...life can be translucent

Menu

Hexagrams and feelings

cutiecat

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey L&G!

I was wondering if anyone can point put any book or a thread here in this forum that refers to some sort of correlation between individual hexagrams and the feelings/emotions or character traits they may represent?

Sorry if I'm re-inventing the wheel here.

I do realize that there may be certain overlaps and redundancies between hexes.

is anyone else interested in this aspect of Yi?

For instance, hex 23 for me is associated with the huge sense of loss.

May be not all of them have underlying emotions?

Thanks for any input on the subject.

-CC

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can point put any book or a thread here in this forum that refers to some sort of correlation between individual hexagrams and the feelings/emotions or character traits they may represent?

I don't know of any. The problem is that a single hexagram may have multiple meanings. King Wen (IMO) understood hexagram 23 as preparing (breaking apart) the soil for sowing. It is also correlative with the sign of the Snake, and a snake breaks apart (sheds its skin) in renewing itself. The Duke of Zhou who wrote the appended text considered it in terms of the royal bed. If these associations are considered, the hexagram would represent the joy of renewal and not just loss. Then too, some diviners define a hexagram in terms of personal experience or in terms of their favorite author.

Multiple meanings make beginning study of the Yi difficult, but they give interpretation richness and flexibility.

Sparhawk

One of those men your mother warned you about...
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hey L&G!

The Emotional I Ching

cutiecat

Inactive
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your posts and a link! You see for 23 is primarily a loss, a snake first looses the old skin and only then gets a new, I also have a book where it is called "Being in collapsing situation"
and how the royal bed breaks, for it's a loss that needs to be grieved to get to something new in terms of human emotions. But again may be I just empathically sense the person's emotion and it coincided with 23 in this case.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).