...life can be translucent

Menu

Method of Divination

Reaction score
I recently figured something out. I am slow sometimes. It does not matter what method I use for divination. It all resonates with myself, my symbols in my head, and what is taking place at that moment in time. yay!

I use LiSe Heyboer's Site for virtual Yarrow - http://www.yijing.nl/i_ching/index.html
I use yarrow I've purchased online... and toothpicks!
and I have used coins...
But I have also asked the book directly by feeling on the pages and opening to a hexagram...
Or I have come across a number and used it ...

It doesn't matter! The intention, moment and symbols that are within are all that is needed. It all works!

Ok. Sorry, I changed. I use to be gung ho yarrow. and I use to get into the statistics...

............which plays a part. ..... But one is neither right nor wrong.

:rant:

pocossin

visitor
Reaction score
It doesn't matter! The intention, moment and symbols that are within are all that is needed. It all works!

I am in sympathy with this point of view, but I also think the objects used in casting have symbolic value. It's a matter of which gives you the most sense of connection.

Reaction score
I agree pocossin... and sometimes the length of time .. like the yarrow gives you more time to think and get into the moment...

bamboo

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I remember reading in some book's introduction that "Ching Freaks in California use license plate numbers to get a reading while they drive.." sometimes, if i am really feeling "in the flow" the numbers on mailboxes speak to me as I drive by .

but I think yarrow sticks feel the most sacred...like you said, the time involved and the whole feeling of ritual is special.

It seems like I Ching is a language, and over time as you become fluent in it, you 'hear' it speaking to you all the time. so many times in conversations with ordinary people, I want to speak Yi....you know, say something like, "oh that is so 34" or "40!!!!" . Nothing can so uniquely and exquisitely grok a situation like the Yi language. a shame more people are not acquainted with it.

Reaction score
It seems like I Ching is a language, and over time as you become fluent in it, you 'hear' it speaking to you all the time. so many times in conversations with ordinary people, I want to speak Yi....you know, say something like, "oh that is so 34" or "40!!!!" . Nothing can so uniquely and exquisitely grok a situation like the Yi language. a shame more people are not acquainted with it.

Yes! so true!

The Language of Yi - Not spoke or heard by many...

water 0n earth

visitor
Reaction score
Hi all,

There is an Eastern saying, “Supernatural exist or not is depending on one’s belief”.

It does not matter what divination we use, if we have faith in it, it may be true. However, we have to know what school of I Ching Study of Divination we are using, or else we might use the wrong prediction for different method. That is another reason for many of us has our own reading with the wrong answer all the times, and when it happen, we try to come up with different reasons for our wrong prediction.

Nevertheless, if we did 10 reading and 5 wrong, is it time for us to think about it? It does not matter what kind of divination we use, if we cannot get 70% right, we need to think twice.

Let us use a real example of coins oracle:

Of course, coins prediction is a total different school of study of I Ching compare to the rest of them. We must know that method to predict; otherwise, nine out of ten we should have a wrong answer, and if we are lucky for one time, do not bet on it. Occasionally if we are lucky, there would be only one line changing, then we can use the Text or changing line to predict and we would be right by luck. However, when there is no changing line, or more than 1 moving line, most of the time we are in trouble. This had proven by the Eastern for over thousands of years ago. Therefore, if we have the wrong answer it just natural.

On February 20 1999, there is a woman used 3 pennies to cast an oracle with a question, “Should I go to Vietnam, and is it good or bad”? She got a 13 Hexagram standing still – no changing.

Let us use Richard Wilhelm's translation see how it’s answer is:

THE JUDGMENT

FELLOWSHIP WITH MEN in the open.
Success.
It furthers one to cross the great water.
The perseverance of the superior man furthers.

True fellowship among men must be based upon a concern that is universal. It is not the private interests of the individual that create lasting fellowship among men, but rather the goals of humanity. That is why it is said that fellowship with men in the open succeeds. If unity of this kind prevails, even difficult and dangerous tasks, such as crossing the great water, can be accomplished. However, in order to bring about this sort of fellowship, a persevering and enlightened leader is needed--a man with clear, convincing, and inspiring aims and the strength to carry them out. (The inner trigram means clarity; the outer, strength.)

THE IMAGE

Heaven together with fire:
The image of FELLOWSHIP WITH MEN.
Thus the superior man organizes the clans
And makes distinctions between things.

Heaven has the same direction of movement as fire, yet it is different from fire. Just as the luminaries in the sky serve for the systematic division and arrangement of time, so human society and all things that really belong together must be organically arranged. Fellowship should not be a mere mingling of individuals or of things--that would be chaos, not fellowship. If fellowship is to lead to order, there must be organization within diversity.

Does not matter how we explain it by the Western I Ching Prediction, seem like it does not have any thing to do with her oracle by using the Text of I Ching compare to her reality. However, with the coins School of I Ching prediction we can nail it in a heartbeat, without asking her situation.

Let us explain how we could nail our prediction without asking her anything else.

Hexagram 13 同人 (tóng rén) No Changing, on February 20 1999 is January (Yin Tiger –Wood) 5 (Yin Water Cat), the year of the Earth Cat (Yin Earth Cat – Wood)

6. --- Children at Dog branch (Yielding/Encounter) – White Tiger
5. --- Money/Wife at Monkey branch – Flying Earth Snake or Yellow Dragon
4. --- Brother/sister at Horse branch – Earth
3. --- Occupation/Problem at Pig branch (Self) – Fire Bird or Vermillion Bird of the South
2. - - Children at Buffalo branch - Green Dragon
1. --- Parent at Cat branch - Black Tortoise of the North

After spell out 6 lines of Hexagram 13, my prediction was:

The Self at Pig branch is Water at the sick cycle of January, and die on the cycle of Cat day and Cat year, the Self has no energy to do anything; therefore, cannot go anywhere. The reason is of a court date, because Fire Bird star represents argument, and Problem at the Self means that. What is the cause for this problem? The Self in line 3 yielding with line 6, Children at Dog branch rest on White Tiger star, Earth pair with the year and day of the Cat - strong wood, strong wood will hurt weak Earth in the spring, as he wil be lock down by the authority. Your son the one who born on the year of the Dog committed a high crime (line 6 = high; Yang = past), and he will be caught. In the Hexagram 13, Month Tiger, form with line 4 Money – Horse and line 6 Children – Dog to a Triad of Fire – Money, so you need big money to bail him. You cannot go to Vietnam because of him. (He was born in 1982, the year of the Dog).

Two days later, his mom said that he join a group of friend burglarized an apartment. The owner was in his apartment that night, so her son shot and sent the man to the emergency room. They later find out that the hospitalized person happens to work in the White house as an intern. They caught her son one day from the date of the reading. Later the court tried to sentence him for life. His lawyer asked him to plea for bargain of 20 years. We did help him with a miracle and he was sentence for 12 years without taking the plea bargain, just because he believed in a prediction of his faith. His lawyer could not believe what was happen for his 30 years as a lawyer in Texas. Later, when the lawyer ran for a Judge position in one of a precinct, used the coins to consult an oracle and the answer was correct, too.

As we can see, each School of I Ching has its own way of reading for a perfect answer. Asian people do not accept vague answer. When they go to a Fortune Teller to ask a question, they expect a clear answer of what is going on out there that they do not know yet. In case if they already know what is coming, they want to know, the exact day, month, and year that will happen. That is why many times we tell them the hour, too. They are not so easy to believe like the Western people.

Of course, for those who read and consult less than 4,000 oracles would hardly believe what we said here.

We know this is not easy, but it is time to speak out the truth. That is the only way we can improve on our study of I Ching for perfection.

Water On Earth

Last edited:

dvid

visitor
Reaction score
We know this is not easy, but it is time to speak out the truth. That is the only way we can improve on our study of I Ching for perfection.

Ufff..I shake when somebody talks about the true. Maybe is better to talk about of your true, but why can be the true of the others?. You feel that your knowledge about ICHING is the real true, but not for me I use other trues, my respect for your true but it’s only yours.
I was following with interest your system maybe the technic is good but now I have doubts about you and your true.

Regards

dvid

chingching

visitor
Reaction score
That is why many times we tell them the hour, too. They are not so easy to believe like the Western people.

actually that makes it sound like 'easteners' believe anything a fortune teller tells them, even down to the hour.

I too was supportive of you, but this is seems more like rhetoric than discussion or debate. But thats your say and so be it.

Reaction score
I think I like coins the least :/ which I know a lot of people like. But I just don't like throwing like that. haha. Sounds stupid. I also think it has to do with the element metal being what the coins are made of. I think I like the softer feel of yarrow or flipping to a page. But this is JUST ME. I think a lot of people on this site love the coin method and it works really well for them.

See, I started this post... thinking about how I figured out that it doesn't matter the method. ... But I still find it interesting which methods people choose and which methods resonate better with different people.

Sure there are statistics... and Eastern vs Western....

Also, each hexagram shows different meanings to everyone. Although it is wonderful to express the archetypes involved and the universal/collective meaning for a specific Hexagram, it is also just as important to respect and rejoice that everyone has a different sense of the symbols that are reaching out to them.

I can read, for example, Hexagram 10 line 6:

Hilary's translation: Observe the footsteps, blessings from the ancestors.
They come full circle: good fortune from the source.

Since I had a dream about pink footsteps in the snow in the woods of my father's, I am going to think of this first and that image and memory will impact my end result of what the Yi says to me.

WHICH BRINGS ME TO AN OFF SUBJECT QUESTION:

If I am reading for someone else...... I still would be using the symbols that speak to ME right?? ........ Maybe it is a balance to take into consideration the other person and what the book could be saying to them vs me?? Someone help me with this!

water 0n earth

visitor
Reaction score
Dear Dvid and Chingching,

I am very sorry to make you feel uncomfortable, for that is not my intention.

This School of Study is there for few thousand years already. It is widely practice in Eastern and I just want to introduce to the Western. My intention is for us to improve our reading skill, not to show off or to put anybody down, or make any comparison of Eastern and Western. However, just trying to get the point across, I did not pay much attention to the way I worded it, and unfortunately somewhat hurt your feeling.

I remember when I first introduced it on my Vietnamese website many of the members hated me for that, some even cursed at me on my own website for highly value of it. Vietnamese educated people only value Zi wei dou shu (紫微斗數) - This procedure, sometimes loosely called (Chinese: 批命, pik meng) or Purple Star Astrology or Emperor/Purple (Star) or Polaris Star Astrology [learn more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zi_wei_dou_shu] , and anything else not scientific enough to them. However, after 10 years that School of I Ching said above has the most questions when they have some important things to ask.

Hope-fully 10 years later those of you who disagreed will have a different looks.

Again, please accept my apology for giving any of you an uncomfortable feeling. I come as a friend with good intention, not for any other reason.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).