...life can be translucent

Menu

why the limitation?

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
:bows: If in regarding an communication issue one gets 60.1 into 29 and ask why are there imposed limitations from hex 60 and then gets as an answer hex 30.2 into 14 - what does it actually means, please? Just waiting for the right time or something else is there to it? :confused:

jfas

visitor
Reaction score
Dragona, you've asked the I Ching a lot of questions seemingly about the same relationship. You've received a lot of answers. But you don't seem to be gaining any more insight into it. It seems to me you are seeking a particular answer and are not receiving it.

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
I hear you, thanks. But not all relates to the same, though most does. I have started with YI from Carol K. Anthony`s book and she encourages to ask more about the same thing; even 3 times for beguiners-now, that can be confusing :) Using many sources is confusing for me too. Some say try not to complicate, but Yi seams to go deep, sometimes really deep. Confusing times for me :-S

icastes

visitor
Reaction score
:bows: If in regarding an communication issue one gets 60.1 into 29 and ask why are there imposed limitations from hex 60 and then gets as an answer hex 30.2 into 14 - what does it actually means, please? Just waiting for the right time or something else is there to it? :confused:

The idea is to pay attention to the hexagram and what it says. 60 means that you must do your duty, be moderate and self-controlled, and content in your position. That the change is to 29 is a greater warning: If you overstep your bounds, your luck will be very bad; you will be in a position where you can neither advance nor retreat. Now, consider what you have been doing. Have you been self-contained and moderate and keeping your position? Or have you been all over the place and constantly over-stepping your bounds? Basically, if you have not been in control over yourself, then the fact is that 29 means that you are lost in an abyss, and that with great faith you may climb out of it. However, the 60 provides you a means not to fall into that abyss.

30is very auspicious for people who maintain the correct path, otherwise there is failure. Rather than constantly inquiring the Yi, the Yi says to correct your behavior or face failure.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I hear you, thanks. But not all relates to the same, though most does. I have started with YI from Carol K. Anthony`s book and she encourages to ask more about the same thing; even 3 times for beguiners-now, that can be confusing :) Using many sources is confusing for me too. Some say try not to complicate, but Yi seams to go deep, sometimes really deep. Confusing times for me :-S

Heres some advice....ditch Carols Anthonys book and buy Hilarys book instead. I'm sure it will be far more useful..

Can't seem to link to it in Amazon but theres a link at the end of Hilarys first post in this thread http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?t=11246

Things will be so much less confusing when you have her book....

Last edited:

RindaR

visitor
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly.

Rinda

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
You should also stop taking the translated names of the hexagrams so seriously.
This is a common mistake and the root of much knee-jerk overreaction. Limitation is also concentration, focus, parsimony, sufficiency.

dragona

visitor
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your advices.:bows:
I had found her book helpful, but also found Richard Wilhelm & Cary F. Baynes translation, 1950: http://www.wisdomportal.com/IChing/IChing-Wilhelm.html#8 (hope this is the right stuff) and my old professor told me that this translation is the standard and the best one.

I am overly analysing person with big imagination, so I tend to go overboard, especially when in such a hard period in my life as this now is. And YI is like a good friend-telling me to calm down-but easier said than done when seams like my life is all for nothing, wasting in wain... My mind is narrowed now-that is what I am saying...so thank you again for your help.

But a question still: can it be the right thing to build some kind of symbolical meaning one relates to each hexagram individualy? Or should we approach hexagrams without any previosly built prejudice? Seams hard to do, because for a good divinator, experiance must be the key...or just cool head in relating to the issue..For instance, the image of an abyss is scary and quite hopeless to overcome for me..so I remember it as a lost cause, especially since once it was just that...hope I am making some sence :rolleyes:

elias

visitor
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to come the the defense of Carol Anthony -- she does very well on relationship issues (on simple "communication issues", perhaps not so much), and hammering the notion that you need to get past your own ego and find the proper mindset rather than falling into tricks of the ego. I do find her somewhat contrarian at times. I also disagree with her "conversations" with IC -- doing 3 or 4 or 6 readings in a row. In my experience that leads to a sloppy mess of interpretive jargon.

But a question still: can it be the right thing to build some kind of symbolical meaning one relates to each hexagram individualy? Or should we approach hexagrams without any previosly built prejudice? Seams hard to do, because for a good divinator, experiance must be the key...or just cool head in relating to the issue..

Experience is important. Every interpreter brings her/his own issues to the interpretation. I've seen some books that are almost machiavellian about influencing people. Others are all about business and leadership issues, or promoting a philosophical system, or old-fashioned fortune-telling, or taking a fundamentalist approach to some putative "original" text.

The most useful thing one can do when starting out in IC is gain access to an array of texts and learn to recognize the tendencies of the authors. I do not think it is good practice to trust any single author on all issues -- the realm of experience out there is simply too broad for any individual to grasp.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).