...life can be translucent

Menu

Jobs in China - help - hex 49 and hex 5.4,5 > 34

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
Hello,

Little job help. Just would appreciate instant impressions of a couple of readings done online just now. I do prefer tossing the coins because I think the time that takes gives your thoughts a chance to also consider the situation. So I will also probably do that.

I have almost definitely decided to take a job in Suzhou, China, but have been offered another for slightly better pay, more challenging but perhaps better teaching with smaller classes and a mix of kindergarten and primary which might be a relief from only kindergarten, more hours, but in a smaller town called Wuxi (on Lake Tai which is apparently a v beautiful little town with canals, but probably without the mod-cons/westernised area of Suzhou which I will appreciate if I'm there for a year (english bookshops and cinemas etc.) but suzhou is only 39 miles away (which in China terms is absolutely nothing - now I think 8 hours on a train to get somewhere is fine! North to South can be an over 24 hour train journey but has to be done to see the country! Overnight sleeper trains are really good though.)

New position in Wuxi?
Hex 49

Yes it would be a radical change as I did feel set on Suzhou (in a school that has offered me a place teaching only kindergartners and only for 15 hours a week and short classes, so I could combine with a bit of freelance work). But hex 49 encourages a revolution - could it be saying shed this idea like a non-suitable skin? Or change direction towards this job?

I guess working as a teacher for a year would really determine whether I have sufficient teaching skills. And teaching primary is slightly more challenging of course, but also sometimes easier as they catch on quicker and have more developed characters which makes for more fun exchanges. But then I haven't experienced teaching kindergarten... Anyone with experience in this area?

Original offer in Suzhou?
5.4,5 > 34

Hmm.... Maybe this is saying not to doubt this offer and muddy it? Or that I am waiting in an unsitable place? (5.4) Or to enjoy myself waiting for my time there to begin in Sept? Or to enjoy weighing my options and not take action yet? (5.5) Could 34 be saying this job offers great power? Or is this about misdirected energy? This job offers slightly less pay, but I think more freedom in terms of being able to do other work. And of course be in a big city. But that might encourage over spending... and maybe Wuxi would be a more Chinese experience? Plus I could get away on the weekends... Hmm.

What are your impressions please?

Thanks in advance
:):bows:

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
Personally I would go with Suzhou. Do the job that you know how to do.

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
Well the job I know how to do is more the job in Wuxi I think, as I have been teaching primary (grade 3) and just older than kindergarten (grade 2) age so far, although I suppose I could get older still in Wuxi (up to grade 6) whereas the job in Suzhou is teaching only kindergartners - 20 per class in short bursts of 20 and 40 minutes - which would be a new experience...

Was there anything from the readings that made you say Suzhou? Which is more favourable - hex 49 or hex 5 and 34 combined?

:bows:

gato

visitor
Reaction score
the mother and the father of yi are in China. you are in China. yet you seek answers here.
if i were you I would abuse every chinese "fortune teller" that cross my path.

tigerintheboat

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Waiting

Original offer in Suzhou?
5.4,5 > 34
Line 5.4 bothers me; it indicates a potential bad situation that you will need to extricate yourself from. Hexagram 5 and particularly Line 5 has to do with Waiting Around, Eating and Drinking, while waiting for something to happen. This does not sound like a happy and fulfilling job prospect, but perhaps a difficult job, where you will endure a difficult situation, and you can wait peacefully or "in blood", but either way you have to wait it out.

I say choose a third option altogether (wait for it, eating and drinking peacefully) unless the radical change of kindergarten and the shorter schedule is what you want.

Tiger

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
Hello,

Think I may have confused things. The job in Wuxi would be a radical change from my intention to go with the job in Suzhou. The actual job itself would be what I'm used to - teaching the same grade I am now (primary 8-11 year olds). Whereas the one in Suzhou would be kindergarten, with whom I have no experience. So I am going for the one in Wuxi.

So 5.4,5 bodes kind of ill. 49 I've heard is good if you're thinking of a change and looking for confirmation, but bad if you're thinking of staying on the same course...

So in that light it seems to be saying this would be a good change/fresh start!
I'll be talking to the head of the school tomorrow so we'll see what they say...

:bows: Thanks

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
Don't know what to do. I've now left China (tears! I had the best time with some of the best people I've ever met :)
The job in Wuxi fell through. The job in Suzhou is still on offer but they need an answer today. I lack conviction. But the later I leave it, the fewer positions for sept there'll be. And I was originally keen on this one. Just feel slightly ambivalent again! Plus it's a year committment. But I'm pretty sure I want to return to China, and sure I don't want to stay at home for too long... but... there's still a but in my mind.
I asked the iching should I commit?

Hex 13 unchanging

Get out there and join in again? A school is definitely a community.
The pay is also not bad, especially considering the part-time hours meaning I can do other things too...

If anyone has any instincts let me know - I know this can only be my decision though :S

:bows:

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
Well I have just taken the suzhou plunge. It does sound like a great place to live - lots of expats, developed, arty, mod cons, but also has preserved traditions with the old town with the canals and gardens. When I was there, more than anywhere else in china I felt that it was china. Also it'll be fun to teach kindergarten and I will be more prepared this time round after my teaching experience just completed! And you get a chance to play the clown for a portion of your day which can be fun :)

I hope it'll be ok! I don't like that decisions as you get older have more long-term impact!

em ching

visitor
Reaction score
sometimes it's not important which way you jump. Just that you jump.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).