...life can be translucent

Menu

barely say this.. dark.. 36

signs

visitor
Reaction score
This is a very personal philosofical issue about the IC and me using it as an oracle. I tend to call the IC my wisest friend.

as we all assume the IC orginates in China. Or at least I do. It's is very very old... 4000 years I've red and been told.
When I was a scholar we learned about the whites, the red, yellow and black people as a differenciation box/group/race(..) kinda determination..

There is a man in my life. Already three times when asking (3) various questions about him and my relationship to him I get 36 or 36 as following hexagram.
36 is dark. Not the most wished for hexagram one could like to cast...
Dark.
But! It is about a very -dark- african man we're/i'am talking here about. He very much doesn't give me shivers of negative and dark energy. The contrary I say.

I encountered the IC sometimes responding very literaly. Like a couple of years ago asking things about the health of my doggy and getting -Chien- hexagram 15: modesty/egolessnes while -Chien- means literaly means -Dog- in French (France is the country where I live)..

If the IC is 4000 years old... but that time 'one' didn't know alot about the other 'races', the black, red or white... How to describe.. black.., dark..

I'd love to exchange of insight in this literaly/non-literaly outcomes of the IC with fellow forum members.

Namaste

bamboo

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Namaste,

yes, I agree the YI can be quite literally taken at times, and it seems at those times most like a sage with a great sense of humor. I wouldn't, though, discount the idea that there is another meaning from 36. there might be some hiding of the light, things you might wish to know about...it's hard to speculate without knowing your questions. It doesnt necessarily mean dark in the frightening sense, but things that are being shielded, maybe self-protection.

I am trying to remember times when I seemed to get very literal responses...but it is hard to recall. Once I got 29 which indicated a blizzard...I dont think there is any better way for the Yi to say "snow" then 29, and 29.6 is a good image of being snowed in!

zhan1

visitor
Reaction score
Hi signs,

Developing an understanding of the Yi involves learning to appreciate Chinese culture and language, just as much as it is a living practice of divination.
Therefore if we seek to understand the meaning of a line of text, we have to first appreciate that the authors were writing for an audience that shared their cultural background. The literate class in ancient China had an immense fondness for metaphors, symbols, and all kinds of figurative expressions. Like all who enjoy poetry, they found these subtle shades of meaning very appealing and, of course, these meanings are sometimes not recognized when first encountering a written work. So I think we have to be very cautious in making assumptions and/or recommending literal interpretations.

There are also references in the text to actions that are very violent, such as nose-cutting, foot-cutting, and so on and I’m sure no one wants to suggest that an inquirer could or should go ahead and take any reference literally, especially considering the fact that some individuals have great difficulty in controlling themselves. Recent events in the news only highlight this situation.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
This is a very personal philosofical issue about the IC and me using it as an oracle. I tend to call the IC my wisest friend.

as we all assume the IC orginates in China. Or at least I do. It's is very very old... 4000 years I've red and been told.
When I was a scholar we learned about the whites, the red, yellow and black people as a differenciation box/group/race(..) kinda determination..

There is a man in my life. Already three times when asking (3) various questions about him and my relationship to him I get 36 or 36 as following hexagram.
36 is dark. Not the most wished for hexagram one could like to cast...
Dark.
But! It is about a very -dark- african man we're/i'am talking here about. He very much doesn't give me shivers of negative and dark energy. The contrary I say.

I encountered the IC sometimes responding very literaly. Like a couple of years ago asking things about the health of my doggy and getting -Chien- hexagram 15: modesty/egolessnes while -Chien- means literaly means -Dog- in French (France is the country where I live)..

If the IC is 4000 years old... but that time 'one' didn't know alot about the other 'races', the black, red or white... How to describe.. black.., dark..

I'd love to exchange of insight in this literaly/non-literaly outcomes of the IC with fellow forum members.

Namaste

Personally I really don't think 36 would be referring to the colour of his skin ! Afterall 36 is about protecting the light not darkness as such and besides one can't equate dark skin to darkness as in threats such as the possible threats to the sincere person in 36. So I really don't think this would be a literal answer....

I had plenty of literal answers but I don't think you had one there, I think you need to think about the meaning of 36 again in relation to your question. 36 can be about having to conceal ones true thoughts because the environment is unsympathetic... Can you make a leap from that idea to someone just being African, having black skin ? I don't mean to quash your thoughts its just I think you may be missing something if you settle for 36 as meaning him having black skin. In close relationships 36 can just mean it doesn't feel safe to be fully open with your feelings with a person...when i used the word 'threats' above these can be on any level where you don't feel fully safe to be yourself, reveal who you, are so you must hide or put on an act. That could happen even in the closest relationship at times

Re literal answers I've had I've had 9.4 re actual physical blood several times, 46.3 arriving someplace to find noone there several times.........theres others but can't think of them now. Oh 8.3 for actually going to the wrong meeting in the wrong room so the wrong people !

Last edited:

mythili

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Signs - take a look at Lise's site for 36. The Sabian symbols and her explanations are often spot on. One of her renditions of 36 is an experience of falling madly in love, and having to be careful to not let it go off balance.

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
'Dark man' occurs in Wilhelm 10.2

Nine in the second place means:
Treading a smooth, level course.
The perseverance of a dark man
Brings good fortune.

Hilary renders 'dark man' as hermit. Bradford, as the secluded one. I think it may refer to one isolated in the mourning hut ritual.

signs

visitor
Reaction score
where can I find this info on 36?

Signs - take a look at Lise's site for 36. The Sabian symbols and her explanations are often spot on. One of her renditions of 36 is an experience of falling madly in love, and having to be careful to not let it go off balance.

mythili
where can I find this info on 36?

steve

visitor
Reaction score
nothing lasts forever..to its highest point

Steve

Last edited:

mythili

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I shld have given you the link to Lise's site. Sorry. Glad that Knot did.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).