...life can be translucent

Menu

Blog post: Asking for awareness

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
In the past I’ve done a lot of readings, for myself and other people, seeking advice about what to do and how to do things. I expect I’ll do a lot more of them, too, because they are direct, clear, straightforward and massively useful.

‘How can I do this?’
‘What’s my best path?’
‘What if I try this?’
(Or ‘What if I commit to this?’ – which can yield a radically different answer.)

Lately, though, I’ve been asking more questions along the lines of,

‘What to be aware of here?’
‘What’s going on with this?’
‘What do I need to understand?’

I ask these in the hope that the answer will also show me something of how I can be here (wherever ‘here’ is) in a well-adapted way. And they do: I’ve been getting some hugely helpful answers from Yi, that say in effect: ‘Here’s what’s going on, here’s where you are, so to live here to the full, to navigate it, be like this.’

A tiny example… I was confronting something that always intimidates me, for no good reason that I could see, so I asked – what goes on here, with me and this thing? (And I was certainly hoping the answer would give me some idea how to be less inadequate about it.)

Yi’s answer: Hexagram 29, unchanging. After a moment, I realised this told me very exactly what it was and how to be. These were chasms to learn, and if I held my heart fast, movement would bring honour. (I got on and did the intimidating thing, and it went well.) Very direct, very immediate – a kind of instruction manual for the psyche in the moment.

Also… this kind of reading can create some compassion and patience for oneself. Chasms? OK, maybe it’s not quite so pathetic to be frightened. Or – demon country? OK, maybe my efforts here deserve a bit more respect, and maybe it’d help to adjust my expectations about how long it might take to change this particular pattern. I think this sense of compassionate recognition is one of the greatest gifts Yi offers.

If what I was saying the other day is right, and readings fundamentally bring about change through awareness – more than through advice or resolution – then what kind of reading is going to make the biggest difference? Should ‘what to be aware of?’ be the default question?

Tohpol

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
Should ‘what to be aware of?’ be the default question?

Absolutely. I think that is a great way to formulate a question. Afterall, the Yi, at its best is about bringing to attention those things that are not in our conscious awareness. It indicates the gaps in our awareness or those blindspots that have been grooved into existence by negative emotions and learned behaviour. So, I think this is really good. I shall use it in the future.

rosada

visitor
Reaction score
Good question!
Makes answers more accessible, useful.

Q:What to be aware of?

A:"If you are sincere, you have success in your heart,
And whatever you do succeeds."

"The superior man walks in lasting virtue
And carries on the business of teaching."

-Hexagram 29. Wilhelm

rosada

S

sooo

Should ‘what to be aware of?’ be the default question?

It's my default question, but usually with a 'pertaining to _____' added; but not always. Sometimes I'll leave the question entirely open, and contemplating it will lead to what I may not have considered, but is exactly what I need to be more aware of considering.

heylise

Supporter
Clarity Supporter
Reaction score
I often ask "what IS xxx?" It gives me great answers, and lots of insight into things. Nothing about "how to handle it" or so, but when you learn about something, you find yourself ways to deal with it.

Xxx can be anything. Something someone does, or a thought of myself, or a fear, or a general human trait. It is the same as asking for awareness, I think.

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
I like that one - 'what is it?' Simple, open, letting Yi say anything. Actually, I can think of at least one person to suggest that to right away.

I'm also partial to, 'What do I need to understand about x?'

P.S. Hey - the 'thanks' plugin has stopped working for me. The button's there, I click it, it disappears, but no 'thanks' registers. Clearly it works for Topal, though. Anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:

hilary

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah - worked it out - it's a new browser add-on that munged it. Ta.

Clarity,
Office 17622,
PO Box 6945,
London.
W1A 6US
United Kingdom

Phone/ Voicemail:
+44 (0)20 3287 3053 (UK)
+1 (561) 459-4758 (US).