...life can be translucent

Menu

Helpful Ideas

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I am quitting for you Trojan.. I didn't tell you this, but my quitting is going to be in your honor. I just decided it.
:flirt::flirt::flirt:
I was trying to think of what would peeve you the most - Did it work?:D

No :flirt: having said all of the above my partner died suddenly whilst I was in the midst of coming off an addiction to benzodiazipines. He'd been helping me with it, helping me measure reduction doses etc...it wasn't easy for him or me ! I continued with the programme as usual after he died, gave it up and got clear of the addiction....But not wanting his efforts to be lost, not wanting to let him down was a strong motivator in continuing..but again I experienced that as a decision that his efforts with me must not be wasted and I could honour his efforts and difficulties by continuing to come off the drugs. So yes i can see sometimes one may persist in defeating an addiction in someones honour

I think he is quite pleased with me ! :)

Maybe you could dedicate your efforts to someone who has passed who was close to you and would have wanted you to stop......rather than me ;) In a way its quite a nice way to make an offering to someone I think....and given what Hilary has been saying about ancestors, see her recent Blog entry, I also think they are a great source of invisible support....really ! http://onlineclarity.co.uk/answers/

Last edited:

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I must have a little charm, Trojan, else why after annoying you so much repeatedly as I have done these last two years, would you continue to apologize to me? (I'm hoping for another, shortly :) ) Luis is a gentleman and a scholar but isn't my type.Still, I hope Luis doesn't smoke.

I am hurt! Ok, I'll resist my impulses and will not hit on you, Tom. Besides, Trojan has claimed me for herself a long time ago... :rofl:

As for smoking, hard to believe for my young 50 years on this world, but I have never tasted a cigarette, or anything that would fill my lungs with smoke that didn't have a chunk of meat on top. My vices are limited to flirting with double X chromosomes, red wine, and the occasional whiskey.

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Those thanks are for your mom... :D

precision grace

visitor
Reaction score
I really really want to to quit too but I can't. First off all, shortly I am going to visit relatives and it's like smokers heaven there. I went there once when I hadn't been smoking and it was really hard to cope with. Secondly, I hate the smell and sight of cigarettes and smoke SO MUCH that the only way I can cope is if I am smoking too. Otherwise it makes me retch just to smell a whiff on the street. Actually I smoke now and other people's smoke STILL bothers me. Arrgh. I did stop for 3 years and I remember thinking back then, I really hope I never start again because I don't think I would ever be able to quit again. It was sooo hard. But at the same time, it really isn't. Because it's only the next craving you have to worry about and it only usually lasts couple of minutes. So mantra: I just need to get through this craving...
Also, useful thing to remember: cravings hit in intervals of two: every two hours; when you get over that: every two days; when you get over that: every two weeks: when you get over that: every two months etc.. If you remember that, it will make it easier. THe hard part when you are quitting is when you do well for a while and then suddenly get hit by a completely overpowering craving out of nowhere and without some sort of reasoning (like oh it's the sneaky attack number 2) it's hard not to succumb. SO remember. This is WAR. And you WILL WIN. You can kick it's ass because you are awesome.
xx

Reaction score
I felt like I was going thru a wave craving when I read what you said PG. Must be the style of writing. Will you write us an "Anthem to Quitting"?! yeah, I said 'us'! Will you be quitting too?

precision grace

visitor
Reaction score
oh I am sorry. Didn't want to make you feel a craving! Bah! I will quit but I can't until end of March. There is no point in trying I will just stress myself too much. I keep saying to myself: Self, make it so that you don't even want to smoke, that it doesn't even occur to you to think about it so that I don't actually have to quit, it can quit me instead :D

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
I felt like I was going thru a wave craving when I read what you said PG. Must be the style of writing. Will you write us an "Anthem to Quitting"?! yeah, I said 'us'! Will you be quitting too?

Or a mystery The Smoker, about a contract assassin who is betrayed by his cigarette while stalking a victim.

Reaction score
Precision Grace! A smoker? Uck, give it up. My dad died of smoking related illness at 44! That means the roots of illness were there for quite some time, laid down in his 20's and 30's. And, being a non smoker greatly improves your quality of life, and the selection of potential life partners. I get much more interest as a nonsmoker.

Now, everyone is different in how well they can tolerate the damaging effects of cigarette smoke, but most people notice they are more susceptible to anything after 30. Especially cigarette smoking. I sure noticed. After starting up briefly again when I turned 30. I started to notice the collagen in my face disintegrating... Like overnight! From sucking on cigarettes. My upper lip actually got stuck like that, folded up like an accordion, like when you suck on a cigarette. And I don't mean lines. I realized when my lip stick started bleeding, and I looked in the mirror more closely. I wasn't sucking on anything, but my upper lip was stuck like I was sucking on something! Brings new meaning to a stiff upper lip. I immediately quit, and started using glycolic acid to soften the stiff and shriveled skin. It took 48 hours for it to unstick, and it was painful and tingly, like when a limb falls asleep and you start moving it again, and when it did unstick, and I could see the smoothed out surface finally, there was an amorphous dent, a depression, on the right side, above my upper lip where I would hold the cigarette in my mouth, right where the deepest fold had been. About 1/2 a centimeter wide and high. The tissue had started to die. And the dent was all white because the circulation there had died. It must have become so constricted when it was stuck. And there were all these lines on my upper lips and even on my cheeks running toward my lip.

Luckily, I was able to reverse this effect with quitting smoking, exercise, diet, nutritional supplements, the right topicals, and some help from an aesthetician;). You know how us Leos feel about our faces:D. Within 3 months, I saw improvement, and 6 months significant improvement. But, it took a little over 2 years for the dent to fill in completely and the white to turn completely flesh toned where I can't see it at all anymore. You would never know looking at me that this ever happened now. Point is, if you make a conscious effort to maintain your health and appearance, you can. If you smoke, well it's a crap shoot. But, I've found, you can dramatically effect your health in a positive way, even if you have incurred some damage. If you quit. For me, I found it very damaging, and I can not tolerate it. There is no way to know how it will affect you... You don't want to look in the mirror one day and find your lip all stiff and shriveled, painfully folded up on itself. Do you?

Last edited:

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful thread, every single contribution! It is not only about smoking or stop smoking, it is about living life, your own life, instead of being lived.
So many really powerful ways to hold on to that birthright.
:bows:

charly

visitor
Reaction score
If your cigarette turns against you, you're probably smoking more than tobacco:p.
Hi, Dancing:

Cigarettes always turn agains smokers. We never smoke only tobacco, maybe american indians did it but now cigarette smoke contains also chemistry, pesticides, herbicides and so.

Deffinitely not health friendly, I believe.

Yours,

Charly

Reaction score
Beautiful thread, every single contribution! It is not only about smoking or stop smoking, it is about living life, your own life, instead of being lived.
So many really powerful ways to hold on to that birthright.
:bows:

Thanks for shedding light on a new way to look at this:)

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_...claimed-6-million-lives-in-2011-report-shows/
Tobacco use claimed 6 million lives in 2011, report shows

Think a pack of cigarettes only costs you what the store clerk is asking for? Think again. According to the latest edition of the "Tobacco Atlas," the cost of a single pack of cigarettes costs an American smoker $35 when it comes to future health care costs. And, for the almost six million people who died from tobacco use in 2011, cigarettes also cost them their life.

Reaction score
I have a plan! I know this might seem useless or unbelievable because it is in the future and not "now". But I plan to quit on April 13th. It's a Friday, but I have always been lucky with 13's. To me they symbolize "rolling over" or "starting new" with 12 being last. This date is right after my trip to the beach. This is the vain part, but I didn't quit sooner because I didn't want to gain weight. It is the sad truth and I am fessing up to it. I am happy with Friday, April 13th, 2012. I think it fits perfectly. I also had the idea from the time I start my trip on the 5th until the 13th, I will smoke a cigarette every OTHER time that I want one. I would like to experience the "waves" as something temporary first and see how they feel to me. Also this will cut down, not much but a little, the amount I am smoking.

I have done this quitting thing before, once, and it was successful. I know I can do it. I am ashamed and upset with myself for having that one cigarette to start back up 3 years after I quit. That is something I cannot do again. As a test, I will be going on a mini trip to Florida in the middle of May with my cousin who smokes like a chimney and was the one who gave me the cigarette in Vegas last time I started up. This will be a challenge that I will have to prepare myself for, but I think I am up for it. I have to stop the cycle. Besides :) I didn't have Yi with me before and I am sure that will help.

Reaction score
Today is the day.

:demon::: Defensive Quitting :::demon:
Use the color green for the lungs and heart chakra, red for stability, and turquoise for the throat.
Bust out the electric tempura and set to the key of F for the heart, the key of E for the will, and the key of G for the throat.
Vocalize the sound 'Ay' for the heart, 'Oh' for stability, and 'Ee' for the throat.
Do Jumping jacks, jog etc to get cardio going.
Play the wood flute for positive and creative breath.
Use different breathing techniques to stimulate lungs.
Call friends and talk to them.
Go down to the coffee shop and get on the computer there instead.
Use the Bronchial mudra and New Light mudra.
Take short walks/hikes.
Practice my Tai Chi form.
Practice dan tian breathing.
Ponder Yijing reading 44.2.4 > 53. http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/frien...ad.php?t=14397
Recite Changing Energy Pattern mantra.
Drink lots of water.
Free Help: http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/quit_smok...quit/index.htm
Increasing the flavors in life.
Get Spicy and Grab a Cinnastick
Warm tea of various flavors
Think of Grandpa Bill watching over me
Homeopathy
Herbs for mood and calming (gaba or valerian)
Flaming Lips song - The Spark that Bled
Understand "Urge Surfing"
Use the Etch A Sketch
Create some Wood Burning pictures
Ask Yi how to proceed

:demon::: Quotes for Quitting :: :demon:
"I have decided to quit and I will" - Trojan Inspired
"It is about living life, your own life, instead of being lived" - LiSe
"There is a black wolf and a white wolf - one on each shoulder. Which will win?The one you feed" - Sort of a Bruce thing
"I AM Quitting" - ....I just AM.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." -Master Yoda - From Bradford

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
Yay! Get ready to have some extra spending cash in your pocket. Don't be shy about rewarding yourself with it for awhile. I spent it monthly on things I wanted but wouldn't buy otherwise. It helped! I also put signs up for a few days, "suffering for a little while means living for a long while." Most who don't quit are afraid of suffering withdrawals and so either don't or else load up on other nicotine things, gum, patches etc. Screw that, suffer a little while. It's SO worth it. Having some support is a good thing too. I had a friend tell me, it's ok to yell at me if you need to yell for awhile, lol. I thought it was a very thoughtful thing to offer. It's been 4 1/2 years here. I dream of smoking once in awhile without thinking of it in the dream, then suddenly I realize - I blew it! Then I wake up and am really glad it was just a dream. Actually, the thought of having a cig now is really repulsive. It's the last thing I want. The house, my clothes, my car, my breath all don't miss the smell either.

If you need to yell, IM me and have at it. :rofl: Proud-a-ya, girl. :hug:

Reaction score
haha. Thanks Bruce :) :hug:

So here is a mini update... I haven't smoked since roughly 11:30PM on Thursday the 12th. I worked a double that day, and left my house with the bird's, only to return to darkness. It was a looong day, and I don't smoke at work. I didn't even really think about smoking until my feet hit the pavement to leave. Then I lit up. I also had a couple on the front porch that night when I got home. I couldn't even finish them (this happened a lot to me). I didn't even finish the last cigarette.

I went to work on the 13th, knowing very well what day it was. I didn't bring my pack with me. I don't ever smoke on the way to work or during work, just after. When work was done, I hit the mints that I had in my bag. I nibbled on them all the way home.

and then I slept for EVER it seemed. I think my body needed it. It is burnt and tired from the trip and then the long shift at work. So today will be a challenge for sure. I just made some tea and put some extra spice in it. I am going to go outside and relax (as much as I can) on the porch. I really like it outside, despite the association with smoking.

iams girl

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
La la lala lalala... chirp chirp chripchripchrip... Still haven't smoked.

Baby chicken dancin' into new life!
picture.php

Image courtesy VintageHolidayCrafts.com

Reaction score
That's a cute little chick. Thanks Iams Girl.

I made it through the weekend. I feel like that could have been the hardest part, not that I won't have other hard patches. Now that the work week is here, it will distract me somewhat. That and I am working on my very own website (A collection of my artwork) finally! I am having a hard time with food however. I went to the store and bought a bunch of healthy greens, I got some extra spices etc... but I am having terrible cravings for starchy and carby things. I went ahead and ordered pizza last night. I think I have come to the conclusion that I am going to inevitably gain some weight in this process, but it is better than the cigarette smoke in my lungs. Chipping away at the old block. Can work on the weight later, but if I think about it too much I will get too stressed and start smoking again.

I did a reading about it: Please guide me with my weight and quitting smoking. 12.2.5 > 64. It overwhelmed me at first. I would like some feedback. I see 64 as saying that I am in a spot where I am not settled in. Things are not in balance, elements are not working towards eachother. It's a time of confusion for me because of my coming off of cigarettes (it's very hard, it's like heroin). 64 to me is just saying that, sort of in an "of course" kind of way, I haven't made it thru this quitting process and it is going to affect my weight until I can cross the river and have the elements working together.

I also find the picture of 64 to be interesting (未). The unriped tree, immature. The reading I did before I quit, the one that I am to gain insite during this time from, 44.2.5 >53, which Tom sparked this image of a mountaineer climbing to clear air (very inspiring). I thought about making my way up to, or at least gazing at, the tree at the top of the mountain. This for me has great symbolizm. I have said before that I strongly associate Tree's with Bronchial Tubes, not just because of their physical similarities, but also in their functions. The Tree turning carbon dioxide to breathable air and the Lungs oxygenating the blood for the body. Both beautiful processes that seem to be a personal symbol in 44.2.5 >53. So the Tree remains a theme.

12.2.5 is then also very interesting.. This is where I wouldn't mind some feedback. I have to remember this reading is about my weight and quitting relationship. I feel like the two in the relationship are the elements that are (again like 64) not interacting. Perhaps I need to not associate them. I feel broadly and at first glance, this reading is saying don't worry about the weight, just go with it, eat like a slob for a little while. Don't get out there and run the weight off, you don't have the energy or mental stability right now. Right now, just quit smoking. Period. And I feel like Line 2 is reinforcing this. The wrap or package (包) to me is my stomach and the line implies, to me, to eat like an idiot :D

Line 5 has sooo many symbols with it to me. The mulberry tree, I think it is a BEAUTIFUL Chinese character:
It holds so much .. something... to me... perhaps the word is Shen. Something is giving me all of these images and symbols in my head (I hope I'm not CRAZY). My Grandparents have Blueberry bushes, and myself and my cousin (the smoker talked about in previous posts), my dad and his brothers would all go out and pick from the bushes around July. One time my cousin had this bucket tied to his belt for picking. He had the bucket very full with delicious ripe blueberries and he was up on a ladder getting the top of a bush, when... yep... he fell. Of course the bushes are not that high and he was fine, but the blueberries went everywhere. This story holds a bit of a don't reach too high for the unattainable type moral to it. In Line 5 there is a basket on a stand that is lost (其亡其亡). At least this is my interpretation of this repeated part of the line. What does this all mean?! :)

I might pick up some berries at the store. I like to get literal...
definitely not going "picking" tho.. haha​

Also though, does anyone know about the fastening to the mulberry tree??​

I am almost seeing this man: leaning against the tree, instead of climbing it.. the fruit isn't ripe anyways, and it just fastens the bucket to the tree for any fruits that drop, but he doesn't himself do any work like climbing or picking.

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
you can deal with the weight later...and anyway most people only put a little bit on...its not like you will suddenly get HUGE...and anyway when you have stopped smoking you will want to run around a bit more.

Please don't let the thought of weight gain stress you and stop you quitting....you will look prettier anyway as you said earlier it makes your hair and skin softer when you stop smoking

Quitting cigarettes is very hard for most people....I mean it is a big deal. I don't want you to get stressed because of pre occupation with weight.

When I quit I accepted I was going to gain some weight through eating more ...plus smoking makes your digestion move fast, speeds your metabolism so when you stop smoking what food you do eat will kind of be processed better rather than shooting straight out the other end :rolleyes: A little bit of padding to your curves won't kill you, smoking will...and anyway some weight gain can make you look a whole lot better in a push up bra ;)

Curvaceous Bootilicious Courteney ;)

You can't do it all at once. I quit smoking first and dealt with the bit of weight gain a few months later. I didn't gain very much just a few pounds so it wasn't so hard to lose it since its easier to excersize once you have your breath back

:D

BTW you are remembering to treat yourself to nice things to wear etc with the money you saved from smoking right ? So if you do have a slightly bigger tummy you can buy a really nice floaty top to cover it up....oh and a nice sexy bra to accomodate slighly more ample cleavage. Turn more flesh to your advantage !

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
.....er yes thats what 12.5 was saying 'tie it to a mulberry bush' translates as 'buy a new bra'. You see the uplift automatically creates the appearance of a slimmer waistline. Yes that must be what the 12,5 is about :D

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).