...life can be translucent

Menu

21 and 35.4 finding a job

twilightshadow

visitor
Reaction score
I have been an unemployed teacher for over a year now. I apply for every position that becomes available in my county and have recently branched out to a neighboring county but cant seem to make headway. I have worked 2 years in different schools, actually in different states, teaching English to 8th and 9th grade. I asked:

What do I need to do to secure a teaching position? 21 unchanging

Ive been using Lise a lot lately. I used to use numerous resources, but discovered that I just ended up with confusing and sometimes conflicting responses, so I narrowed it down to looking at Lise and occasionally Wilhelm and then trying to meditate on the response to see how it answers the question. I also look up previous discussions in the shared readings section here. 21 on Lises talks about becoming a Shaman, which I couldnt make sense of with my question, but a previous discussion of 21 here talked about judgement being mistranslated and maybe being closer to investigation. It made me wonder if 21 is pehaps about finding the root of the problem, figuring out what you need to bite through to succeed. Not sure if thats what it meant, but thought it might be a good question anyway, so asked:

Why am I having such a problem getting hired as a teacher? 35.4

I hate this line. There is so much disagreement on what it might mean, and it rarely makes sense to me, but looking at Lises translation, " Knowing a lot of things, but all just a little. Doing many things but not finishing one. Then there will never be any advance. Everything – a thing, a relation, your life – needs completion. A half-built house is no house, a half-lived life is no life" it seems to say something about knowing a little about a lot of different things and needing to focus on maybe being an expert in one subject instead. Not sure how that relates as I do specialize in English 7-12, though I am now trying to add a Science endorsement because I thought I would have more of a chance of getting hired if I could offer more than one subject, and Science teachers are in great demand. Could it just be referring to lack of experience in this case?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I desparately need a job as my unemployment is going to run out soon. Thanks for the help.

twilightshadow

visitor
Reaction score
One more, I then asked how to combat the problem presented in 35.4 and got 35. Using Lise again, " Prosperity does not arrive by itself, it visits the people with the right attitude. The one who always carries along arrows is probably the only one who comes home from a walk with a rabbit for dinner. The lord of Kang grasped the opportunity of a gift to breed a meadow full of horses. The first one who sees a gap in the market builds up the multinational.
Grasp the small chances, do not wait for the big one to arrive, stay alert with eyes and ears and hands ready, and a quiver filled with arrows" This would seem to say be alert for any possibility, even the smallest chance. If I had any connections in the district I would think it was saying to use the connections to get info about a job before it was posted, but I only know a few colleagues at my last school, and they are not well connected, but I do keep in touch with them. Again, any thoughts?

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
What do I need to do to secure a teaching position? 21 unchanging

****What can one say, except to keep trying so that's all you can do, unless you start your own school.

Why am I having such a problem getting hired as a teacher? 35.4

****The line talks about a "rat" type creature which can jump and run but is not qualified for more intricate or precise work, it knows the basics which are obviously not enough in the eyes of any potential school which you have been applying to, something is missing. Figure out what you are lacking in, experience is one as you have not worked for 2 years, but what is the other missing ingredient.

willowfox

Inactive
Reaction score
One more, I then asked how to combat the problem presented in 35.4 and got 35.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to purchase a serious I Ching book and not try to rely on the free translation that has been offered up on a site on the internet.

Hex 35 suggests the need for improvement in your qualifications, "the superior woman draws attention to herself by improving her standing".

You want to advance, get a job, you want to stand out from the crowd, then your resume needs to be brilliant.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
The reason the person advances in hexagram 35 is that he impresses the ones above and, at the same time, the ones below -- the students? -- are devoted to him.

Sometimes when we get 35.4 it can mean that the leadership above is making decisions in a rather jumpy and thoughtless way --- and we have to watch out for their bad decision-making. Have you ever seen a squirrel zigzagging across the grass on its way across a lawn? It doesn't proceed in a straightforward manner ...

In any case, 35.4 is a negative line. This, along with the hexagram 21 you received originally, seems to imply that there is some very real interference or obstacle that you are going to have to tackle head on. But before you can tackle it head on, you are going to have to identify what it is.

What or who exactly is standing in the way of your advancement? Is it something that you are doing? or lacking, as Willowfox said above? Do try to pinpoint what the obstacle is that needs to be bitten through.

twilightshadow

visitor
Reaction score
When I ask about obstacles to getting a position I get 34 unchanging which talks about staying within the established order. Im not sure how Im outside the est order. I taught a year in Florida, but the economy went safe so I moved to Tenn. I secured a position here on a temporary license, which meant my contract was only good for a year. The principal stated at my evalution he would rehire me, then the last day of school suddenly informed me he wasnt and denied he ever said he was, though he even wrote rehire on my evaluation. I went to the education association but they looked at the case and said because my contract was only for the year there was nothing they could do. Both years I have taught I have had some of the highest learning gains and highest test scores, and that is stated on my resume and in my cover letter. I also list that many of my colleagues at this school will recommend me. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to get anyone to write a written recommendation, but their names and phone numbers are on my resume, and I received emails recently from two of them stating they had filled out the online recommendation form for the adjacent county and given me glowing reports. As for improving my qualification there isnt much more I can do without more experience. I have all the required qualifications and then some, and I am currently adding to it by taking the science tests. MAybe it is just a thing of continuing perseverance until I reach a breakthrough and find someone willing to give me a chance.

twilightshadow

visitor
Reaction score
One more, asked how I could improve my qualifications, 19 unchanging. "The superior man is inexhaustable in his will to teach" Now thats just ironic.

peter2610

visitor
Reaction score
Given your circumstances, the I Ching answers you've received are somewhat puzzling. Hexegrams 19 and 34 are encouraging enough, especially Hex 34 which, with regard to 'obstacles' indicates that they will unravel - "The hedge opens, there is no entanglement." Hexagram 21 unchanging is problematical: it could refer to you not having penetrated to a clear understanding of previous readings on the same problem, in which case I would recommend looking through earlier readings to see if there's something you've missed; or it could indicate that there's something about the overall process that you haven't yet grasped.
Hex 35,4 > 23 could indicate that you're approaching this with a narrow or negative approach - that the problems referred to in your question will eventually be overcome - not tomorrow, but eventually. The resultant hexagram, 23, certainly addresses issues of disbelief in the universal process. The nuclear progression, Hex 39,3,5 > 2 could indicate turning back from your present outlook and an eventual change in perspective.

In order to get a better overall picture of your situation I would try to map out one or two areas. A question such as "Will I eventually secure a teaching position" should help establish where this is all going. "How should I best proceed in seeking a teaching position" should give you a good idea of the way forward.

Peter

Last edited:

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
What do I need to do to secure a teaching position?
21 > 21

☲ ☲
☳ ☳

Hexagram picture: Cangue

Overall judgment: Overcome your current confining situation by expanding your boundaries.

Text:

21J
Biting Through has success.
It is favorable to let justice be administered.

Have you attempted to find a position in a prison or reformatory school? And don't be confined to education. Be just to your abilities and don't wear the cangue of "I am only a teacher".

21I
Thunder and lightning:
The image of Biting Through.
Thus the kings of former times made firm the laws
Through clearly defined penalties.

Many states are cutting back on funding for education, so many worthy teachers are being oppressed, but there are still opportunities -- rural and inner city and the new charter schools. As a temporary measure, would you be willing to teach language to children in daycare? Or go back to school so you could teach in a community college?

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
One more, asked how I could improve my qualifications, 19 unchanging. "The superior man is inexhaustable in his will to teach" Now thats just ironic.

I'm of the opinion that sometimes when we get H19 unchanging, the IC is saying to us something like this: "Good question! Good line of questioning! Always feel free to ask on this subject!"

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Pay Attention to Propriety and Goodness

When I ask about obstacles to getting a position I get 34 unchanging which talks about staying within the established order.

It's something about your personal manner or mannerisms, I think-- You have to be extremely careful of not coming on with too much vitality and force. I know this sounds paradoxical, because teachers are expected to be very dynamic. But sometimes there's a fine line between what is wonderfully dynamic as opposed to being 'over the top,' as we say.

It's like you have too much vitality inside you for your own good, and this tends to cause you to overstep the boundaries of what other people consider proper behavior.

34 :: GREAT POWER

'when you receive this hexagram without change, you must devote yourself to establishing harmony between your Self and traditional ideals. Adhering to these ideals will center you, regardless of your opinions of conventional values.'
- R.L. Wing

It's like every little thing you say or do is seen and heard.

'Do not do anything that is not part of established policy....Maintain now a strictly traditional role....Pay special attention to propriety and goodness...'

Sometimes the difficulty could even be on the level of body language, too much gesturing with the hands, for example. A jittery or restless way of speaking? Standing too close to the other person when speaking to him, or putting your elbows on the table and leaning in too close to the other person when speaking -- these are examples of the sorts of things one has to watch out for. Being too bold. Also, thinking that it's okay to be late to appointments; that something like this is trivial and does not matter. Yet these little things will certainly matter a lot to other people.

twilightshadow

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. You have given me more to think about. I have been looking at other areas, its why Im trying to add science. I have also looked at tutoring and online teaching. I thought about going back to school, but a masters would take two years and cost money I dont have. There is lots of help for undergraduates, but almost nothing for graduates. I really need something thats going to increase my opportunities more quickly. Ginnie, your take on 34 was interesting. I havent even gotten any interviews, but maybe its something in my cover letter or resume that isnt presenting well. But lots to meditate on, thanks for the help guys.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
maybe its something in my cover letter or resume that isnt presenting well.

My advice: Pay a professional resume writer to review your resume. Well worth the investment, and you could learn a lot for the future, too!

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).