...life can be translucent

Menu

Gender Association

Reaction score
It seems the right part was originally a picture of lightning. Meaning: spirit, electricity. The spirits of the ancestors also live in the earth, so the earth is filled with mysterious spirits which have power over good and bad fortune. And don't forget this huge power of fertility. How is it possible that a tiny seed grows into a huge tree? The earth has mighty powers.

Another interpretation is a picture of two hands, expanding something, which gives as meaning "to expand". Earth and expand: the wide space of the earth where all living creatures dwell.

Hi LiSe,

Thanks for sharing your insight. There is so much going on in the roots of the tree that we don't even see :). It would be easy to look at a tree and never mentally dig at the beauty below.

What you said about the earth having spirits, it makes me think about how energy companies are starting to drill horizontally into the earth for gas (not the most pleasant of thoughts). This drilling is called 'fracking' or 'hydraulic fracturing'. I guess they have been doing this for years, but now it is becoming larger and larger and it is currently in the works right where I live. There is a bunch of money in offering up your land to be drilled on, and all the land owner's see is dollar signs when making the agreement. You can imagine, the horizontal drilling naturally affects the flora and fauna of the area as well as the water supply. Not only are they drilling obtrusively into the earth, but they are pumping in chemicals to induce what they desire. It's really upsetting. Not to have a negative outlook, but I feel like the spirits of the earth are going to have to speak back to this. :cool:

About Harmen ordering Chinese books by phone, there is a lot of encouragement in that. Thanks :hug:.

Take care,
AQ

Reaction score
I think neither is 100% this or that, but one is rather predisposed toward one or the other, and that predisposition is what brings out the glory of its opposite, the way night brings out the glory and visibility of the stars and planets. Even there, opposites within another paradigm can at times stand equally side by side, the way Venus and Jupiter appeared to have intercourse in the western sky last night.

Hi Bruce,

Just so you know, I was wondering where you were at and at one point asked Hilary about your whereabouts. I was going to forward something to you that made me think of you. It was from the thread you had started a couple of years ago called Graphic Images of Yi or something like that. And guess what? That is all I remember about it!:( :D I was gathering up the photos from the thread and came across something but I don't remember what. When I remember I will let you know :rofl:.

About what you said above, I read somewhere.. I think in Hua-Ching Ni's translation of Yijing.. that pure Yin and pure Yang don't exist. This made a lot of sense to me, like you said, nothing is 100% one thing. This applies to Qian and Kun just the same. In the reading, I think it was somewhere in the huge section of the book before the translation, it said that things are only considered Yin or Yang in comparision to something else. And even then, it is first off subject to change, and second off, not purely one or the other. I am female but possess qualities of Qian for sure. How much Yang/Qian might be something I need to experiment with. Truth is, the spirits of Heaven are inside of everything. And nothing, not even a block of wood can avoid being receptive to things.

Take care,
AQ

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hi AQ,

I whimsically moved those Yi images over to Picasa and deleted them unthinkingly from Photobucket, which also removed them from that thread. However LiSe has left those images and short sayings on her server, which can be found here for future reference. Maybe it will jog your original thought or question.

I think you've put it very well, about neither being 100% one or the other. Whether one uses the yin/yang image with black having the seed of white and white having the seed of black, or our physiological ovotestes containing both ovarian and testicular tissue, or using the broad brush stroke of simply saying one can not exist without the other, the fact is that this world is a fabric of opposites.

Then there is what I find to be a particularly playful idea, that a single entity may function as predominantly yang in one activity, and in another activity function as predominantly yin, without there being a hint of contradiction or anomaly. And not only we humans but in regards to all matter, even thought, and all matters of cosmology. We tend to restrict parallel universes to contemporary quantum context, but in fact they are everywhere plain and obvious. We just don't often see it that way. "For the kingdom of Heaven (1) is spread upon all the Earth (2) and men do not see it." Gospel of Thomas

I also really like Wilhelm's comment in Kun 2.2: "The Receptive accommodates
itself to the qualities of the Creative and makes them its own." Thus does the recipient of the creative become itself creative.

Brucester

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I was upset the images you posted were gone.

I think you've put it very well, about neither being 100% one or the other. Whether one uses the yin/yang image with black having the seed of white and white having the seed of black, or our physiological ovotestes containing both ovarian and testicular tissue, or using the broad brush stroke of simply saying one can not exist without the other, the fact is that this world is a fabric of opposites
Taijitu touche :D

leandroscardoso

visitor
Reaction score
masculine should be feminine and the contrary

for me the masculine family members refer more to femininity and the feminine members to masculinity. The idea is pretty obvious: the majority of the lines of certain type gives the characteristic of that trigram. Of course this don't mean the actual use is wrong, just a different point of view, maybe I explain both of them, and a third that i have, in one of my next videos.

charly

visitor
Reaction score
... a single entity may function as predominantly yang in one activity, and in another activity function as predominantly yin, without there being a hint of contradiction or anomaly. And not only we humans but in regards to all matter, even thought, and all matters of cosmology. We tend to restrict parallel universes to contemporary quantum context, but in fact they are everywhere plain and obvious. We just don't often see it that way. "For the kingdom of Heaven (1) is spread upon all the Earth (2) and men do not see it." Gospel of Thomas
Hi, Bruce:

Like it very much!

In an electric circuit a point can be positive with respect to a second point and negative with respect to a third. All's relative.

Also like the quote of Thomas more than the one of Wilhelm.

QIAN and KUN are not so old characters, but composites each of two elder characters with many bone and bronze variants.

qián: Yijing or Bagua divinatory sign / warming principle of the sun / penetrating and fertilizing / heavenly generative principle (male) /// Gan: to dry /dried / sundried / exhausted // to do it / to f_ck /
Variants: gàn, hán: trunk of tree or of human body. [gàn] sunrise; dawn. gan: a shield / to knock agains / to violate // river bank // rod / pole / flagpole /
Components: see LiSe.

kūn: Yijing or Bagua divinatory sign / earthly fecundity principle (female) of Soil or Lands // compliance / obedience /
Components:
tu3 : earth / soil / land / territory / domain // local / native / indigenous // unrefined / unenlightened / rustic /
shen1:the ninth of the Twelve Terrestrial Branches // to appeal / to plead / to state / to set forth / to explain / to explicate // to stretch / to extend / to expand // to inculcate (especially repeatedly /

Looking at the components, I believe that QIAN can be read as «SUN PERVADES» and KUN as «EARTH STRETCHES» being both actors of a SACRED MARRIAGE.

There are many suns in the universe, but for us, the only that matters is the OURS. The only land and territory we have is the EARTH. Sun and Earth are fated lovers. All the other depends of Sun and Earth MARRIAGE.

All the best,

Charly

Last edited:

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hi Charly,

It's funny that you mention a circuit because it's precisely the image I had in mind. Specifically an electric guitar circuit or system. It begins with passive magnetic poles, wrapped many times in wire to magnify the magnetic charge*. The guitar doesn't use a male connector but a female connector, which another male connector plugs into, which goes to the effects pedals or rack, plugging male into female, out of one with a female, into the next with a female, connected by a cord with two males (which contains zero electric charge); then out of a female via another powerless male/male cord, into the preamplifier through a female, through the preamp circuit, buffered or boosted by vacuum tubes with male connectors, to the output power via female connectors, out through female connectors to the speaker, or else hardwired directly to the speakers. The power amp circuit itself plugs into the electrical wall outlet, which is a female connector. So there's all this power being transmitted through female inputs, not through the almighty phallic prong of a male plug or jack. The male end or jack is the receptive element, not the creative. I find that to be a funny and graphic illustration, which is philosophically backwards from the archetypal, or perhaps just stereotypical idea of where power comes from and where it goes to, and so forth. Even my toaster is female. haha!

So when using examples of qián and kūn symbolically, I think we must be careful not to get carried away with narrow ideas of how they function in only one way, direction or purpose, and give greater thought to where energy is really generated from.

In the Kundalini Yoga chakra (cakra) system, the coiled serpent is considered the Goddess of Nature, and is only wrapped around the male lingam when at the very base [of nature], *in much the same way as the wires are wrapped around the magnetic poles of a passive guitar pickup, and from there continues her journey through our chakra circuitry.

Beside all this, there would be no qián if kūn had not been a space for it all to exist.

charly

visitor
Reaction score
... The male end or jack is the receptive element, not the creative. I find that to be a funny and graphic illustration, which is philosophically backwards from the archetypal, or perhaps just stereotypical idea of where power comes from and where it goes to, and so forth...
Hi, Bruce:

Of course, all electric power suppliers are female. Maybe it happens with energy in general. Who said that men were no receptive had not a MOUTH? It happens not only with mammals, there are bugs, birds and even fishes that are female dependent.

That´s why the Changes said: THE GIRL IS POWERFUL, don´t try to surpass with her or will end surpassed.

Yours,

Charly

charly

visitor
Reaction score
:rofl:I decided a long time ago that my car was a dude. A very cool dude. He's a stick shift. :D

Of course, cars are male. To park the car is almost obscene, and I have some reminiscence of the Changes saying it.

Better keep your car short, one never know what passes for his mind.

All the best .

Charly

Reaction score
My car is short. It's a compact Honda. And although I said I'd like the tall basketball player, in reality I have a thing for short men. :D

charly

visitor
Reaction score
Hmmm...

I continue thinking that those guys are not entirely reliable!

6a00d8341bfb1653ef015431fcacdb970c-pi

Source: http://blogs.elpais.com/la-novia-de-papa/2011/05/cars.html

Ch.

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hmmm...

I continue thinking that those guys are not entirely reliable!

6a00d8341bfb1653ef015431fcacdb970c-pi

Source: http://blogs.elpais.com/la-novia-de-papa/2011/05/cars.html

Ch.

That stoned VW bus sure looks familiar. Mine was blue with a giant band-aid across a dent in the front, stick-on flowers across the sides. It got around a lot, from Sri Swami Satchidananda retreats to weekend camping trips to John Lennon recording session to trips in ether realms. Pretty sure it flew as well as rode on tires. I don't quite remember.

Reaction score
:rofl: it is probably a blur

I had a boyfriend that looked like the brown tow truck. we were stuck in ditches all of the time. mainly me, but he couldn't help me out of them. ... i loved his teeth anyways.

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
This one's for my friend, Charly. It's taking 23 too far!

gamaniak_gifs-vrac-15_15.gif

charly

visitor
Reaction score
This one's for my friend, Charly. It's taking 23 too far!
Bruce, my friend:

H.23 says:

STRIPPING: UNPROFITABLE IF HAVING TO GO FAR.
Say, if the occasion is favorable, remain here and now.
What should be the profit if being far?

Or else: do not begin a trip without enough clothing.

STRIPPING (BO) is a hexagram with:

• LOVING CONCUBINES (aka people from the «palace» / court ladies making «favors»),
  • BROKEN BEDS (maybe too hot lovers caused it),
  • RIPE UNEATEN FRUITS (carpe diem, ask Brad),
  • NOBLES THAT GET VEHICLES (where to get in) and
  • SMALL MEN EXPLOITED UNTIL EXHAUSTION (that´s the fate of the «little brother»)

Even Wilhelm maybe believed that H.23 was about VENAL LOVE!

Thus those above can ensure their position
Only by giving generously to those below.

Wilhelm/Baynes

Who is taking H.23 too far?

All the best,

Charly

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
Who is taking H.23 too far?

Personally, I've always been fond of 23: getting beneath the skin of things, or the feelings beneath the words, kun beneath ken. Kind of the opposite of 26, where the mind is beneath the words. Strip the mind, give feelings her due. The words will always still be there.

Reaction score
It's really intricate how feelings, thoughts, words and images play with each other. They build off of one another in all directions.

Feelings can easily spark words into existence, especially curse words or more abstract sounds of laughter :D. "Giv[ing] feelings her due", could be saying "let it all out". If feelings flow, usually so do images, ideas, thoughts, change etc. Words are images, symbols of script formed into sounds, to us humans. We subconsciously file them and bring them up for use when the right feeling pushes (depending on how you are wired).

On the flip side, I like instruction manuals. I feel like they actually strip the feelings from the words so that I can pay attention properly. But, I like the ones with pictures. :D I feel like pictures paired with words makes for a perfect match for thorough understanding. (or do we need the feelings to completely understand??;))

This is from Luis in a past Thread, I hope he doesn't mind me plucking and reviving it. It fits in somewhere inside of my gibberish:
Good point. That's why is so important to spend "personal" time with the Yijing and why the querent must contemplate the answers him/herself. I'd like to quote something from Wang Bi (comes from Richard Lynn's translation):
Images are the means to express ideas, and words are the means to explain the images, To yield up ideas completely, there is nothing better that the images, and to yield up the meaning of the images, there is nothing better than words. The words are generated by the images, thus one can ponder the words and so observe what the images are. The images are generated by ideas, thus one can ponder the images and so observe what the ideas are. The ideas are yielded up completely by the images, and the images are made explicit by the words.

Since the words are the means to explain the images, once one gets the images, he forgets the words, and, since the images are the means to allow us to concentrate on the ideas, once one gets the ideas, he forgets the images. Similarly, "the rabbit snare exists for the sake of the rabbit; once one gets the rabbit, he forgets the snare. And the fish trap exists for the sake of the fish; once one gets the fish, he forgets the trap." If this is so, then the words are snares for the images, and the images are traps for the ideas... Getting the ideas is in fact a matter of forgetting the images, and getting the images is in fact a matter of forgetting the words. Thus, although the images were established in order to yield up ideas completely, as images they may be forgotten. Although the three lines [representing Heaven, Earth, and Man] were doubled in order to yield up all the innate tendencies of things, as strokes they may be forgotten.

Oh, and I am going to strip my mind of that image that Bruce posted now... goodbye. :D

-Courtney
AQ

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
Hi Courtney,

Giving feelings her due may in some cases mean letting it all hang out, but that is not how I intended the meaning of 'her due'. Only that feelings ought not always be ignored or discarded in favor of the intellect. Cognition is as the dance between both feelings and thinking, each deserves their due, and we can strip one with the other.

Also, when I say I'm fond of 23, that doesn't say I think 23 is always best or easy, unless one enjoys sleeping on the floor rather than on a bed with legs. However, even stripping ones resting place with powerful feelings can reveal underlying causes which words and reason alone can't know about. It would be like having the bed, but no soul to lie down to rest in the bed. And to run on feelings only allows no thinking to decipher what those feelings are saying.

I think that all or nothing is never a good answer or solution in itself, and only cooperation of opposites provide the balance which allows being fully awake and being emotionally at ease, and being emotionally at ease allows the mind to be free and creative, rather than bound up in fetters of emotionalism.

So many renditions of Yi authors inhibit the act of doing or acting on emotions, but I believe this is often one sided thinking and terribly restrictive. Take 53.3 for example. It's typically interpreted as negative: the gander loses his way by going out and not returning, and the goose is either childless or must be a single mother. However, though this may sometimes be the case, it can be interpreted as to not go out at all, and to not venture out is to not fully live nor to find out. In Indian myth, the sons go out to find answers to great mysteries, but are warned not to go to the north. So which way do they go? To the north! Because that is the only way to find out what hasn't yet been discovered, the way of danger and threat of death. That is the way of the warrior. Not everything that goes out returns, not every creative act is noticed or admired or comes to full term completion, not every question is answered the way we might like, but that doesn't mean that one shouldn't go out. Sometimes progress means knowing where the solution is not, and why.

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
Thanks, Courtney.

I'm not suggesting it's always good to run out after every whim or possibility, I just don't like the usual over emphasis placed on the negatives of not doing unless everything seems perfect; and really, things are almost never perfect anyway, which is another point of disappointment from false expectations (robbers), and then confusion and discouragement. I think people with good sense who never use the Yi are sometimes more level headed about such things than we yiheads because we get too hung up in doing only the right thing, and wind up expecting that to mean no troubles or obstacles, and then are disappointed when things don't turn out to be all roses. Living life, for goodness sake, is the point of living. Not walking some perfect path based on doing only what's hypothetically theoretically right, as though only anal people get to heaven :rofl:.

Reaction score
Haha. Yes, good point! This makes me think of when I started getting into Chakras, and through a bunch of self analysis I figured out my Chakras were ALL kinds of messed up. I would analyze people I knew that knew nothing of the system and to my amazement, their Chakras were spinning quite well :). Another thing is that us Yiheads, chuckle, or maybe just some of the Yiheads, come from a place, yes, that needs improvement. I really think that the ACT of self-betterment is the most important part. Not so much the goal, but the will to want to. Life becomes very rich and meaningful once you start looking at things from different angles for improvement. I have some dear friends that are just naturally gifted it life :D. They just succeed. Period. I am not that fortunate... or am I?? :)

I have this image in my head, probably posted about it before I think, about every aspect of life being separated into a knob on an equalizer. The equalizer board is of course the bigger picture that unifies the separation. Each knob is set in the - or the +, or maybe right in the middle. I feel like starting off most of my knobs were all turned to one side or the other. From the start at birth I think. I had heart surgery when I was 3 years old from a minor glitch that started at birth, my mom took me to a priest because she thought I was possessed at age 5.. the list goes on.

I really don't want all of the knobs to be in the center, but I would say from personal experience, when you change a knob from one side to the other, that is the only way to really understand the full scope of the knob. Those people who have their knobs already preset to the middle, they do not understand the extremes.

I wouldn't mind eventually retiring to the mountains with my knobs in check, but for now I am doing some serious tweaking.

About perfection, it might only exist in the bigger picture of things. All the details of imperfection, that is reality and also the spice of life.

Reaction score
Another thought, I don't personally think that finding complete order is best for me, but finding peace and where I feel comfortable is of importance.

meng

(deceased)
Reaction score
That's an interesting equalizer knobs analogy. Seems also like an interactive parametric equalizer, where each frequency adjustment effects the relative affect of the others, particularly those directly closest to it. That ads many more variables but is much more complex to find and keep the balance that suits a given individual. I've found parametric EQ's to be quite maddening, and always avoid them where possible. Though they are a tweaker's dream.

Parametric equalizers are multi-band variable equalizers which allow users to control the three primary parameters: amplitude, center frequency and bandwidth. The amplitude of each band can be controlled, and the center frequency can be shifted, and bandwidth ("Q") can be widened or narrowed. Parametric equalizers are capable of making much more precise adjustments to sound than other equalizers, and are commonly used in sound recording and live sound reinforcement. Parametric equalizers are also sold as standalone outboard gear units. ~ Wiki

The upper is the plain filter EQ, below is the much more complex parametric EQ.
Equaliser-section.jpg

Being a sound and gear geek, I love this analogy of self-adjustment, functionally possible through use of the Yijing. :bows:

Reaction score
Oh yeah, good point about them interacting and affecting each other. Nothing is really separate and non effected. And I am a tweaker and find this picture makes me excited.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).