12.2.5 vs. 7.4

adarkana

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Contemplating a certain course of action, two readings:

a) result if I move forward - 12.2.5

b) result if I do nothing - 7.4

It would seem from this that either is acceptable, but I'm wondering if 12.2.5 is giving me a nudge.

icastes

visitor
Reaction score
You seem caught in bad circumstances. Your way is blocked if you want to move forward, while if you don't move you are still in a conflicted situation. Overall, 12 is just toilsome, and thus you won't go forward at all. Just sit still, this gua says. Even the moving lines here are not very auspicious. The transformed hexagram from 12.2,5 is 64, not yet fulfilled, and it warns not to move ahead until things have changed. The moment is not right. 7.4 is simply good to stay safe and sound. If you do nothing and stay in your camp, then you get 40, which is liberation, letting loose, deliverance. So, bet not not to do anything in both cases.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
With line 4 moving in hex 7, you decide not to act together with others or take some action right now. The result is that you are freed from the need to do anything at all right now. No error.

The other reading, 12.2.5 > 64, doesn't seem to leave you anywhere for your time and effort. I take it that you wish to make a new beginning?

adarkana

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
A new start would be desirable. I thought about this all day though & realize that isn't possible; there is nothing to be done at this stage. I was just looking for a technical loophole on a longstanding, 100% as-yet-unresolved problem. The oracle did not give it to me.

This was further confirmed by 25.5, which came at the end of this train of thought. I asked what would be the most productive approach to the problem at this time--I don't think the response could be any clearer.

Thanks very much for the comments. 12.5 always sort of stumps me with its whiff of promised improvement, but it'll have to be organic--not improvement that can be forced through contrived action on my part.

peter2610

visitor
Reaction score
12,2,5 > 64

Adarkana said:
I was just looking for a technical loophole on a longstanding, 100% as-yet-unresolved problem. The oracle did not give it to me.

But the I Ching is indicating that you are in the right place and that events will eventually resolve properly. 12,2 is simply telling you that creative non-action is called for - give time and space for the process of events to gradually unfold - "The standstill helps the great man to attain success." Try to avoid inner conflict on this issue (Zhong Gua Hex 6)
12,5 is to be read in relation to 12,2 - it indicates that, if you allow events to unfold, the standstill will eventually begin to give way. It isn't telling you to "give things a nudge" or do anything for the time being, just let it roll. The Zhi Gua, Hex 64, is indicating both your 'unsettled' state, and the fact that the process is not yet completed.

Your follow-up reading, 25,5 > 35, as you say, couldn't be clearer, and it fits perfectly with 12,2,5 > 64.
The parallel nuclear progression, Hex 53,1,6 > 63 also fits perfectly - allow time to bring this problem to completion. Try not to think of your situation as being 'stuck' - creative non-action is one of the most important skills we can use, it allows your correct path to unfold, but it's also one of the most difficult skills to acquire.

ginnie

visitor
Reaction score
Try not to think of your situation as being 'stuck' - creative non-action is one of the most important skills we can use, it allows your correct path to unfold, but it's also one of the most difficult skills to acquire.

Yeah, that's so true. The I Ching often is responding to the way we ourselves are seeing our situation and reflecting that back to us. Like Peter, I also would say to you never to see yourself as being 'stuck,' Adarkana. See yourself as lifting yourself above such 'stuck' thoughts every single day. In other words, all the 'action' really can take place within.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).