...life can be translucent

Menu

17.2 to 58 how will my trip to Sri Lanka go?

oceanic

visitor
Reaction score
I am going to meet my ex-fiance in his home country after a long stalemate following the cancellation of our wedding plans. He is a young farmer, 25 and I am a 38 year old psychologist, so its an unconventional match by most people's standards. However we are both devout Buddhists and did a long pilgrimage to India together so became very close, living together as husband and wife. Since I returned home he has pursued me and I have finally surrendered, agreeing to return and see him, and probably set another wedding date. I asked how this trip was going to go and got 17.2 changing to 58.

I am a bit confused because 17.2 is inauspicious- the wrong man has been chosen to follow???, but the outcome is very auspicious- 58 shared joy. Or could it mean that despite the unconventinal choice, my choice of a young rural man not an older sophisticated urban one, I will nonetheless be happy?

Comments gratefully received!!! :bows: :bows:

icastes

visitor
Reaction score
17.2 is not inauspicious. It is about a choice. No matter what choice you make, you lose the alternative. Once you make one choice, you won't have the alternative to go to. Yet, 17 is very good for the journey, but it would be better if you take someone else along. Find a companion to make the trip with you, because 17 is one following the other. In this case, instead of an older man marrying a younger woman, we have the opposite case. Nevertheless, the 17 is about a marriage or love affair with a wide gap in age. The love is there, but it won't work if this love is simply lust. But you are both Buddhists and should know better. 58, while auspicious for travelling, is problematic about love and marriage. There are quarrels involved, and thus to succeed at love requires respect for each other by both parties. Marriage is also problematic, and a second woman may enter into the picture or there might be many quarrels. If, however, this marriage is actually a remarriage, then the hexagram is very auspicious. The Joy or the Lake is also a hexagram of two people talking. The lines that are negative are quarrels or negative talking, while the positive lines is good talk. So, it is necessary to be very prudent with your words and be a taciturn and then things will go well. Have a good trip.

oceanic

visitor
Reaction score
icastes thank you. My experience is that where there is a large age gap, most people assume the love is really lust, which is a great shame, and in our case about as far from the truth as you can get. To take a companion with me to such an intimate meeting, when we've been apart for 4 months now would seem odd... but I appreciate your input on this. I am not sure what constitutes 'remarriage', as I've never been married but have been partnered with a live-in partner, as if married, albeit many years ago. I've conducted some another reading about motivation and outcome, getting 1:1,4,5, 6- 46 which seems like yes there will be some difficulties as there always are with any relationship, and a warning against pride and overstepping the mark with each other. Anyway, time will tell, and yes I am aware that in such a charged and senstive situation I will need to be very careful.
Thanks again :)

gene

visitor
Reaction score
Hi Dakini

This is one of the few cases where I prefer Alfred Huang's translation to W/B. When you receive a yin line in the second place in a hexagram that easily lends itself to relationships, and the fifth line is yang, it usually augers well for that relationship. In this case, the 5th line is too far away, and the second line has a tendency to cling to what is close, i.e. the first line. The fifth line is the great man, however, the first line is inconsequential at this point. This is the little boy. It sounds to me like it is saying, and if I understand correctly, he is far away, that the person far away is the best place for you to be. It is almost as if it is talking not only about the man, but the place being better for you. Clinging to the little boy could mean staying where you are.

Gene

Last edited:

oceanic

visitor
Reaction score
Gene, thank you and this makes absolute sense on many levels. I do indeed have a big choice to make. There is a close male friend my age here, who wants more from me, but I cannot move on while my ex is still in my heart and won't give up contact. My friend understands this. Also for health reasons rural Sri Lanka is much better for me than inner London. I have an Ayurvedic physician in India who told me that I could cure a lot of health problems by living in Southern most India or Sri Lanka, due to the diet, climate and general way of life. I moved to India in 2009, met my ex on a pilgrimage to Sri Lanka and he came to my place in Bodhgaya to do a pilgrimage some months after that. I just recently returned here after the difficulties we had with my fiance's wider family- his father mainly- who is, unsurprisingly, quite threatened by the whole situation. It would give his son a lot of power financially because I have some money (by UK standards almost nothing but by their standards a great deal). However, I am not as foreign as most might be, I entirely fall in with the expectation that we stay there to look after his parents, I speak the language and am still learning, plus I dress tradtionally there, which I'm very comfortable with. Also it's a Buddhist country, and my spiritual practice is the centre of my life. I do the same prayers in Sanskrit! I even use Buddhist mindfulness based therapies to work with others. So apart from my upbringing and skin colour I am not SO foreign. My fiance is very Sri Lankan indeed. He was a monk until his brother died in an accident, and he then had to leave the monastery to take on managing the farm plus look after his parents. He loves his work but misses the devotional life. It is an unusual situation, but yes, my health is better there, I have more peace there, a greater sense of belonging there. I do sometimes get homesick though! But I can come back and see people if we do get married. So your interpretation makes sense in the wider context. I am going to get the interpretation you suggest, just looked it up on the internet. Thank you very much. :)

Olga Super Star

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Oceanic,

what an adventure!
How was your trip? Did you find that you were losing the great adult? Was this far away man the right one? did you get married in the end?

I would be interested to hear how it played out for you after all these years. I got the same line for a more trivial question, but still.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).