimate human destiny in general. Deep thinkers and introverts with grand ideas, are not often given a public hearing, people just don't have time for that. So even if you are a sage or guru of some sort, you have to compartmentalize yourself in order to deal with the world, sell DVDs, and schedule retreats, even though you probably officially find such fussy things tiresome.

Yes the limited indeed. Our time here is limited, and novelty is limited and conserved.

This is a very Saturnian view of life. I bet a NWO Illuminati type would relish it: the purpose of life is LAWS, and control, population control and finite resources etc. Lol...

On the other hand self actualization:

"The individual attains significance as a free spirit only by surrounding himself with these limitations and by determining for himself what his duty is." -Wilhelm

Determining who he is, what to do, etc.

S

sooo

My favorite " definition" is the one of J. Campbell. “Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is Whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning.”

"Life has no meaning! What meaning has a flower!?" is another of his quotes.

"Unlimited possibilities are not suited to man; if they existed, his life would only dissolve in the boundless. To become strong, a man's life needs the limitations ordained by duty and voluntarily accepted. The individual attains significance as a free spirit only by surrounding himself with these limitations and by determining for himself what his duty is." Wilhelm 60

For me, the idea here is that, delineation defines the individual. Our border is our outline, our cut or delineated features define us. "The meaning" is that individual existence and consciousness are able to be experienced. I can say "I" and "thou". Through separation, distinguishable measures can give meaning to life, such as the grains of sand, or what one deems as moral or right. That defines each individual thing as well.

Is that a big deal? Depends on how you narrow or focus the field, or, for your question, how you delineate the answer. Is it overly simplistic to say, life is what you make of it with who and what you are as an individual: your cut. In a guitar we'd say your carve.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Trojan you seem to have the tendency to relate almost every divination back to the person casting it (at least for me). So there is no objective information, everything is rendered subjective. Is that something you just apply to CyclotronMajesty or to all divinatory messages from the Yijing? And if so why? I agree that sometimes the book seems to take this sort of route, but I've noticed it seems only to apply it when the question is vague, flippant sarcastic etc.

Yes that is my orientation with the Yi so you're right. For me the one who casts will always be included in the answer, a part of the answer how could they not be.

One can get 'objective' information from the Yi in a sense...asking about everyday concerns....ie wheres my toothbrush...is this a good shop to go to...etc gives objective information but it tends to be related to personal concerns. You wish to understand the meaning of life is also a personal concern. Its important to you, its part of your life...so i am not dismissing that you ask it only suggesting you don't leave yourself out of the equation altogether as you tend to.

You see yourself as totaly disconnected from the answer but it really does answer you personally.

Hexagram 60 answered you at that time IMO

I think one could take any of the 64 hexagrams and write a fairy convincing piece about how they describe the meaning life.....which is great because they all do, they all are part of the meaning of life.

Last edited:

anemos

visitor
Reaction score
"Unlimited possibilities are not suited to man; if they existed, his life would only dissolve in the boundless. To become strong, a man's life needs the limitations ordained by duty and voluntarily accepted. The individual attains significance as a free spirit only by surrounding himself with these limitations and by determining for himself what his duty is." Wilhelm 60

For me, the idea here is that, delineation defines the individual. Our border is our outline, our cut or delineated features define us. "The meaning" is that individual existence and consciousness are able to be experienced. I can say "I" and "thou". Through separation, distinguishable measures can give meaning to life, such as the grains of sand, or what one deems as moral or right. That defines each individual thing as well.

I just saw... again... Truman Show. Among other thoughts, What you quoted here and CM"S reading popped into my mind when watching the last scene. The walls , like borders between the Seahaven and the real words and Truman deciding for what his "duty" is.

johnny ng

visitor
Reaction score
Morality means deciding what you may do and wat you may not. You become free by setting limitations on yourself voluntarily and sticking to them. Then you are in control of yourself rather than being at the beck and call of internal desire and external forces. :stir:

arabella

visitor
Reaction score
I think one could take any of the 64 hexagrams and write a fairy convincing piece about how they describe the meaning life.....which is great because they all do, they all are part of the meaning of life.

True that.;)

ace

visitor
Reaction score
"What is the cosmic or ultimate purpose of life?" Ans. 60

Perhaps the purpose of life is to live within limitation (e.g., like gravity is a limitation, age is a limitation, the things we want but can't have or the things we have but don't want are limitations), and to maximize life within the particular boundaries cosmically applied to us. Additionally, can't surpass a limitation unless one has accepted that there is a limitation. Reminds me of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche's discussion on disappointment. He said, according to my crude summary, that path to enlightenment is full of disappointment, as the ego has to come to terms with its own demise. Either way, one has to accept limitations as real, as a first step to any profound or routine journey.

or

The question was limited or the receivers of the question are too limited (us). But, we still toil.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).