...life can be translucent

Menu

Hex 2.4.5 > 45 broken printer

danadanadana

visitor
Reaction score
My large, expensive inkjet printer which is the basis of my business is clogged, and nothing I do will seem to fix it. I finally asked the oracle for help with the question: "How can I get my inkjet printer back to full working order?" The answer was Hex 2.4.5 > 45. I think this does describe my situation, work has ground to a halt, but what can I do to fix the problem?

S

sooo

Hi Dana,

Not many clues to go on, such as whether the problem is with ink flow or if it's electrical etc. 2 tells me to be open, line 4 reminds me of an ink cartridge or source that doesn't open or flow, line 5 describes the middle or mean and proper balance or adjustment, and speaks of deserved prominence (such as a qualified tech). 45 says to get it together, which also means gathering information and resources. It could also be interpreted that the machine has gathered dust and garbage which clogs and slows the mechanism, closing it off (line 4).

Based on this reading, I think you need to be open to finding someone who is qualified to repair it, but if you do wish to trouble shoot yourself, I'd check the openings in the ink dispersing mechanism. I'd run the cleaning and maintenance operations, provided as part of the printer's software. Then replace cartridges, if running trouble shooting and cleaning software doesn't free it up, even if they have enough ink, especially if you've used refilled or rebuilt cartridges.

Good luck!

Bruce

tiziano

visitor
Reaction score
In my opinion, Yi is simply advising you to call the customer assistance.
"Assistance" is the sense of hex. 2 and "to call for people" is the general meaning of hex. 45.
So doing, you will act as a king who lets others work for him (2.5) by simply filing a complaint to authority (2.4: the tied up bag was a polite way a minister could file a complaint to his king).

Remember you didn't ask "what's not working in my printer?", nor "what can I do to fix it myself?", but "how to get it back to full working order?", and Yi's answer couldn't be more straightforward.

danadanadana

visitor
Reaction score
Bruce - thanks for your thoughtful response. I am pretty sure the problem is a clog and it looks like Yi confirms that idea.

Tiziano - I will go ahead and ask the question differently as you suggest.

I asked "What is not working on my printer?" and received Hex 55.1.4.6 > 52
Then I asked, "How can I fix the printer?" and received Hex 55.6 > 30 !!
I am not sure how to interpret but the repeated Hex 55 is very interesting!

Many thanks for the reponses!

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion, Yi is simply advising you to call the customer assistance.
"Assistance" is the sense of hex. 2 and "to call for people" is the general meaning of hex. 45.
So doing, you will act as a king who lets others work for him (2.5) by simply filing a complaint to authority (2.4: the tied up bag was a polite way a minister could file a complaint to his king).
Remember you didn't ask "what's not working in my printer?", nor "what can I do to fix it myself?", but "how to get it back to full working order?", and Yi's answer couldn't be more straightforward.

Interesting I never heard that before....a new light on 2.4 ?

tiziano

visitor
Reaction score
Interesting I never heard that before....a new light on 2.4 ?

I've found that in Javary-Faure, Yi Jing. Le livre des Changements, Albin Michel:

"Sac ficelé: (...) Il est également possible qu'il soit fait ici allusion à des remontrances, car le rituel des Han précise que tout mémoire adressé au souverain devait être enveloppé dans un sac noir et scellé."

"Tied bag: (...) It is also possible that allusion is made here to remonstrating, as the ritual of the Han states that any note addressed to the sovereign was to be wrapped in a black and sealed bag."
(sorry for my poor french-to-english translation...)

I didn't find any other reference to it though... it may be interesting to further investigate about the mentioned "Han ritual".

tiziano

visitor
Reaction score
Tiziano - I will go ahead and ask the question differently as you suggest.

I asked "What is not working on my printer?" and received Hex 55.1.4.6 > 52
Then I asked, "How can I fix the printer?" and received Hex 55.6 > 30 !!
I am not sure how to interpret but the repeated Hex 55 is very interesting!

mmmh...
1st line usually refers to materials, Li is documents or something round, so maybe something related with paper feeding?
4th and 6th line together make me think about firmware; if line 5 is the software in your computer (driver), then line 4 may be the printer's firmware listening and responding to it, and line 6may represent the fact that it's been installed by the manufacturer.

55.6 still says to me that you have to "call for people", exiting the "mourning hut" (sorry... I'm trying to see it differently...). the fact that it may represent the manufacturer and that hex 30 may mean "look above" reinforces this.
45 and 55 are the only 2 hex's in which "the king approaches his temple" at the judgement*. I usually like to think hex 45 is king Wu gathering his people after the solar eclipse of hex 55 makes him exit the mourning hut.

I can be more detailed this afternoon.

*) EDIT: errata corrige: 45 and 55 are two of the three hexagrams where "the king approaches" something at the judgment. Details in a new post when ready ;)

Last edited:

tiziano

visitor
Reaction score
I've found that in Javary-Faure, Yi Jing. Le livre des Changements, Albin Michel:

"Sac ficelé: (...) Il est également possible qu'il soit fait ici allusion à des remontrances, car le rituel des Han précise que tout mémoire adressé au souverain devait être enveloppé dans un sac noir et scellé."

"Tied bag: (...) It is also possible that allusion is made here to remonstrating, as the ritual of the Han states that any note addressed to the sovereign was to be wrapped in a black and sealed bag."
(sorry for my poor french-to-english translation...)

I didn't find any other reference to it though... it may be interesting to further investigate about the mentioned "Han ritual".

I've read again some of the versions I have and generally all agree that this 4th line (as we all know) is about prudence when approching authority. "Tying a bag" is usually read as "concealing" something, or retain one's words.
Now, this has much to do with the derivative hex of line 3 (15), and also with its opposite counterpart (10) but in the direct derivative hex of this line, 16, prudence is taken into account once one is already involved in external manifestation, so (in my opinion, of course) it's not so much about retaining one's words and not to speak, but in finding a safer way to speak out one's truth, so as to get "no praise but no harm".
This is coherent with what Javary and Faure tell. In short, they write that "tied bag" (gua nang, 括囊) later became a literary expression used in classical texts "to symbolize wasted talents or to designate a literate who is retiring and does not participate in public life anymore." (Javary) This can also be found in Vinogradoff (Yi Jing. La marche du destin): "Gua nang also designates a scholar who does not sit anymore at the emperor's court." Faure (Le Yi Jing par lui-même) tells that this "alludes to a literate who dissents about the way the country is governed and so refuses to participate to public affairs and prefers to retire from the court", adding in a footnote that "a memorial was then addressed to the sovereign in a black and sealed bag."
I don't know their sources for this, but the french school generally owes much to experts like Anne Cheng, Alice Fano, Father Larre and Elisabeth Rochat de la Vallée (Pierre Faure is currently working and studying with her).

tiziano

visitor
Reaction score
Now about your printer and hex 55.
Reading it in terms of trigrams I've realised that it describes well the mechanism of sheet feeding, i.e. the rollers.
Li is the roller because it's round and turns on itself. It has a double meaning here because it also represents a written document, i.e. sheets already printed that are being ejected (Zhen = exit).
Xun and Dui can be read as the openings through which paper enters and exits the printer. Seen as materials, they seem to describe the qualities of plastic, which combines some properties of wood (e.g. burning or being flexible) and some of metal (e.g. melting).
I can see no allusion to the printing mechanism, so it seems the problem is related to the paper feeding system.
The lines may show us the nature of the problem. Line 1, the material, "meets his partner and lord", firmware, and this is good, so I think the hardware part is working and responding correctly. Line 4, in turn, "meets his hidden lord", so the communication between hardware and firmware seems to be established. But it is "screened off", and this seems to mean that the firmware itself is not being "seen". So the problem may reside in line 6, which is outside the printer and "above" the firmware. I have to conclude that this is a misbehaviour in the computer driver, which should be located at line 5 but has moved too far and can't get in communication with the firmware anymore. It is located at the end of action (Zhen), so maybe some recent modification to the operating system (such as the installation of new software) went too far and compromised the functioning of the drivers. The system is now "in isolation", tries to send signals ("peeping through his door") but "sees no one". So the printer remains still (52) -- this part seems pretty obvious.

In conclusion, I can suppose that a software misfunction is compromising the way the driver handles the commands to the firmware, especially about the control of the rollers' rotation.

Well, that's the best I can do for 55.1.4.6 > 52 ... it's just a try :D

EDIT: a silly thought, forgive me... is it perhaps a wireless printer which has been moved too far from the transmitter? :bag:

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I've read again some of the versions I have and generally all agree that this 4th line (as we all know) is about prudence when approching authority. "Tying a bag" is usually read as "concealing" something, or retain one's words.
Now, this has much to do with the derivative hex of line 3 (15), and also with its opposite counterpart (10) but in the direct derivative hex of this line, 16, prudence is taken into account once one is already involved in external manifestation, so (in my opinion, of course) it's not so much about retaining one's words and not to speak, but in finding a safer way to speak out one's truth, so as to get "no praise but no harm".
This is coherent with what Javary and Faure tell. In short, they write that "tied bag" (gua nang, 括囊) later became a literary expression used in classical texts "to symbolize wasted talents or to designate a literate who is retiring and does not participate in public life anymore." (Javary) This can also be found in Vinogradoff (Yi Jing. La marche du destin): "Gua nang also designates a scholar who does not sit anymore at the emperor's court." Faure (Le Yi Jing par lui-même) tells that this "alludes to a literate who dissents about the way the country is governed and so refuses to participate to public affairs and prefers to retire from the court", adding in a footnote that "a memorial was then addressed to the sovereign in a black and sealed bag."
I don't know their sources for this, but the french school generally owes much to experts like Anne Cheng, Alice Fano, Father Larre and Elisabeth Rochat de la Vallée (Pierre Faure is currently working and studying with her).

Thats very interesting and I think theres definately something in it. Thinking of recent 2.4 experiences of my own its quite fitting and illuminating

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).