...life can be translucent

Menu

Poll: Your favorite I-Ching Book(s)

karinb

visitor
Reaction score
I searched to see if this poll already existed and couldn't find it but I was curious if there were some more books I should add to my library! If it does exist and you want to point me to it...or just go ahead and answer here! ;)
I rotate between Carol K Anthony, Brian Walker, and Sarah Dening (Everyday I-Ching). I've tried the Cleary Taoist I Ching, but personally find it difficult to understand.

What are your go-to translations/interpretations?

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
you need to get Hilarys new book of course,,,

Last edited:

soshin

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Wilhelm, Book of Changes, the godfather of the Yi simply my classic since I started from here and he got such a beautiful language - in my motherstongue, that is.
Karcher's Total Yijing,
LiSe's Book of Sun and Moon and
Hilarys Yi.
Those work best for me.

I did not got even anywhere close to the core of the other ones so I am hardly able to "judge" those. Would be a hubris anyway. :)

mary f

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my automatic procedure, basic package for a quick comprehension. First translation I run to is Wilhelm's. Then I go to Lyse's and Hilary's for further warm insight. Then I go to Bradford's text for the deep perspective, that usually gives me the clarification I need to brush up the panorama. At this point the insight is formed. I consult Huang and Legge when I need further comprehension of the hexagram structure. N.Richmond for psychological aspects and Jou,Tsung H. to freshen up the concept.
:bows:

yamabushi

visitor
Reaction score
I personally find the Aleister Crowley translation very good.
Also I found one author that nobody has not mention yet; Donatella Bergamino and her I ching version. Nobody heard aboud it, but I found it extraordinary good...

charly

visitor
Reaction score
I personally find the Aleister Crowley translation very good.
Also I found one author that nobody has not mention yet; Donatella Bergamino and her I ching version. Nobody heard aboud it, but I found it extraordinary good...
Hi, Yamabushi:

The work of Crowley was not a translation, but a reelaboration of Legge, according with his personal understanding of the occult western tradition.

I didn't know Donatella Bergamino, there is a spanish translation about which I found the following commentary:

Authors: Donatella Bergamino and Meldi Diego.
Title: I CHING Book of Changes.
Original title: I Ching, Book Il delle mutazioni.
The Castilian version of Enrique García Ballesteros.
Learn More Editorial Library LIBSA.
2005 Editorial LIBSA, Spain.

There are many translations and editions of the I Ching available in bookstores, and not because China has become fashionable. Like any ancient text (the original Chinese text is more than two thousand years), the I Ching, Book of Mutations or Book of Changes, was finally introduced and popularized in the West in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries (as well as The Secret of the Golden Flower) after Carl Gustav Jung put the magnifying glass.

The first issue I had in my hands the I Ching was a pocket which I gave to a friend. I do not like paperbacks who choose to summarize the original text, and very few have an adequate translation. Editorial LIBSA This is printed on a gut sorry low-quality bond paper, cardboard and flexible cover with a bright filter falls to the third layer of sweat. However, in addition to the full original text of I Ching, I think it's an excellent translation, introduced by a fairly comprehensive section that explains the history and contents of the book, so that not only is an issue to "see" the I Ching, but also for those exploring the ancient Chinese culture.

There are many beautifully illustrated editions, I guess this does not matter how little luxurious in the way, because what really matters here is the content. What I like about this edition, besides what I have already pointed out, is the layout of the information for each hexagram. Are numbered and named according to the method Wade, accompanied by an illustration and a summary of key. Then the text of King Wen and after the comment of the Duke of Chou. In the end, a short commentary on the hexagram Confucius in question.

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Hexagram 33. TUN. Retreat.

The withdrawal leads to success. Prosperity in the small. Best fortune.

Explanation of King Wen

The strength of the opposition is such that at this moment the best we can do is retire. But this way of acting is nothing bad, because our flight is not hopeless, it's just a smart way to keep intact our forces and wait for the right moment to act. The withdrawal is a sign of intelligence, because it shows that we can understand that luck is on our side and we chose to wait patiently.

Commentary on the fifth line

The fifth line, whole, shows a person who retires admirably. If fortune will consistently and correctly.

Duke of Chou comment on the fifth line mutable

In this case, the withdrawal occurs quietly, as carried out wise and intelligent people who know how to choose the appropriate time and address all amicably, avoiding painful discussions. Naturally, all that is gently externally, inside should result in an absolute inflexisibilidad: smiling, yes, but very firm on their own ideas.

Confucius said ...

Freedom to live in solitude. Retiring is what the times require, and nothing can stop us. Should reign within us the strength and clarity to know when we get moving again.

From: http://elultimatumhiperboreo.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html
Translated by Google.

Yours,

Charly

yamabushi

visitor
Reaction score
Hi, Yamabushi:

The work of Crowley was not a translation, but a reelaboration of Legge, according with his personal understanding of the occult western tradition.

I didn't know Donatella Bergamino, there is a spanish translation about which I found the following commentary:

Yours,

Charly

Hy Charly,

Well, I think that Crowley do it very good.
I also think that Donatella Bergamino work is suprisingly good, much better then Carol K. Anthony.

ilemacedonia

visitor
Reaction score
yamabushi,
I also think that Crowley's commentaries are matching the point of the hexagrams and lines in it. I also like his correspondences with astrology and tarot on certain places. I always look into his book when I consult I Ching.

ianek

visitor
Reaction score
>>Wilhelm, Book of Changes, the godfather of the Yi simply my classic since I started from here and he got such a beautiful language - in my motherstongue, that is.
Yes, it's very good. Bu let me refer to the translation by Iulian Shchutskii (Shchutskii, Iulian. Researches on the I Ching.). It is note very known, I understand, but this translation is as good as Wilhelm's one. Now, I think that all translations are not sufficient, one should see the raw chineese text and think about all meaninngs of hieroglyphs.
This is very good site with hyperlinks to dictionaries : http://wengu.tartarie.com/wg/wengu.php?no=23&l=Yijing

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
1. my own
2. Hilary,
3. The I Ching cards by Han Boering
4. Bradford,
5. Wilhelm,
Alfred Huang occasionally
sometimes for fun:
The illustrated book of changes" by Li Yan
The Tao of I Ching by You Tsung Hwa
Books which I love, don't consult anymore, but sometimes page through are
Zhouyi by Richard Rutt,
YiJing by Wu Jing Nuan,
I Ching by Richard Lynn,
The I Ching: text and annotated tr. by Liu Dajun
A great help has been
I Ching by Ritsema and Karcher

S

sooo

Between Wilhelm's powerfully exaggerated and poetic images, LiSe's delightful organic bare-bones richness, and Bradford's impeccable attention to detail, my own cognition has little difficulty fleshing out what's going on.

yamabushi

visitor
Reaction score
Does anybody know about The Wisdom of the I Ching by Eyler Robert Coates, Sr ?
I think it is very succsesful attempt...

And also Wu wei I ching workbook. That book have lot of shortcomings but also have its value...

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).