...life can be translucent

Menu

Blog post: Living the image

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I’ve written before about not being in too much of a hurry to get past your reading’s imagery to ‘what it means’, because the image is what talks to you, and where you live, and somehow is the hinge and pivot of change in a way that a concept isn’t.

I just wanted to add that this makes it worthwhile to respond to readings in a very simple, child-like way. If your readings keep talking about horses, and you’re not sure how to make sense of that – don’t. Go and talk with some horses instead. (The only word of Horse I know is ‘hello’, said by blowing down your nostrils – but it goes a surprisingly long way.)

Puzzling over 40 line 4? Grab strongly, make a fist, then release your thumb, and pay attention. 31.1? Calls for toe-wriggling, also while paying attention. When writing about 20.2 for the book, I spent time at my partly-open front door and peering through the crack, so I was sure I knew what this looked like and how it felt. Hexagram 46 – climbed any hills lately? 9 – done any gardening?

Some lines (like 49.5 or 62.1) will likely require more imagination for you to live them in this way. But none requires you to know for sure what they refer to, or ‘make sense of’ them (an overrated pastime), or anything like that, before you start. And then it’s amazing what you can learn – more or less consciously – just by playing with the image.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I can't think of an image to play with 11.4

I could climb out of my window upstairs sit on the window ledge and think about jumping and maybe my neighbours would turn up to catch me

or then again according to your book they wouldn't help me and I'd better just jumping and trusting the breeze

can anyone think of a good way to live 11.4 to see how it feels.

BTW problem is with horse imagery is they are no longer incredibly fast valuable things to take you places so we have lost that image connection though i have often known horse = car but somehow i think the horse is much more than transport, ie guess its your energy and motivation

ps that could be my last post if neighbours don't catch me

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
...but I agree playing with the imagery, not just fixing on words, would probably make things much more accessible....sometimes

S

sooo

Along with experiencing the Image, I also experience the trigrams likewise. They don't contradict.

For example, it's easy to see that in being 11.4, that it is heaven which:

"He flutters down, not boasting of his wealth,
Together with his neighbor,
Guileless and sincere."

and places himself beneath his neighbor, or partner, earth; not landing atop earth with a host of angels blowing fanfares with trumpets, not with boasting of his wealth and creative power, but with sincerity and transparency.

This is also shown in the image:

"Heaven and earth unite: the image of PEACE.
Thus the ruler
Divides and completes the course of heaven and earth,
And so aids the people."

Doesn't say rule the people, dictate the people, order the people, interrogate nor intimidate the people; it says aid the people.

I greatly prefer this approach to mere intellectual assent. In fact, it is Soism's primary precept. :)

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know, I think if you are in a field in the middle of a bunch of highly-strung inquisitive colts, they still seem pretty fast. Shiny cars, private helicopters, mobile phones, guided missiles etc might all have taken over some of the horse's original roles and meanings, but horses are still horses. Also, it's really hard to make a meaningful connection with a helicopter by offering it a Polo mint.

11.4 might be a moment to use your imagination. Though there is always this option.

(Glad to find myself in accord with precepts of Soism :) )

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know, I think if you are in a field in the middle of a bunch of highly-strung inquisitive colts, they still seem pretty fast. Shiny cars, private helicopters, mobile phones, guided missiles etc might all have taken over some of the horse's original roles and meanings, but horses are still horses. Also, it's really hard to make a meaningful connection with a helicopter by offering it a Polo mint.

11.4 might be a moment to use your imagination. Though there is always this option.

)

I have been trying to use my imagination re 11.4 ....after I landed

but its difficult when commentaries say the polar opposite

ie you and Bradford both say its a bit limp, fussing and fluttering around trying to get support here as there is none, ie not rich in these neighbours....

...and every other Yi commentator appears to says 'oh look here comes somthing helpful and supportive, genuine and sincere, not relying on rank'

they are very different views of 11.4

so it would seem the best thing to do is forget all about the commentarys and think what its like to be a bird about to fly...not sure if he can leave yet...but using the imagination one can see no one canhelp a bird, noone can hold its wing for its first flight, it simply must go off on its own, and if it fails as they sometimes do there is one dead bird but he had no choice and there was no question of hanging around waiting for help and umming and aarhing whether to jump/fly

On balance i think your commentary may hold more water than the other 99...in terms of imagery relating to commentary anyway

'fluttering, fluttering, Not rich in your neighbours-not on guard against truth and confidence'

you are like a bird on the edge of the nest, feeling for the moment when wind and wings will hold you. You are filled with the desire to express your power freely and be yourself through action, but you hesitate on the point of take-off and don't quite commit yourself to the air. Your existing connections fail to provide the help and support you need- so rather than staying home and going on the defensive, you'll need to extend yourself and explore elsewhere.

Last edited:

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
all the body part images are good to try though like 31.5...but maybe 38.3 not so good to try

Last edited:

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
:eek:
:eek:uch:

Wondering if instead of that pretentious 'living the image' title I should have called the post 'doing the actions'. And got lots of people doing funny walks whenever they get 31.

Trojina

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Theres probably definately a market space for "Enacting the I Ching" weekend courses with costumes and props and special effects.

You could hold them in your garden :rofl:

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Fairly sure the sheep in the next field would not be impressed.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).