1. 3
2. 2
3. 7
4. 2
5. 0
6. 8

Checking only a few cases:

Wilhelm: Misfortune.
Bradford: Disappointing (16.1). Forboding (29.1). Unfortunate (47.3).
Hilary: Pitfall.

48.0 is the only judgment that contains as a one-word statement.

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
xiong-pitfall.gif

Xiong: pitfall, baleful, terrible. It is exchangeable with 1, praying figure with cross in face or mouth: desperate or unanswered prayer? Meaning also to fear. At right (2): Xiong elder brother: the one who performs the prayers. The first character looks like an abbreviation of the second one, a simpler way of drawing it. But a picture of a pit where someone fell into, is also possible.
hex58-a.gif
And this is the character Duì, name of hexagram 58. I think it has to do with an answered prayer, or simply 'being answered', by gods or people. Since it is being pronounced totally different, it might be that the two lines at the top are the basic meaning, with the figure more like an explanation, specifying it.

charly

visitor
Reaction score
48.0 is the only judgment that contains as a one-word statement.
Hi, Tom:

Yes, there are, I believe, five judgements with XIONG But H.48 is the only in which appears between dots. DOES IT MEAN THAT ALL IS BAD?

I don't trust too much in DOTS. Parsing was not used in Zhou Yi times. It is a nice manner for manipulating the sense without need of commentaries.

jing3: warn / well /
gai3: to change / to alter / to transform / to correct /
yi4: city /
bu4: (negative prefix) / not / no /
gai3: to change / to alter / to transform / to correct /
jing3: warn / well /

wu2: without / not / no / avoid /
sang4: mourning / funeral /
wu2: without / not / no / avoid /
de2: obtain / get / gain / proper / suitable /

wang3: to go / to go forth/ past / previous / towards /
lai2: to come / to come back /
jing3 : well /
jing3 : well //井井 jing3 jing3: tidy

qi4: near /
zhi4: arrive / most / to / until /
yi4: also /
wei4: not yet /
yu4: a well-rope /
jing3: well /

lei2: weak / entangled / lean / feeble like a lamb /
qi2: his / her / its / theirs / that / such / it /
ping2: bottle / jar / vase / pitcher /

xiong1: fierce / terrible / ominous /

Time ago, Wilhelm / Baynes BROKEN JUG made me think in the common meaning of LOST VIRGINITY, but the word applied to the jug is lei2 that means WEAK and not BROKEN.

Another common sense of JUG is WOMB. A weak womb makes some sense: IF THE WOMB IS WEAK ...

For people worrying about FERTILITY nothing furthers if the womb is weak.

The WELL is the indispensable source of life and fertility. Of course, IF THE ROPE IS SHORT... speaks of male worrying. Maybe it was the same rope used for tying the LOST COW!

To have a WELL is condition for ENJOING A SUSTAINABLE GARDEN OF EDEN, A PARADISE. And we may be expulsed from almost all the paradises.

Except the WELL all is worrying. (1)

Of course, the WELL is associated with LOVE, its promises and dangers.

18 Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.
19 Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.

Proverbs 5: 18/19
King James Version

All the best,

Charly

Ch.

Last edited:

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Concurring with the note on parsing. There are sometimes wide variations between versions of the received texts, such as the Zhouyi Zhezhong, the Harvard-Yenching and the ZD Sung. I don't think any one of them consistently makes the most sense either.
In this case xiomg describes the result of both of the clauses that precede it, just as qi zhi refers to both of the clauses that follow it.
It's often useful to play with, study and choose between these parsing variations. I list a bunch of these at my Vol. 2, pp 411-4.
My own preference is to parse more frequently but regard them as less hard, or more as commas than periods.

bradford

(deceased)
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Any idea when the was introduced?

Harmen, Luis and LiSe have stared at more of the old Zhouyi texts than I have, but punctuation marks were already in use for the older known versions of the Zhouyi, so at least by the 4th century BCE. They weren't standardized yet, though. There are some marks listed on page 8 here:
www.aai.uni-hamburg.de/MPC/Introduction.pdf
The punctuation particle Ye 也, often mistakenly translated as a word like "indeed", was also a later addition.

Last edited:

charly

visitor
Reaction score
XIONG is present in the name of the HUNS, terrible enemies of the chinese.

匈奴
xiong1nu2 (1)​

Of course, not all them were so horrible:

01300000178518124728004186773.jpg

From: http://tupian.hudong.com/a3_10_00_01300000178518124728004186773_jpg.html

Probably XIONG might be translated as:

UNAUSPICIOUS FOR UNFAIR INTENTIONS
[The elder brothers have another look] (2)​

Yours,

Charly

(1) Never translated in texts, only XIONG-NU or HSIUNG-NU, but ancient chinese knew that each character standing alone meant : BREAST / CHEST and SLAVE / SERVANT, say, BREASTY SERVANTS or EXHUBERANT MAIDENS. Ancient chinese did not only think at WAR ...

(2) Now is unederstandable why LiSE spoke of ELDER BROTHERS.

Ch.

Last edited:

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).