...life can be translucent

Menu

dropping a course ?

M

maremaria

Hi all,

I’ld like to hear your thoughts about some readings I got.

It has to do with a drawing class I attend and thinking of quitting. The good thing is that its close to my home, almost free ( a charge of 5euros for the whole session ) and very convenient in terms of time.

What I don’t like is the work is done there. We are 9 people and 6 of them they just copy paintings from books and I’m the only one that wants to learn how to “see” colors and put them on the paper. ( the other two people use pencil and coal ). The teacher tries to find a balance but to me seems not enough. So every time , after the end of the lesson , I leave with an empty feeling. She is paid from the mayor office and its normal that she tries to keep a low profile and keep her job. There are those weird dynamics in such programs.

Also there is no exchange at all. It seems that is forbidden to make any comments about others work ( even positive, lol). From words I have heard here and there must be some misunderstandings or fights in the past. ( I enrolled after 1 ½ months after the course started). In the past I was attending to some writing classes and with respect to the other’s effort constructive comments was a must. This is how one learns, imo.

So, I asked Yi

1. What if I quit? 51.1.2 > 40

There is a sense of release at both hex and it makes sense to me because I go there with a heavy heart and I feel I force too much myself to do something that deep down I can’t find any joy.

Another view is to release my self from those expectations .

2. What if I keep going there ? 45.1.2.3.6 >1

The question behind the question is to find a reason, I don’t see now, to stay. How I can benefit from this class

Yi’s answer troubles me a lot. Funny when you ask for a group and get 45 for an answer, lol. And what bring this specific group together a creative expression.
At a first glance reading the lines especially LiSe’ commentaries, I hear Yi telling me “make it work” :rolleyes:

What is your impression re those readings. Am I missing something ? How would you read it ?

Thanks in advance
Maria

Last edited:
M

maremaria

yes, the first reading is like a green light to quit. We stop leasson before Easter and although I should be happy to return I feel a little unwilling to go.

The second reading confuses me. 45.3 is how you said it. Read wiki too.
but 45.6 talks of taking action, complain, express my feeling and this is why i said "make it work". Feels like Yi throw the question back to me and ask me If I want to use my energy to make it work

Thanks Trojan

Reaction score
I would say go with your gut and maybe stop going if it bothers you to go. If it eats at you and makes you feel the opposite of growth, don't go. BUUUT, if you can go and get past that, and give the little bits that you have to the class, you should stick with it. Perhaps those other people could learn a little from you. Even tho you aren't teaching the class and these people are not really into the class in the depth you are, a little bit of artist enthusiasm might seep into them. It might strengthen you to endure the class and learn stuff solely about yourself. Can you zone out in the class and have a meaningful time with your art? If you cannot reach doing this I would quit. This is just what came to mind when I was reading the Hexagrams, but there are specific lines that say clues.....

ABOUT QUITING:
51 - this to me is saying that there is a eb and flow of goodtimes and bad. ups and downs in the class but mostly downs due to other peoples efforts. this would be why you'd want to quit.

.1 - this line seems to be talking about if you wouldn't quit or in the beginning when you first started the class and how possibly you saw yourself as an exception to the class. Even tho you are different from the others in the class (that being the dissadvantage) you are the one truely gaining from it (what is better in the longrun)

.2 - this lines says to me that it is talking about your heart. I too have felt a heaviness and it is quite possibly the worst thing there could ever be. I think this line is saying (and I quote Wilhelm) "Resistance would be contrary to the movement of the time and
for this reason unsuccessful." So resistance against the way the class day is forming would be unhealthy. It would only leave you heavy.

I hate to quote too much but ...

"Therefore he must simply retreat to heights
inaccessible to the threatening forces of danger. He must accept his loss of
property without worrying too much about it. When the time of shock and
upheaval that has robbed him of his possessions has passed, he will get them
back again without going in pursuit of them."

-this could go either way. the retreat could be momentary, until you get your inner peace back. Like if you go to the next class and everything is fine.
OR it could mean, retreat as in quitting. (???)

40 - this shows the tension loosening. how is this achieved? quitting would releive you of pressure of your heavy heart.

So I think the Yi is saying that if you quit, it will simply ease your heart.
But if you stay.......

ABOUT STAYING:
45 - This is directly saying that if furthers you to stay and gather in this group. "Thus the superior man renews his weapons In order to meet the unforeseen." I think this would say that if you strengthen yourself and make the time of benefit for you, it can only be positive to stay.

.1 - this line I think is talking about agaiin the eb and flow of good and bad times in the class and also it is talking about the teacher and how much you are adhering or following his or her lead. It says it would further you to do so in wilhelm. This could also be talking about when you first joined.

.2 - "There are secret forces at work, leading together those who belong
together." :)

.3 - this line seems to be talking about your isolation from the group and how if you would sort of ease your way into the center by connecting with someone close to the middle, you would be successful in joining. When I say joining, I know your already in the group, just more connected with them as people I guess I mean.

.6 - this is saying that you should let your emotions regarding the group out and perhaps it will knock some sense into them. If this is something you can do, I would. See how it goes and if it goes poorly, stop going.

1 - this says to me that if you did stick with the class, it would be hard but beneficial in the long run or the big picture of things.

Let me know if this helps Maria. Either way that you decide or go... protect your beautiful heart! :)

Last edited:
M

maremaria

I missed the 45.6....but I never really found 45.6 to kind of shift anything ? Often i find its about expressing sadness but not in a way that affects anyone else

oh, that good :rolleyes:, lol

I can't recall any past experience with 45.6. I think its time to start keeping a journal .

Last edited:
M

maremaria

AQ, thanks for your response.

I need some more time to contemplate on the not quiting thing. :)

Reaction score
I just really like the idea of 45.2. really speaks to me. But there are the other lines to consider. (totally just what I am drawn to) You should let me know what you decide.

Peace

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
Does this circumstance account for the darkness in these pictures?

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?t=9788&page=29
message #286

It may be that there is an oppressive silence in you art class because the instructor is shy and afraid of losing control if discussion is encouraged. Since art is an expression of self (style is the person), care is needed when making comments. I refuse to comment on the work of my sister the florist even when she asks, because her judgment in art is better than mine, and tastes differ. Perhaps you could break the ice (51>40) by finding out about your instructor's art work and subtly referring to it. If communication is impossible and the situation is depressing, leaving may be the only recourse.

M

maremaria

Does this circumstance account for the darkness in these pictures?

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?t=9788&page=29
message #286

Smiling because on my way to home, I was thinking about my 54 image. This and the 38 you bring here are the only ones that are “new” . The others I have post and those I’m still working are “old “ images in my sketch book or in my mind. I was thinking of 54 because I feel that way regarding the class, but 38 skip my attention. Yes Pocossin! this is exactly the “silence” expressed as darkness in the class. Very good and very helpful observation. It was in front of my eyes and I couldn’t see it. Thank you !!!

Before opening my computer, I called a friend I that I met in another class which was the opposite of the current one. She told me that the class she is now is so and so and we recalled those old times. She said , and I agreed , that is something one can’t meet every time. There was a chemistry between us that boost you to try harder , to be better in a very relaxed way though. It was fun. We were a team, something I’m missing now. Now it feels we are just people under the same roof and probably other feel like I do.

AQ, thanks for pointing 45.2. I think I overlook it a bit. Perhaps because of 45.3.

So, I think I’ll postpone my exit for awhile, trying to find a balance between line 2 and 3 and see how things will go. They are not bad persons at all, on the contrary. And I admire them because some of them are about 55-60 years old and they start learning new things. I had promised them to bring in class some mandalas I have made in the past . Also I’ll talk to my teacher some thing I need to show me and let her decide if she will do it seperetaly or as a part of the lesson.

Trojan, AQ , and Pocossin, thank you very much for your help. I still need to study more my readings but I think you shade a lot of light.

A special “thank you” for you Pocossin, because I was a little harsh to myself for not keeping an order to the drawings I work. 38 and 54 wanted to be heard and now I can understand why.

Maria

M

maremaria

Kind of feedback

Still going to that class and somehow its better. Not a radical change, just after talking with some people I realized I was expecting more than that kind of class, with the specific structure can give me.

Hex 1 puzzled me a lot and was trying to imagine the dragon to see if has something to say to me, and I felt it chained. I felt its urge to go out but this was not possible.

Anyway, looking on the net for some info I needed , I found THE site, lol. (45.2 ?)It’s a forum where you can find everything. Lessons, techniques, lots of people using different medias, and a place you can post your WIP (work in progress) and get lots of feedback.

My initial interpretation of the 45>1 reading was “make it wok” and combining those two groups , the class and the forum, I have created another group. It works better now :)

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).